Author Topic: David Mitchell Tomlinson  (Read 11712 times)

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Mitchell Tomlinson
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 11:22 GMT (UK) »
http://www.1914-1918.net/royalscots.htm  nice booklet available

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 <http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1543&enc=1>
about David Mitchell Tomlinson
Name:   David Mitchell Tomlinson   
Death Date:   13 May 1916   
Regiment:   Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)   
Battalion:   13th Battalion   
Type of Casualty:   Died of wounds

13th battalion Formed at Edinburgh, September
1914, as part of K2. Moved to Aldershot.
September 1914 : attached to 45th
Brigade, 15th (Scottish) Division.
Went to billets in Bramshott November
1914, then Basingstoke February 1915 and on to Chisledon in March.
Landed in France July 1915.

lots of references to the unit and battalions online.

Anyone with a loved one on the CGCW can order a memorial or grave photo for around 5 pounds, all goes to their mission to maintain the graveswordwide. Do you know who has his medals and "dead man's penny"?

HOPE this helps,

Mary in Oregon (powrie hstorian)

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Mary

Thank you. For my purposes, I now know enough about this young man. The service records held at Kew were actually destroyed by a WW2 bomb in the blitz. Only about 30% remain.

Alistair

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 12:22 GMT (UK) »
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=tomlinson&GSiman=1&GScid=1996142&GRid=56166962&  I didn't understand that David fell in Pas-de-Calais, France not NZ. but I have that straight now.

I requested a photo of his grave, which you may have already. Cimetière communal de Béthune is the french name for the cemetery. I have 5 Powrie men buried in France.

there are some nice images of men in that unit, so if you don't have one of David, you can see the uniform. I collect regimental badges for each Powrie lost. Blackwatch is the most frequent/common. It makes me feel closer to "my lads" as I research. My four boys are  22-38 so I understand a mother's worry.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Mary

A photo would be good. I will pm you my email address.

Offline maryschacht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
tomlinson, david Mitchell of Dunedin, New Zealand, major in H.M. army died 13 May 1916 in France Probate Dunedin to Thomas Sherwood Tomlinson Effecrs L1469s 11d in United Kingdom Sealed London 9 May. His brother was the benificiary.

bit more on will, no paybook will that I can find. Found a couple booklets on the regiment. He recieved (his family) the victory and 1915 star medals, and the dead man's penny. I checked some places who buy medals, as a couple generations on, medals laying in a jewelry box do get sold. His will have his full name stamped on the edge, so they can be attributed to him forever.

I've found Scottish medals and dead man's pennies in Australia, thanks to observant kin, and restored them to family. If you know where they are, I will stop looking. Some families donate medals and other items to the regimental museum. Royal Scots have a beautiful museum at Balhousie castle in Perth. They can't take on research, but I wrote to ask about regimental photos and books.

Mary

Offline sallymunro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 03 March 14 08:52 GMT (UK) »
David Mitchell was my great uncle i am new to this but have managed to get a family tree together now im looking for information on specific people so anything here would be great
thanks
sally

Offline sallymunro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 03 March 14 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I can definately veryfy for you  that Rhoda Tomlinson was the eldest child of Thomas Tomlinson and Annie Pourie and did marry another Thomas Tomlinson of no relation.
Charles Edward was his brother born in 1884 and died in 1955 married b. Whitton.

This has been great

Offline jfdandmewebb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Retirement is a problem - you never get a day off.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 05 March 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sally - I know we're four years on from your last post, but my research has only just pulled up your great uncle, to whom I'm a 1st cousin 3x removed.  I found the regimental war diaries online, and, just in case you haven't, I can confirm that he was severely wounded on the 11th May 1916 during a reconnaissance of the trench system near Hulluch, not far from Loos.  It is reported that he died the next day, and, given that he's buried in Bethune, I think we can safely assume he was evacuated out to a field hospital there, where he died.
I wonder if you have a photograph of him?  I have spend nearly four years researching ancestors killed in WW1, and I try and find a photo if at all possible.  In June I am travelling from home (Shropshire UK) to France and Belgium to visit the graves and memorials of all that I have found.  Needless to say I have added your great uncle to the list, which is now 11.
John
Paternal: WEBB, CRADDUCK, NAYLOR, CROUCHER, DAVISON, NEWPORT, WHITEHEAD, SMITH (Kent). Maternal: EDMOND, MAITLAND, SINCLAIR, BLACK, SPARK, CROMBIE (Aberdeen); GRANT, POST, TOMLINSON, NORFOLK (Lincolnshire)

Offline Antonia Watson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 09 April 21 03:39 BST (UK) »
William Fisher Tomlinson was my grandfather. He married Ethel  Maud BENTHAM a widow.  1st husband was Sidney Aloysius WOLF.
William died in Christchurch 22 March 1962.
He had a sister Rhoda Spaulding  TOMLINSON who lived at 140 Fendalton Road. My understanding was she was a spinster. She died 30 September 1950 aged 78.
They had a brother Harold TOMLINSON
who lived in Levin NZ. Harold had a daughter Kathleen who nursed in South Africa for years and a son David who also lived in Levin married and had children. He owned a cordial factory in Levin.
There is also  Rhoda Emily TOMLINSON   who died in Christchurch 22 March1962 aged 86. Her husband was Thomas William TOMLINSON. To the best of my knowledge the two Rhodas were not related.
I do know that there was  Sherwood TOMLINSON in my grandfather's family.
I think I still have a photo album belonging to William.