Author Topic: Sweethillock David Grant 1870  (Read 14379 times)

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sweethillock David Grant 1870
« on: Tuesday 08 May 12 16:58 BST (UK) »
I have recently discovered through Scotlands People that my great grandfather was a David Grant who was a farm servant at Sweethillock in Moray county at the time of the birth of my grandfather, Richard Grant, in 1870. Since there were many David Grants living in Moray and surrounding counties at the time, I am unable to identify which one is my ancestor. Could anyone suggest how I might find a list of farm servants who worked at Sweethillock. Secondly, where exactly is Sweethillock?  A google search suggests that there might be more than one Sweethillock. Any asssistance would be much appreciated.

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
Re: Sweethillock David Grant 1870
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 18:29 BST (UK) »
Richard's birth in 1870 should show his mother's name and the date of his parents marriage.

Can you give us these details and then, perhaps we can help you further.

Also which parish was the birth registered in?

Regards
Jean

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 19:19 BST (UK) »
There is this entry in 1871:

Robert Lamb 52., labourer b. Longside, Aberdeenshire
Margaret Lamb 20, daughter b. Monquhiter, Aberdeenshire
Alexanders Lamb 13, son b. Gemsie, Aberdeenshire
Richard Grant 8 months, grandson b. Drainie

Address: Part Of Lossiemouth, Drainie, Moray

A Richard Lamb was born to a Margaret Lamb on 19 July 1870 in Drainie.

Is this the Richard you are researching?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

That's the only Richard Grant I can find also. There is not a birth for a Richard Grant in Moray in 1870 on SP, even allowing a +/- 2 years.

In 1881 Margaret Lamb is living at 25 Street B, Drainie, Elgin with Richard Grant, son, 10 born Lossiemouth
and Fanny McDonald, daughter, 4, born Lossiemouth.

Appears Miss Lamb's children went by their father's surname and not the name they were registered with at birth.

Jean

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 19:49 BST (UK) »
Robert Lamb was born in the village of Longside in 1819. His parents were William Lamb, a shoemaker, and Christian Keith. Robert was called after his grandfather, Robert Keith. He married Mary Hutcheon in 1838.

I have a fair amount of information on the Lambs as Robert's older sister, Christian, was my great great great grandmother. She was married to William Murray. In 1851 your Robert was working as a horseman for William Murray who was then overseer at Kinloch, St Fergus. Robert's family was living in Cuminestown, Monquhitter, at the time. Margaret was born there.

Graham.

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the amazingly quick responses and for your research.

Richard Grant was born in the Parish of Drainie. His birth was registered initially as Richard Lamb. His mother was Margaret Lamb. A "Corrected Entry" (according to Scotlands People) led to the name change of Richard Grant, once the father was known to be David Grant. The revision states that Richard Grant was a farm servant at Sweethillock and Margaret Lamb was formerly a domestic servant at Pittendreich. Do you know exactly where these farms are located?

Richard Grant immigrated to Canada in the 1920s. Margaret Lamb had a daughter, Fanny McDonald, born in 1876 and appears to have married a John Shand in 1885. The father of Fanny was Duncan McDonald. I believe Margaret died in 1891.

Remaining Mysteries: date of Birth, Parents of David Grant; date of death of David Grant; births and deaths of Duncan McDonald and death of Fanny McDonald

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 20:27 BST (UK) »
Wow, Graham!!! Your information is stunning.

I discovered the parents and grandparents of Margaret Lamb and the marriage of Robert to Mary Hutcheon. but, nothing else. This means, of couse, that we must be distantly related. I'd be delighted to learn of any other info that you possess. Do you have any old photos of family members?

Grant

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 21:22 BST (UK) »
Margaret's great grandparents were George Lamb and Elizabeth Keith who married in 1774. They spent most of their lives in the Mains of Pitfour, Old Deer. Elizabeth died in 1802 and George in 1818. One of their sons, William, was born in 1777. He married Christian Keith in 1808. They were Margaret's grandparents. Christian was born in 1788, the daughter of Robert Keith and Isobel Rettie from Clackriach, Old Deer. Christian died in 1847 and William in 1854. Altogether William and Christian had eleven children: Isobel, my Christian, Anne, George, William, your Robert, Margaret, James, Mary, Elizabeth and Alexander.

I don't know of any photographs of the Lambs. Please feel free to get in touch if you think I can help you with any details of the family. The family gravestone is at Crimond.

Graham.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
Just on the issue of Sweet Hillock/Sweethillock and the farm that David Grant was working at in 1870. There is a Sweet Hillock farm in Drainie. In 1871, the family farming there was headed by a William Mustard who is described as a farmer of 140 Acres Arable Employing 3 Man & 2 Women. David Grant does not show there on that 1871 census entry, looks like he had moved on elsewhere by that time.

Not sure where else there may be place names/farms called Sweet Hillock/ Sweethillock, but likely the one in Drainie may be the most relevant given that is where Richard was born in 1870.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk