Author Topic: Rosehall Street, Glasgow  (Read 6117 times)

Offline BJM

• RootsChat Extra
  • MURPHY
    • View Profile
Rosehall Street, Glasgow
« on: Thursday 03 May 12 00:19 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any pictures of Rosehall Street, Glasgow (just off the New City Road). The whole street and much of the surrounding area was demolished to clear space for the building of the M8 Motorway. My father was born & raised there but we do not have a single image of the street.

Thanks

BJM
MURPHY, Richard 1837/Edward C1815 Cork, Ireland - MERRITT, Catherine 1843/Richard 1803 Birr, Co.Offaly, Ireland  - MURPHY, Daniel 1866 Ayr, Scotland

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Rosehall Street, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 May 12 00:36 BST (UK) »
Don't immediately see any for Rosehall St.  However, there are quite a few of New City Road at various points at Virtual Mitchell, here........ http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php?a=street&s=item&key=rYToxOntpOjA7czoxMToiTmV3IENpdHkgUmQiO30=&pg=1

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Magdalin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
I was born at 9 Rosehall Street and lived with my Grandparents.  Would love to chat about my memories. I might have some photos.  Please reply if you would like to share info. Cheers

Offline BJM

• RootsChat Extra
  • MURPHY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 September 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Good morning

Thank you for your post.

My Grandparents originally lived at No.5 Rosehall Street but moved to No.10 in the early 1940s. My own father, Daniel Murphy, was born in No.10 in 1944. Were you and/or your family living in No. 9 at that time?

Kind regards

Brian Murphy
MURPHY, Richard 1837/Edward C1815 Cork, Ireland - MERRITT, Catherine 1843/Richard 1803 Birr, Co.Offaly, Ireland  - MURPHY, Daniel 1866 Ayr, Scotland

Offline Magdalin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 September 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
My Grandparents, Michael and Margaret McLaughlin, along with my mother and her two sisters were there, I was born there in 1950.  My Grandfather was a Master Carpenter and worked at Stophill Hospital.

I did not expect to receive any response so this is a nice surprise.  Thank you .

Kind regards,

Linda Gallacher

Offline BJM

• RootsChat Extra
  • MURPHY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 October 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

I was speaking to my Dad over the weekend and he was thrilled that we had made contact. He remembers a childhood sweetheart of his (from when he was 6 or 7) by the name of Rose McLaughlin and he is pretty certain she lived at 9 Rosehall Street. Just wondered if the name means anything to you and if so, is she a relation of yours?

Kind regards

Brian Murphy

Offline Magdalin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Sorry to disappoint your Dad but there are no "Rose's" in our family.  My aunt's names were Kathleen and Maureen (who are deceased) and my mum is Margaret but was called Peggy .  My mum is still alive and is 90 years old and she was the middle daughter.  Your Dad is closer to my age.  I remember playing with a girl and a wee boy who lived next door.  They were the middle unit on that floor.  However, I don't recall their name.  Their was a family above my Grandparents called the MacDougall's.  I moved to Canada in 1953 (December) came back to Scotland in 1955 and lived with my Grandparents and went to school there until summer of 1956 and then returned to Canada.  My Grandparents lived there until 1960 and then moved to Lambhill.  I have great memories of all the good times.   The news agents around the corner; the fish shop; the butchers; the coal man and the rag man, etc., No doubt your Dad does as well.  History in the making after WWII.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Kind regards,

Linda

Offline Steanie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 May 18 09:35 BST (UK) »
Just enjoying reading this old thread.  I, too, am looking for pictures of Rose Hall (Rosehall?), Glasgow as I found my McGilchrist ancestors were living at number 10 way back in 1891.  Sadly, I see that I'm too late; Google maps revealed that another of their addresses at Burgher Street had recently been flattened for redevelopment.
I think you were Brian's dad's sweetheart, Linda,  but  the haze of age had   caused him to blend the Rose from Rosehall with your surname : )
I made a trip from Ayr to the Wallace Monument, back in 2012 before I'd learned anything of my Scottish ancestry,  when my Sat Nav got  confused on that  City New Road ; at one point, I didn't realise till the end that I'd driven in a big 30 mile circle :/

Steve Lovell

Offline Jowleeyar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 March 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Just found out that my 89 year old step dad, Andrew Johnstone, was born in the maternity hosp in Glasgow but him mum lived at 18 Rosehall St. Andrew was a twin and was adopted soon after but we don't know where the twin went. His mum was Margaret Easson Johnstone. Andrew was born 2/3/1930. Does anyone know of Margaret or the other twin? Thanks Julia