Author Topic: David Mitchell Tomlinson  (Read 11716 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Mitchell Tomlinson
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 21:48 BST (UK) »
;)  Just to solve the mystery of Rhoda Faulding TOMLINSON  ...
yes, she was the eldest d/o Thomas TOMLINSON of Dunedin, (and therefore a sister to David Mitchell TOMLINSON).
Marriage notice at >
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz
"Otago Witness" - 6 May 1897
... her husband, Thomas TOMLINSON, was the youngest s/o the late Thomas TOMLINSON of Sancroft Grange, Northamptonshire, ENG.  ]

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 22:22 BST (UK) »

I found an entry about David's will and it indicates that the probate was carried out by Thomas Sherwood Tomlinson, Accountant, after the War.

Alistair

Hi again Alistair

David certainly came from a family of high achievers.  :)
His siblings Annie Pourie (b. 1880) and Harold Bruce (b. 1885) were also graduates of Otago University.

Brother, Thomas Sherwood, went on to become a Bank Manager.   He is buried with his parents at the Southern Cemetery in Dunedin.

http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/facilities/cemeteries/cemeteries_search

If you look at the link for the burial of Annie Pourie TOMLINSON, it notes that she died in Christchurch - her last address having been "140 Fendleton* [sic] Road, Christchurch".
I would think that as husband Thomas had predeceased her (1913), she made the move to Christchurch to live with (or be near to) her eldest daughter, Rhoda Faulding TOMLINSON ?

[*  Mmm - a spelling error with "Fendalton" ... and maybe street number "140" is incorrect too ?   
"Years in NZ" given for Annie ... "10" ... so again this is an error.   
Annie and her FISHER family were probably the arrivees per the "Sir Edward Paget" to Otago, 15 August, 1856 ?
"FISHER - William, wife, a son and 3 daughters" ... unfortunately though, the passenger list gives no further identifying information as to ages or native place. ]

~  Lu

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 23:07 BST (UK) »
Lu

That all sounds just right. I have been looking at emigres all over the World, and there is no doubt the Scots and their descendants were enterprising.

Alistair

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I need a little help along the way !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 May 12 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu,

Nice to see the 'Rhoda mystery' solved.

Thanks for that  ;D

John B
Barraclough, Barron, Hunter, Marsden, Pawson, Sowden, Street, Vowless,

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 October 12 03:07 BST (UK) »
My speciality is the Powrie/pourie surname. I'm finishing a book, and plan to be in NZ in January next year, to visit Christchurch and the three branches who emmigrated.

what do you have on Ann? I think it is Ann born 15 Jun 1856, Kaiapoi Island, (later known as Clarkville),Cantebury, New Zealand. I know she died in Zangiora, New Zealand.

Her family (my own) is indeed Scottish, but we had a member of the Royal artillery, who served in South Africa who immigrated there in 1820, but some of their children, including Robert Powrie and Elizabeth Frances Wilson, left for NZ (I have the ship),some got off in Australia, others in NZ.

Robert became a builder in Christchurch, and was part of the militia. they had 18  children, the most prolific of all  my 18 branches.

I'm a professional with 30+ years experience, and i love nothing more than helping others. I hope to add your Thomlinson soldier, as i love nothing more than recognizing our heroes. I've added all o mine to Scots at war. If you can't figure it out before I get too NZ,I'll add him to my lit of ones to research.

Mary Powrie Schacht
(*)
Portland,Oregon

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 October 12 03:22 BST (UK) »
I was wrong about Ann Powrie born to Robert Powrie and Elizabeth Frances Wilson being the mother of David Tomlinson. It was actually Ann Powrie Fisher, formerly of Edinburgh.

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 October 12 04:22 BST (UK) »
Powrie is an old Gaelic placename meaning "pasturage". I've found 31 variants, Purrie, Pourie is the most common from 1800-1900. I saw the other children's birth,but not the place of birth. Ancestry.com and Familysearch.org have no results. I'll check findmypast.co.uk, but it may have to wait until I can view the records  for myself, when I get down myself. I have a Powrie newsletter which goes to 45 countries. I will write my NZ and Australian members, but there are only 3 Ann Powries born in New Zealand.  the children spread counts out the Ann born in 1856, as her children with Ernest Joblin happen in the same timeframe, so I have two more to go.

Any help with any marriage between a Tomlinson and Pourie/Powrie would sure help. I can easily eliminate folks in my database of 25,000 Powries. No one else has done this surname as a one-name study. There were two castles, south Powrie and north Pourie, 2 miles north of Dundee, but they were named for the place, and were never owned by our family. It's still fun to have your name on Scottish castles!

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 November 12 00:28 GMT (UK) »
got some help via the New Zealand rootsweb lists.

William and Margaret P FISHER are buried in the Southern Cemetery in Dunedin. Of William it says he is an Engineer from Scotland, and at the time of his death on 28 Feb 1874 he had been in NZ for 17 years. Margaret Powrie Fisher died 18 Nov 1897, was from Forfar, Scotland, and had been in NZ 41 years. So the couple arrived about 1856, along with their children. Another child was William, who died aged 12 and is buried with his parents.

http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/facilities/cemeteries/cemeteries_search?recordid=96428&type=Burial

So I definitely think that Annie Powrie/Pourie TOMLINSON was born Ann Powrie FISHER in 1845 and married Thomas TOMLINSON in 1872.

I can now go back to the Scottish records and see if I can find the family, and how Powrie entered the family name.

We are making our travel plans to go to NZ in Jan.

Mary

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 November 12 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Powrie  (spelled Pourie) m 6 Jul 1842, in St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland to William Fisher. they had 6 children Ann Pourie Fisher, 1 Jun 1845, Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. Catherine Fisher, David 1854, Jane 1843, Margaret 1852, William ch. 1849.

They were not from Forfar or Forfarshire (now Angus) but Edinburgh. Dunedin was the early name, ironic as they are buried in it's name sake, in New Zealand.

Hope this info helps.

Mary Powrie Schacht
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.