Author Topic: Bunday's of Hampshire / Wiltshire  (Read 3895 times)

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bunday's of Hampshire / Wiltshire
« on: Sunday 06 May 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm searching into the family history of the Bundy line of my family.

To cut a long story short, Joseph James BUNDAY born 1875 is my x2 Great Grandfather (paternal) The story passed down through the family is that his wife, Mary Curtis, didn't like Bunday so dropped the 'a' making it Bundy. How true this is, i've no idea.

Using the census records, i've worked out that Joseph James was the son of Charles Bunday and Sarah Stagg. Using findmypast i've found that Charles Bunday was born in Woodgreen, Hampshire in 1843.  His surname is listed as 'Bundee' on the marriage index. I've ordered this certificate to pin down his date of birth and parents.

I think that my Bundy line will tie in with the Bunday / Bundy line from Downton, Wiltshire and I 'think' that Charles's parents were Henry and Ann. If this is the case, there are a number of Tree's already on Ancestry which seem to go back to about 1400 !

I'm looking to see if there is anybody on here who also is interested in the Bundy / Bunday line hailing from Downton and finding sources to accurately trace my lineage.

Thanks,

Rich

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bunday's of Hampshire / Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 May 12 17:41 BST (UK) »
Having ordered Joseph James Bunday's birth certificate it gives his parents as Charles Bunday and Sarah, former name Stagg.

The marriage certificate gives Charles Bundee and Sarah Stagg.

Charles's fathers name on the marriage certificate is William, and not Henry as I originally thought.

Where do I go from here?!

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 15 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I cant help with your query but I wanted to add that some of the Bundy name in Wiltshire were Catholic recusants ( meaning they stayed true to their Catholic faith under tremendous pressure) the OPC has some great pages to explore

I am searching for a link to David Bundy who married Mary Butler in Idmiston Wiltshire (1738) and had a daughter Mary
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline ian macleod martin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 08:22 GMT (UK) »
hello  I  have  a few  Bundy's  marrying  in  to  the cull  and  Osman  family's   in  fawley  Hampshire  .  I  haven't  gone   very  far  down  that  route   because  its   a side  line  of  the  family's  I`m  working  on 

Offline gill10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi. Would you know if any of the Bundys you mentioned moved to the Rhondda valley in Wales? My husband has hardly no info on his family. His grandad was James Bundy and had a brother Charles. There were a few other brothers. We have no info on James parents but think they may have moved to Wales from England.
Thanks
Gill Bundy