Author Topic: John J. Junio, Syracuse, NY  (Read 2215 times)

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John J. Junio, Syracuse, NY
« on: Monday 07 May 12 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone help me prove that John Joseph Junio, a cigar manufacturer and labor activist, is a child of my 3x gt uncle, John Joseph Junio (1816 - abt 1865) and his wife Catherine Gordon who married Halifax, Nova Scotia 4/2/1845. They seem to have had a son John Joseph Junio, who married Emilie Meyer in Manhattan 15/9/1897.

John J. Junio, the labor activist, seems to have been born Boston, Mass in 1842 or March 1845 & died Oswego, NY 16/9/1904.
I think he married 1st., Ella L. (surname unknown) in Syracuse 1860, separated 1884, and had 3 children, 2 died young & John G. born NY 1862 died 1880-84.
John J. snr. then seems to have tried to bigamously marry Ida M. Brewer, née Kinney at Syrace, Wednesday 12/11/1884 She was born Philadelphia March 1862, and spent her earlier life in Winsted, Conn. They had a dau Marion E. Junio b NY Jan 1886.

I'm not sure whether he is also the same person who marr Emilie Meyer in 1897??

My 2x gt grandmother Mary Jean Junio (or De Junio) was born Halifax abt 1821 where the Junio family seemed to come from initially. 2 brothers Joseph & Maximilian, both cigar makers moved to the Boston, Cambridge, Charlestown areas of Mass. abt mid 1840s. There parents were Joseph Junio, joiner/mechanic & Ann dau of Charles & Jeanne Len(n)ox of Halifax.

Any more information to try and prove the above connection or any other connection would be gratefully received.

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John J. Junio, Syracuse, NY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 14:17 BST (UK) »
The younger John's obituary says that he was a descendant of the famous Junot family of France, one of them being a general under Bonaparte and, at the downfall of the French emperor, a part of the family came to the US.  It mentions him dropping out of Harvard to enlist for the Civil War.  It also said his daughter was believed to his only survivor in the US.  Another obituary says he was born of French & Irish parentage and says he performed Shakespearean roles for 4 years.

Whether all of that is real or fiction, I don't know. 

There is a possible death for the elder John Junio here: 
http://www.onlib.org/dbtw-wpd/Textbase/necrology.html

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq

Many thanks for your post and for the link to John J. Junio snrs death which links in with his Civil War entry on ancestry. It says he had died during 1865.
The French/Irish bit also fits in well with what I already know. If he was the son of John Joseph Junio & Catherine Gordon, & their marr. cert in 1845 says Catherine was a dau of Michael Gordon of Co. Donegal, Ireland. John J. senior was the grandson of Louis Junilion & Marie Dubois from Paris, France. Looks like I might be on the right track!
Do you know where I could get John Joseph junior's birth and death records. He seems to have been born in Boston, Massachusetts 1842-1845 and would his death certificate in Oswego, NY give details of his parents?
Thanks again.

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 14:16 BST (UK) »
I'm not positive, but I think the death certificate would have his parents listed, assuming the informant knew the information.

There is an index to Massachusetts births from 1841-1910 here:  http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcsrch/vitalrecordssearchcontents.html  I didn't see any Junios, but maybe you could try playing around with different spellings.

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 May 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Shelly. I'll give it a go. If I can at least find out who his parents are that then I can at least slot him into my tree. He seems to have been quite a character with his bigamist marriage, etc.

Craig

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 12 16:05 BST (UK) »
You may already be aware of this, but there are several hundred newspaper mentions of John J. Junio at http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks very much Linda.
It took me a whole night to read through the best of them. Fascinating reading. Thanks for the link.

Regards,

Craig

Offline georgefenning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking closely at  this family. I have much information to share. Can anyone tell me how to contact Craig Ellery to discuss further?
Macbeath,(Stirling)  Middlemass, (Edinburgh) Durie, (Aboyne) McMurdo,(Dumfries)  Fenning. (Edinburgh) Towar, (Stirling) Junio (Halifax, Boston, New York)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hopefully, if he has the e-mail notifications on, he will see that you posted in his thread.