Author Topic: A470/ Bron Rhedyn/ Ffrith Cottage/ Castle  (Read 2650 times)

Offline rach87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
A470/ Bron Rhedyn/ Ffrith Cottage/ Castle
« on: Sunday 06 May 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
Good evening all!  :)

Wondering if anyone can help! I am trying to locate the estate that my ancestors worked for during the late 19th to early 20th century. My Nain (grandmother) Lilian Nora Williams, was born in No1 Bron Rhedyn in 1909 - located on the A470 Betws-Y-Coed stretch. As she was born illegitimate she was raised by her Grandparents Thomas and Catherine in this property, as opposed to with her mother (also called Catherine) whom re-married.

As Bron Rhedyn (also known as Ffrith Cottage/ Castle) is shown as the family home for a few decades in the Census', it is possible that this property belonged to an estate such as Maenan or Gwydir. All the family had job titles such as Farm Bailiff (Thomas), lead miners/ coach men (Thomas' sons), kitchen gardner (lodger) and domestic servants (Thomas' daughters).

The main reason I am trying to trace the owners of this land/ property/ area is to work out where Lilan's Mother - Catherine worked. On Lilian's birth certificate Catherine's occupation is written as 'former domestic servant', former crossed out, and soon after Lilians birth, Thomas' occupation is somewhat demoted. I would like to eliminate any possibility that Lilian's father was connected to a nearby estate, although I am aware from other branches of my family this is a difficult task.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, calling all expert - historical geographers  ;D

Many Thanks

Rachel Williams
Williams, Anglesey, Colwyn Bay, Ruthin, Henllan, Capel Garmon

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A470/ Bron Rhedyn/ Ffrith Cottage/ Castle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 12 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hoping this is relevant-The National Library of Wales(www.llgc.org.uk) has an archive entry for "a plan for a wash house at Bron Rhedyn 1900-Mrs Wynn-Finch,Voelas Estate Office."I'm not sure you can see anything more than the title,but if you search using "Bron Rhedyn" it is the first item to appear.

Regards
Roger

Offline rach87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 12 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your time Roger!  :)

Yes this does seem relevant, my family have mentioned in the past that our ancestors - around this time, once worked for the Wynne-Finch's so this does make sense. I would never have thought due to distance that this property could be linked with the Voelas estate (Pentre-Voelas). My family lived in the property before, during an after 1900, I wonder if this 'wash house' was designed for them.

Many Thanks

Rachel Williams
Williams, Anglesey, Colwyn Bay, Ruthin, Henllan, Capel Garmon

Offline GlenCalvert

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,

I am not sure if I will be lucky and find you still using this site.  I have recently started doing my family tree again, after many years and thought I would try and find out about my Taid, John Thomas Williams.  My mother's father.  Having been born and bred in Bron Rhedyn, I could never understand where Ffrith Cottage was and went to complete research on it.  This is when I came across your message, however many years old.

I can confirm that my family lived there during the times that you state in your message. 

I am the great, great grand-daughter of Thomas Williams and Catherine.  Sadly my Taid, John Thomas died at an early age, my mother was only 16 when she lost her Dad, but I believe my Great Nain and Taid might have been alive, or at least my Great Nain.  I was born and lived in 3 Bron Rhedyn and moved up the road to Talfryn when I was about 2 - 3 with my mother and father and 2 brothers and 2 sisters.

During my initial research a number of years ago, I kept coming up against brick walls, with regards to my Taid and his family and decided to try and pursue, my Nain's family from Leicester.  My mother didn't seem to remember much about her father's family and sadly passed away last year. 

If you are still on the system, it would be lovely to know and understand a lot more of my Taid's family as my Nain never got over losing him and talked about him often. 

I look forward to hearing from you please and even more so, should you have any photographs.  Since my mother has died, photographs seem to have gone missing and I do not have any young photos of my Nain.

Many many thanks

Glenda Robinson (nee Pritchard)