Author Topic: Philip McGiffin/Elisabeth Healey  (Read 3464 times)

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Philip McGiffin/Elisabeth Healey
« on: Saturday 05 May 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Philip, from Clerkenwell London, travelled to Framlingham, Massachusets in about 1912 [?].   Met Elisabeth from Ireland. They married and ended up in Los Angeles in the 1930's as  roominghouse keepers  on 4th Street . They were naturalised American, and Philip died in 1955, Elisabeth a year or so later.   Philip was my grandfather and I woud love to know more about him, if any one can help, please.  Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Philip McGiffin/Elisabeth Healey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 May 12 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia

California Death index gives his name as Philip Edward McGiffin, born 29 March 1874, died 21 December 1955 (so we know we are on right track, does that accord with your understanding of his dates?)

Assuming we have the right man:-

Mother's name is given as Taylor

His WW1 draft registration card gives the same birthdate and he was living at 28 Union Street, Framingham, Middlesex, Mass in September 1918.  He is definitely married to Elizabeth by September 1918 as she is next of kin.

His eyes are grey and his hair is brown.

Job is a "Dye Stamper" for the US Government

His naturalisation records give him naturalised US Citizen on 25 February 1944

His school records in the UK say he attended Rosebery Street School in Camden, admitted on 13 June 1881 and left on 13 July 1881 to go to another school (doesn't specify which).   The School before Rosebery Street looks like Dome School.   The register confirms the birthdate of 29 March 1874.

It also gives his father's name as Robert so we have parents of Robert McGiffin marrying (someone) Taylor
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
Sylvia - was Philip married twice?

There is a Philip McGiffin marrying an Annie Peacock on April 18th 1897, son of Robert at St James, Clerkenwell.
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 12 13:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for swift reply.  Yes this is the guy!   He was married to Annie  [Hannah]  Peacock.   My father, also Philip, was born in 1897, a brother, Frederick, that we did not know anything about unitl I started this, born 1899.  There was, I think a daughter, but she must have been born and died between census.  Obviously there was tension between them and the families.  My father was brought up by a neighbour, Elisabeth Hodges and Frederick  was living with his uncle William  McGiffin in another part of London.  Annie went on to marry Walter Brennan   [Not the actor!] and had 3 more children.   So. 2 bigamists !  I found a Philip in WW1 but could not be sure if it was him as he was am immigrant.   His father was married to Elisabeth Taylor, a lot of Elisabeths!    Could there have been children?     Many thanks   Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 May 12 13:59 BST (UK) »
Wow  ;D

Complicated ....

Will see what else I can find....I did wonder if you were from the first marriage as I couldn't find any children for Philip and Elizabeth in the US.
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 12 14:07 BST (UK) »
Philip McGiffin/Annie Peacock children :-

Philip Edward born 29 March 1897, christened 25 July 1897 @ St James, Clerkenwell

Frederick Samuel born  25 October 1899 , christened 12 November 1899 @ St James, Clerkenwell

I can't see any other children for them being christened at St James' and Frederick Samuel,seems to have died in 1927
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 May 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for swift reply.  Yes this is the guy!   He was married to Annie  [Hannah]  Peacock.   My father, also Philip, was born in 1897, a brother, Frederick, that we did not know anything about unitl I started this, born 1899.  There was, I think a daughter, but she must have been born and died between census.  Obviously there was tension between them and the families.  My father was brought up by a neighbour, Elisabeth Hodges and Frederick  was living with his uncle William  McGiffin in another part of London.  Annie went on to marry Walter Brennan   [Not the actor!] and had 3 more children.   So. 2 bigamists !  I found a Philip in WW1 but could not be sure if it was him as he was am immigrant.   His father was married to Elisabeth Taylor, a lot of Elisabeths!    Could there have been children?     Many thanks   Sylvia

Interestingly his war record says his mother is the neighbour Elizabeth Hodges.   

I can't see Philip Snr leaving the UK though (yet)
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 May 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
Yes,   Elisabeth Hodges and her husband Christopher, took my dad in as their son.I do not think there was anything formal as he is described in various papers as, son, adopted son and Elisabeth   as mother, stepmother and guardian.  Christopher does not seem to have taken much part in this!  According to my mother, Philip was spoilt rotten by Elisabeth.    Philip Sen.  was always regarded as the villain, leaving his family, but as he had a long relationship with Elisabeth Healey, maybe Annie gave him a bad time as she was very quick to unload her boys.   But of course we do not know the circumstances and there was no  ''Benefits Agency'' then.   Frederick did die in 1927, but what of we do not know, illness probably, he was in WW1, in the navy, I think.  Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 May 12 15:15 BST (UK) »
Me again!    Could you find anything about the Los Angeles connection.   I have them in 4th St. as Roominghouse keepers.     Could there have been children?    All this stuff is fascinating.  I also found out that my mother Florence Shacklady was illegitimate  and her father is not known. He is down as Percy Shacklady but in spite of many searches   he has not been found.  There was a Percy Edwards  living nearby, but I doubt if it was him that got my grandmother 'with child'.   Thankyou for your help.  Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin