Author Topic: Missing daughter  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Missing daughter
« on: Sunday 06 May 12 09:14 BST (UK) »
To avoid Rootschatters going down unneccessary avenues I should say firstly that I have already researched via Rootschat, the family of Major Mountjoy Martin, a wealthy man with addresses (and mistresses) all over the country.  I am therefore only seeking a look up regarding the following on the 1841 and 1851 Windsor censuses.

The 1856 London Post Office Directory lists Lt Col F M Martyne as also having an address at Fern Cottage near Windsor, furthermore his daughter Martha Marie Louise (born c 1838) ran away to marry a Frederick Augustus Weatherley in Windsor in 1857.  I therefore wonder if the daughter was living at that address 1841 - 1851, but cared for by someone else

The cenuses show the Colonel and his wife were in London in 1841 and 1851 (separate addresses and with no children) so I wonder if the daughter (surname perhaps Martyn but it may have been a mistresses surname) was at any stage residing in Fern Cottage near Windsor?

Unfortunately I cannot say where near Windsor Fern Cottage was in 1856, but perhaps knowning that it was owned by Major Francis Mountjoy Martyn might assist.
Roy G

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing daughter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 12 12:48 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find anything on either census but did discover a company via Google based at Fern Cottage, Old Windsor which sounded promising.  However that's in St Luke's Road and looking at that road on the censuses didn't bring up anything.

So all in all not much to report but wanted to let you know I'd been looking.

Heather  :)

Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 12 12:58 BST (UK) »
She married using the name Marie Louise Martyn

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 May 12 16:22 BST (UK) »
Where was she born?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 12 17:00 BST (UK) »
Her birthplace is a very interesting question.  According to her rather messy divorce (Pretoria SA 1878 followed by marriage to her lover in 1880) she was 42 years old and from Brighton.  But to my knowledge, her father the Major never had a Brighton posting, in fact although a Major, I have yet to find him actively involved in any military conflict for he was too busy leading the life of a wealthy playboy.  (e.g. His yacht contested the Americas Cup)  The Major soon separated from his wife but both still resided in properties he owned in Marylebone and Mayfair. 

1841   HO107/676/8/34    Harley Place, Cavendish Square, Marylebone
Capt. Martin, 30. Ind, born out of county
Mrs Martin, 23, born out of county         (NO children, No servants)

1851 HO107 1476  17 Charles Street, St Georges, Hanover Square
F M Martyn, Head, Mar, 41, Major, East Indies, British Subject
and servants

1851 HO107 1476  132 Mount Street, St Georges Hanover Square
Amelia Martin, head, M, 32, Independent, born Beachley, Gloucestershire
and servants

As his he and his wife were listed together in 1841 (without 3 year old Marie) it is my opinion that Marie was more likely to have been a daughter of one of his numerous mistresses, and I wish to explore the possibility that he may have shunted daughter and mother out of sight to Fern Cottage that he owned near Windsor.  Marie's marriage was also in Windsor, so I have been considering whether she spent her childhood in Fern Cottage then owned by her father.

Certificates.
I am actually researching the life story of one of the other mistresses so am reluctant to purchase a copy of her m cert for she is on the fringes of my investigation.  And her birth cert, if one ever existed, or a baptism, does not seem to be under the major's surname.  That's the major problem.

Furthermore, the daughter certainly did not seem to possess the manners of the aristocracy, for one primary source describes her as a:
“flashy little woman, who behaved unconventionally.  She rode like a man, carried a revolver and beat the natives with her riding crop. Not a lady by any means!!!
Roy G

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 May 12 20:00 BST (UK) »
The National Probate Calendar listing for the will of Frederick Augustus Weatherley describes him as being, "late of Brighton in the County of Sussex" (although as I expect you know, he died in the Zulu War in 1879, together with his son).   
So perhaps it was just that Martha Marie Louise lived with her husband in Brighton before they divorced, rather than that she was born there.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 May 12 21:24 BST (UK) »
I acknowledge she lived in 16 Lewes Crescent Brighton in the early to mid 1870s, but thereafter (divorce & second marriage) she was in Pretoria, South Africa.  I'm beginning to think that she will be one that may prove impossible to find on the early UK censuses. 

1856 Post Office Directory
Martyne Lt Col. F.M 17 Charles Street, Berkeley Square & Fern Cot. Nr Windsor
Clutching at straws (and using Google Maps) I wonder if Fern Cottage could now be known as FERNHILL Cottages, opposite the entrance to Windsor Great Park.  Who owned these and lived there 1841 & 1851, for properties of that nature in that location were well within Francis Mountjoy Martyn's price bracket?    Roy G

Offline MarkD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 May 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi ...

Maria and Fredericks daughter, Georgiana Lousia Weatherly was left with her grandmother Maria Georgiana Elliot when she was less than a month old, when her parents went to India.  They subsequently came back to the UK and lived in Brighton and then went to South Africa where they divorced and Fredecrick was then killed at Hlobane.  I can fill in most of the gaps if you want ... how do you want the info.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 May 12 05:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Mark, but as its really Maria Weatherley nee Martyn's youth I really want to find out about, is there any indication whether the grandmother, Maria Georgiana Eliot, was from the Weatherley or the Martyn line?   

Unfortunately my interest does not extend to the origins of the Weatherleys, but if the grandmother was from the Martyn side of the family, I think you may have provided an important answer to one question by giving me Marie Louise Martyn's mother's name.  One step on from there would be to find Georgiana Eliot's maiden name, where she was in 1841 & 1851 and if Marie Louise Martyn spent her childhood with her.  With that info I may be able to find the official record of Maria's birth and the name she was registered under.  We can then conduct further communications off list by exchanging e-mail addresses through Rootschat's Personal Message facility 

Roy G