Author Topic: Chappell / Perry families of Stogumber  (Read 7007 times)

Offline Loulou330

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chappell / Perry families of Stogumber
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 January 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi lanc1963

Many thanks for your reply, I look forward to hearing from you.  My enquiry is for a friend so I will pass on your message tomorrow.

The lady we seek name was Lydia Perry and she was the daughter of Maria.  Lydia lived and worked for many year for a Vicar and it a picture of her my friend would like more than anything.  I hope this little bit of info rings some bells with you.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Loulou
Densham, Dillon, Downham, Star, Vernon, Labbett, Grubb, Hobbs, Jeal, Noakes, Jolly, Busby, Bowskill, Tagg, Heasman, Sutcliffe, Gill, Lee, Bradley, Aked, Allsop, Harrison, Mekin, Hopkins, Hogston, Blackmore, Parker, Passmore, Steer, Linggard, Connolly, Wallace, Reed, Piper, Medhurst, Doggett, Garton, Evans, Norvill

Offline Ianc1963

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 January 14 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Loulou, I won't have a picture of Lydia, but I have got a family photo of John, Mary Ann and the 12 children, obviously including Maria.

I'll see what other info I have on Maria, in case it throws up any leads on Lydia.

Offline Loulou330

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 January 14 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Lovely thank you.

loulou
Densham, Dillon, Downham, Star, Vernon, Labbett, Grubb, Hobbs, Jeal, Noakes, Jolly, Busby, Bowskill, Tagg, Heasman, Sutcliffe, Gill, Lee, Bradley, Aked, Allsop, Harrison, Mekin, Hopkins, Hogston, Blackmore, Parker, Passmore, Steer, Linggard, Connolly, Wallace, Reed, Piper, Medhurst, Doggett, Garton, Evans, Norvill

Offline Ianc1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 January 14 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I've got some info on Maria.

Maria died on 20th June 1905 and was buried at Avon View Cemetery, Bristol in a family grave with her mother and father. Address with Walter Perry is Unity Buildings, Trowbridge, Wiltshire.

I've got nothing on any children of Maria and Walter. I've got the "In Loving memory" card. There's mention of her being daughter to John and Mary Ann and beloved wife of Walter Perry, but no mention of her being "mother".

Offline Loulou330

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 January 14 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your information I will pass it on to my friend.  I don't know whether she would be interested but if she is, would you have an electronic copy to pass on if she would like to see the "In Loving Memory" card?

It is a very sad and heartbreaking situation for my friend's father who would just like see a picture of his mother Lydia, daughter of Maria and Walter, but perhaps there are no surviving pictures of her.  We do know that she was very involved in Church work at Eton but that's as far as the information goes.  Carol has been in touch with a local researcher but nothing more was discovered really

Thank you very again on behalf of my friend Carol for your information.

Loulou330

Offline Ianc1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 January 14 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I am happy to scan the "In Loving Memory" card.

With regard to the family grave, Avon View Cemetery is only a couple of miles away from me. Maria's father John Chappell (passed away 4/9/1903), her mother Mary Ann Chappell (passed away 12/2/1926) and her sister Lydia Chappell (passed away 16/1/1925), are all interred in the family grave.

I am now wondering if the family grave is still there and intend to find out.

Out of curiosity, I also found the 1911 census for Walter Perry. It took some finding because Lydia's name was spelt as Liddia. It seems that Walter had left Bristol and returned to Stogursey, Somerset with Lydia and lived with his younger brother Frederick at the postal address The Cross, Stogursey.

Offline Loulou330

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 January 14 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I'll pass on your info to Carol.

I'll keep in touch

Regards

Loulou330

Offline Pax158

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 August 15 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Ianc1963
I am also a direct descendant of John and Mary Ann Chappell. My great grandfather was Charles Chappell.
I have a photograph of the family in a formal setting. Is this the same as yours? There are 11 children on mine. I'd love to know why this photo was taken.
I'm very interested to read that one of the sons wrote a memoir of Vellow and that their house is still standing. Could you tell me more about this? The house Charles lived in when married (in nearby Stogumber) is no longer there.

Offline Ianc1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 August 15 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Ianc1963
I am also a direct descendant of John and Mary Ann Chappell. My great grandfather was Charles Chappell.
I have a photograph of the family in a formal setting. Is this the same as yours? There are 11 children on mine. I'd love to know why this photo was taken.
I'm very interested to read that one of the sons wrote a memoir of Vellow and that their house is still standing. Could you tell me more about this? The house Charles lived in when married (in nearby Stogumber) is no longer there.
Hi, that sounds like it could be the same family photo I have. I don't know where it was taken or why
but I'm sure I was once told they weren't all together in the same place too often. Maybe it was before they all left Vellow, Stogumber?

Anyway, it's good to hear from a distant relative!

I was last in Vellow 8 or 9 years back. I also visited as a child in the early 1970's. There is a pottery work shop there and the same guy was still there that my mother and father spoke to in the 70's. His premises was originally the blacksmiths years back and he knew a lot of history. Our families property was the mill house, where there was a sawing pit and workshop for the wheelright occupation of John Chappell. They guy in the pottery identified the house for me. It was badly run down and there were trees and overgrown bushes practically hiding the property. Looking at Google satellite view now, it seems it has been bought and restored.

I'm hoping this link works Dropped pin
near Stogumber, Somerset TA4
http://goo.gl/maps/rG04z

So I'm guessing here. If Charles is your great grandfather, is your grandmother Mabel? I've got a 1911 census which shows Charles, Caroline, Mabel and Violet living at 61 Vicarage Road, Whitehall, Bristol. That's only a couple of miles from me, in fact I drove passed that road yesterday.

It looks like quite a few of the family came to Bristol and all lived quite close in the Whitehall and Redfield areas.

Btw, I'm Ian Chappell. My dad, Clifford Chappell is the son of John Chappell (born 1875) who is Charles brother. No idea what that makes us!! It seems there was a long line of John's in the paternal line.

I've got a fair bit on the family. It was 12 children, one died at birth. I understand Charles had a twin sister Lydea.

It was the youngest, Ernest, who wrote the memoirs. My mother typed them up in the 70's. Ernest was the only one I met. My dad's sister Eileen, who only passed away a few years ago, gave me loads of info on all the brothers and sisters, ie her aunts and uncles, she had an incredible retention of names, dates and places. Fortunately I spent an afternoon with her writing it all down.

Sounds like we need to share info and even get in touch?