Author Topic: Cranmer and Hedley families, Northumberland  (Read 3115 times)

Offline scorpio2outof6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cranmer and Hedley families, Northumberland
« on: Monday 07 May 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
There are various spellings of the name.  Several family members lived in Newcastle in the 18th century area as well as in Carlisle in Cumberland.  The particular individual I am looking for is Hedley Cranmer, whose father was surnamed Cranmer, and his mother surnamed Hedley.  The Hedleys were located around the Hexham area, and I am trying to work out the various strands.  Can anyone assist, please.  The family in the latter 18th and early 19th centuries were employed in textiles, mainly linen and calico printing - in Lancashire, Antrim and Perthshire.  Does anyone know if this is the same family who lived in Carlisle and were employed as Calico printers? 

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Cranmer and Hedley families, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
All Saints Newcastle Upon Tyne,

Hedley Cranmer 1764

I have looked at the transcript but they are to faded for me to find his baptism,sorry
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 23:45 BST (UK) »
All Saints baptisms are on freereg from 1762 but nothing is showing up for a Hedley Cranmer (soundex on)

Where did you find the information?

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 23:58 BST (UK) »
I found him in the PRs - though not easy to read.

9th December 1764, Hedley Cranmer son of John, Fillersman or Fittersman

Christine

Offline scorpio2outof6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help, Christine.  I found the list of Cranmers and various spellings including Crenmor on the IGI FamilySearch website.  There is a marriage of a John Crenmor to Mary Hedley on 21 December 1759 in the parish of All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne (Batch No. M 004295 (1751-1791) Source Collection No.1068939 - film.  John was born on 14 February 1739 and christened on 25 February 1739 at Groat Market Meeting (NC - ?Non-Conformist), Newcastle upon Tyne.  Was this a Quaker meeting house?  The source for this was Batch No. P 004241 (1726-1836) Souce call No. 0087983, Film.  Printout Call No.6905667.  John's father however is named as William Cranmer.    The Carlisle branch appear to be related in some way to the Newcastle Cranmers, with a Hedley Cranmer, son of a William Cranmer and Jane Leithen (not the same William as mentioned previously as the gap in years is too large) and who was baptised 4 June 1789 in the parish of St. Cuthbert, Carlisle, Cumberland.

Re. the Hedley you mention, is it the surname or the occupation of his father, which is mentioned?

Still trying to unravel a possible connection betgween the Northumberland and Cumberland branches and follow the trail back from 'my' Cranmers, who appear in Antrim, Ireland working in the calico printing industry in Carnmoney, Antrim, after having migrated from England (probably Northumberland or Cumberland) as they were related to a family of calico printers, and there were calico printers in the Carlisle branch.  They then went to Scotland (Perthshire, Glasgow and an area of Dunbartonshire close to Glasgow where they worked in calico printing and then linen bleaching.  At various times several family members went to live and work in the Manchester area and returned to Perthshire.  In a later generation, several daughters married and with their spouses went to work in the Lancashire/Derbyshire area.

It seems possible, that the name of Hedley Cranmer, which occurs subsequently in several generations and branches of the family, originated with the marriage of John Crenmor (Cranmer) to Mary Hedley.  What do you think?  I've looked back through several generations of Hedley family members, but not knowing Northumberland particularly well, have no idea how close some of the places are to either Newcastle or Hexham. 

I've searched the internet for info. about 18th century industries in Northumberland, trying to see if there was any history of calico printing there.  No luck, so far.  I expect it may mostly have been a cottage industry and handloom weaving would still have been ostly a domestic process when the industrial revolution was in its infancy.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
if you take the train  from Carlisle to Newcastle you will pass through Hexham,a very pretty route ,and of course many other towns and villages ,along the way,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 12 23:42 BST (UK) »
Not sure I can be a lot of help in your quest but here goes with some…

The earliest Trade Directory for Northumberland I can find online is 1801.  Calico doesn’t get a mention though there are a few linen weavers.  The name Cranmer doesn’t appear either though this just means that they weren’t in business for themselves.

The baptism record I found says that Hedley’s father was John Cranmer and John’s occupation was Fillersman.  I can’t find a reference to this as an occupation but a Filler is someone who filled bobbins in mills.  So presumably his man would be his assistant - unless anyone knows different?  It could also have said Fittersman as they did not always put a line across the letter t in those days.

The non-conformist church in Groat Market seems to have been Presbyterian according to genuki.

The best way to learn about what is where in Northumberland is to go this link

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/

Finally and rather unfortunately for you, the name Hedley is very common in these parts - you will need to be quite careful in selecting who is connected and who is not.

Hope this is of some use.

Christine

Offline scorpio2outof6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 May 12 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information about local industries, Christine.  That's very useful.   I'll also follow up on the link you provided.  I noticed that Hedley was a common name locally and that does indeed require great care to unpick which one is which.  Thanks also to Radcliffe for the information provided. I am familiar with both Newcastle and Carlisle, having visited both often and am familiar with the road between and various oints on it such as Hexham (which I've also previously visited) and Haltwhistle, but not the more rural parts of the County.  I have a friend and former work colleague who is Northumbrian and who now lives in Alnwick.  I've been promising to visit for some time, so must actually get round to doing so.
The help and advice I've been given will  certainly be of benefit to my search for Cranmer kin.  I've unearthed a multiplicity of spellings of forenames as well as surnames - all definitely from the same family, many errors due to phonetic spelling by the person writing down the records and to errors in transcription where writing has been difficult to read.  Thanks again, everyone..

guest259648

Re: Cranmer and Hedley families, Northumberland, Antrim/Carnmoney
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping this post is still active... would love to be in touch with 'Scorpio2outof6' because your CRANMER family details match my own - I've been trying to confirm a link with Carnmoney, Antrim for a long time, and maybe you can help. I descend from Mrs Mary CRANMER born c. 1797, see 1841 Scottish census, Gorbals, she has 7 children with her including sons John, Hedley (d.1891, Manchester), William, Thomas. Mary's daughter Margaret CRANMER (b.1838) married Thomas WALKER and they lived in Manchester. Their first son was Thomas Cranmer WALKER born 1860, and my great-grandfather was a younger son John WALKER born 1870, Manchester, moved to Birmingham for the railways.Thank you for showing me the interesting link to the CRANMERS in Newcastle-on-Tyne. Please can you help me make concrete this Irish/Carnmoney connection?