Author Topic: David Mitchell Tomlinson  (Read 11717 times)

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Mitchell Tomlinson
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 November 12 01:23 GMT (UK) »
St. Cuthbert's Edinburgh, Midlothian  685/2/45 Frame 2026  (GROS ref.) I downloaded the original records, if anyone wants copies.

The LDS did one incomplete filming of the GROS, which houses only Presbyterian records, and the LDS were denied access to the other faiths. Since that one filming numerous records have turned up. I use both resources but with 30+ years experience I've learned to use the  Scottish sources, though I have volunteered at my local center, and occasionally teach classes in Scotland and Canada.

Mary
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 November 12 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Mary

Thanks for the additional information.

Alistair

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 November 12 03:31 GMT (UK) »
banns read:4th July 1842

William Fisher Engine keeper lately residing in No 2 Dalry lane and margaret powrie residing in No. 3 wallace place, both in this parish daughter of the late David Powrie, joiner in Newtyle,were there of pronounced three several times duly,and regularly proclaimed in the parish of St.Cuthbert's and no objections offered was married at Newtyle the 6th day of July current by the rev. john,moore, minister of the parish of Newtyle. I have that family back to 1750, which is as far as you can go without going to Scotland for guild records, (if applicable, men were indentured 16 years for each level) doctor records, land rentals, land evaluation (done every 10 years. 28 Jul 1817, Newtyle was one possible christening to a David in Newtyle.

St Cutberts in a beautiful church, just below Edinburgh Castle. The reason it's been destroyed and rebuilt several times. It is not square..so the devil has no corner to hide in, and a life size marble carving of the last supper is behind the alter. A housekeeper let me come in to pray during cleaning, so I have lovely pics and memories. I was out strolling the graveyard, and out of concern for my safety, they approached and invited me inside. It is not safe except in daylight, as they are popular places for drug users. I've been to Newtyle several times.

David Pourie and Jean Mason had 7 children.
It's very lucky that an OPR period bann has a father, place and occupation listed.

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 November 12 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Powrie ch. 28 Jul 1817, Newtyle to David Powrie (spelled Pourie back then) master joiner and Jean Mason. Margaret Powrie married William Fisher.

06/07/1842 FISHER WILLIAM MARGARET POWRIE/FR2026 (FR2026) M ST CUTHBERT'S EDINBURGH CITY CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/02 0450 0126
 these are banns but they married in Newtyle, then Forfarshire, now in Angus. It was renamed.

I have 7 children for David Pourie and Jean Mason. I confirmed his occpation on his daughter Angnes pourie Mitchell's death record in 1890. Agnes married the village surgeon James Mitchell. (6 children). their monument inscription, grave 63 Newtyle reads:

Jas mitchell surgeon newtyle 6.4.1842 43, w agnes pourie 25.1.1890, da agnes 6.5.1840 10, s david d.port elizabeth s.africa 29.1.1873 30. I have a cousin Peter powrie who lives in Port Elizabeth, if you want more info on him.

Margaret's sister
Ann (1865-1883) married James Robertson
brother Rev.john Pourie (i have a photo) wasa popular minister in Calcutta, India. He's buried at Rookwood Cemetery, a suburb of Sydney, Australia.

brother James Pourie married Elizabeth Cruickshank. She died in London, so the family is everywhere! I have 1,198 in this line with the Tomlinsons. Can you give me the marriages for David's 4 siblings?

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 November 12 04:23 GMT (UK) »
If you search you will find a Blackwatch (royal Scot) monument on Powrie Brae. I lay a wreath there every visit, and have been to the Blackwatch museum at Balhosie Castle in Perth, Scotland. Perhaps you'd like to add him to the Scots at War Trust website? I've posted all my fallen Purrie, Pourie and Powrie soldiers and sailors.

Interesting a memorial for David's regiment is on a hill in his grandparent's homeland which bears his grandmother's name. It is the Gaelic place name and there is a South Powrie castle and a North Pourie castle,both names for the place, 2 miles north of Dundee. Powrie brae is on the Firth of Tay just south of Dundee. Powries originate along the Carse of Gowrie which runs from Perth to Dundee.

ironic too david is buried in Dunedin, NZ (the ancient name of Edinburgh) where his grandparents attended church. I'll visit his stone when I visit in January, and I'll make sure the flowers I lay contain a bit o heather!  Mary

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 November 12 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Mary

Thank you.

Alistair

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 04:09 GMT (UK) »
more from the wonderful kiwis on the rootsweb.

2 people by the name of Charles Edward Tomlinson married in 1915, so it’s impossible from that information to say which is yours. Checked both deaths. One died in 1950 aged 68Y, making him born 1882. One died in 1964 aged 79Y, so born in 1885. Very little in it. The one in 1964 died in Nelson, and the one in 1950 died in Auckland. You have other names in Nelson so I suspect the second guy just shades it, but it really is a little too close to call. The first guy, who died in 1950, is very accurate with his age. We know he was born in 1882.

Checked the births and sure enough, one born in 1882 and one in 1885. 1882 is yours.

So, Charles Edward Tomlinson, reg no. 1950/30973, died 9 Dec 1950. Cremated at Waikumete Cemetery, Auckland. Probate granted in Auckland Court on 15 Dec 1950.

Discovered that Marjorie Joyce Tomlinson was cremated in Auckland, whereas Ivy Coral Tomlinson was buried in Nelson. So with some certainty I think that the marriage was:

Charles Edward Tomlinson married Marjorie Joyce Whittan, reg no. 1915/1410, on 16 Jun 1915.

Marjorie died on 23 Apr 1959 aged 73Y. Cremated at Purewa Cemetary on 25 Apr 1959. Probate granted on 22 May 1959 in Auckland Court.

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Scots have a long proud history of being warriars. They hold to duty, self and national pride!

William Fisher Tomlinson reg no. 1927/5856 married Ethel Maud Wolf on 12 Aug 1927.

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Scope and content Major David Mitchell TOMLINSON.
The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment). 
Covering dates 1914-1919
Held by The National Archives, Kew 

Former reference (Department) 57909
Legal status Public Record(s)
Language English

Found what I need at the PRO in Kew, England to find his service record. they were burned during the blitz of WWI, and filmed as burned records. (filming one page, then the next, often destroying each top page to reveil those beneath. I will ask the expert, Richard Moles, if he can find it and quote a cost. (usually around 40-80 pounds depending on what is desired). Begin date, ship transports to each theatre, verifying peronnel numbers. All Scottish regiments (except militia) after 1763 are housed at the British archives, refered to as the Public Records Office. Militia and any paybook wills (written by the soldiers) are at the National archive of scotland.

Mary