Author Topic: The Lowres family in Drogheda  (Read 3216 times)

Offline stonemouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Lowres family in Drogheda
« on: Monday 07 May 12 07:59 BST (UK) »
I'd very much like to hear from anyone with information regarding the Lowres family who I know at one time were living in Drogheda.

My maternal great grandfather, Joseph Lowres, came to live in England where he married, in Birkenhead, in 1866 and appeared in the 1871 and subsequent UK censuses, still in Birkenhead where he remained until his death in 1920. The 1911 census was the first to reveal that he was born in Drogheda, Co Louth. Earlier censuses simply said "Ireland".

Joseph's marriage certificate (his 2nd marriage) revealed that his father was William Lowres, occupation "turnkey".

I was fortunate enough to discover a website with details of an inspection carried out at Drogheda Gaol on 7 June 1851 and this confirms that at the time of the inspection there was a turnkey named William Lowres. :)

Other than knowing that Joseph was born in Drogheda circa 1844 and that his father, William, was still working in the town's gaol in 1851 I know nothing else regarding my Irish ancestry  :(  so I'm hungry for information! (incidentally, I was born in Birkenhead, my mother being Charlotte Lowres, grandaughter of Joseph).

I'd particularly like to discover Joseph's precise date of birth, his mother's name and any information regarding his father, William and his wife ... dates of birth, marriage, death, their parents names ... anything! ;D As far as I know Joseph's parents remained in Ireland when he came to England.

Thanks for reading this and I'm sorry to write at such length. I'd love to hear from anyone, about anything! Kind Regards, Mike

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: The Lowres family in Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 12 09:30 BST (UK) »
To search for Josephs baptism you need to know the denomination of your Lowres family, and also probably also which part of the town they lived at the time to establish if the relevant parish has records available for the dates you require. Drogheda was dived between counties Meath and Louth, with most section south of the River Boyne in Co. Meath.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

I dont have access to the historic OSI maps at the moment (they sometimes go offline on long weekends for maintenance), but it seem that the county Goal was on Scarlett Street in the centre of town - so north of the Boyne.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline stonemouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info, Shane, it's a great help. Mike

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:22 BST (UK) »
Collon is not very far from Drogheda and there are a few interesting Lowres in the Church of Ireland Baptisms:

Richard (baptised 21/10/1805) , William (26/07/1807), Matthew (08/05/1809), Mary Anne (14/04/1811) the children of Thomas and Margaret Lowres, though the mother's name is not given for the first two, which was not unusual in the registers at that time. The father's occupation is described as "My Postillion", which I would interpret as a coach driver for the vicar, though that could be wrong.

There is also a gravestone inscription in Collon: "LOWRES - This Stone was erected by Margaret Lowres in memory of her husband Thomas Lowres who departed this life October the 8th 1814 aged 34 years. Also two of her infant children" This would seem to indicate that the mother was pregnant when the father died.

There are Lowres in the Church of Ireland registers in Drogheda (see http://creggan.armagh.anglican.org/droghedabaptisms.html) but I don't have access to them.

I just the above William might be of interest.

Regards,

Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer

Offline stonemouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:26 BST (UK) »