Author Topic: Philip McGiffin/Elisabeth Healey  (Read 3463 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Philip McGiffin/Elisabeth Healey
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 May 12 15:48 BST (UK) »
The 1949 San Pedro, California city directory has this:

McGiffin, Phillip E. (Eliz L), home 298 W. 4th

This looks like the same address that they were at for the 1930 Census.  Interestingly, the census doesn't seem to address any prior marriage, because Phillip is listed as age 56 and Elizabeth was age 53.  Phillip's age at 1st marriage was listed as 43, and Elizabeth's was 40.  Given Elizabeth's age & the length of their marriage, it doesn't seem likely that they had any childen.  Or at least none that survived childhood.

The 1940 Census has been released, but hasn't been fully indexed yet.  It's available for free here:  http://1940census.archives.gov/getting-started/  The 1930 Enumeration district is 19-591, if you want to try to find them

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 May 12 16:47 BST (UK) »
Fredrick Samuel's service record for the navy can be downloaded for a small fee (£3.50), but this contains no family information. However, if he died while still in the navy you will have advanced your knowledge a little.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7194043&queryType=1&resultcount=2

Martin

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 08:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry, been away from the laptop for a few days over the bank holiday,  Thankyou for all the sterling work everybody has done on my behalf.  I had a feeling there might not be children for Philip and Elisabeth.   I will see if I can find the address on Google.   Many thanks to all.    Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin

Offline postie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 May 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, taking a chance on you reading this!?  Philip McGiffin (born Ireland 1816-1861) is my great great great grandfather.  His son Robert, was married to Elizabeth Taylor. One of their son's was Samuel and he had a daughter called Nellie . . . who was my grandmother. I have read a notice which suggests that Philip (master of a workhouse) was in a relationship with a resident and as such had to spirit her away to England.  No evidence that this is true though. 

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 May 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hallo, who are you ?   I am still in the search for any news of McGiffin ancestors. I know as much as I can about the USA years, such a shame that Dad never knew his father was still alive up to 1955.  So what have you found out ?   I think the Workhouse was in Portadown  ?      Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin

Offline postie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 May 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon Sylvia, 

Lovely to hear from you.  I live in Betley which is South Cheshire/North Staffordshire.  I've used Ancestry to do a family tree (Willis family tree) - could you look at that?  I was adopted and the people on this tree are my birth ancestors.  Really interested to learn about Philip Sen, being based in Portadown workhouse, how did you find that out?  I wonder; does this mean we are distantly related via Robert, Philip and Samuel?  So many questions . . . .

Hope to hear from you soon, Chris

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 May 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
Have you had a Google  on Carol McGiffin and Mr Bumble.   Yes she is one of us .  I have never contacted her. Her grandmother [?] was called Nellie !   Our esteemed ancestor also had an older son...  Sargeant  McGiffin who went to Liverpool.  [?]   Have you found him.   If I knew this would be secure I would give you my email address.   I am also on Genes Reunited.

Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 May 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Have you had a Google  on Carol McGiffin and Mr Bumble.   Yes she is one of us .  I have never contacted her. Her grandmother [?] was called Nellie !   Our esteemed ancestor also had an older son...  Sargeant  McGiffin who went to Liverpool.  [?]   Have you found him.   If I knew this would be secure I would give you my email address.   I am also on Genes Reunited.

Sylvia

If you click on the name of postie1 - on the next screen click on send pm - this will take you to a personal message screen where you can send private messages or exchange e-mail addresses.

Hope this helps
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada