Author Topic: 16th Birmingham Girls' Life Brigade  (Read 12258 times)

Offline LittleNell44

• RootsChat Member
  • Little Nell ~ summer 1966
    • View Profile
Re: 16th Birmingham Girls' Life Brigade
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 April 13 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Beverley

I found the name from the above photo - if you look carefully at the girl's armband it says '16th Birmingham'.  I'll have a look at the link from your last post....  I'm just curious to find out which of my grandad's cousins these little girls are.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks again

Nell
searching - Lovesey (Worcs, Wilts) / Hickey (B'ham, Cork) / Turland & Buckler (N'hants, Warks) / Cannon (Ireland) / Hymas, Hayton, Warrior, Bowes, Hutchinson & Watson (Nth & West Ridings of Yorks)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 April 13 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I'm still in The Girls Brigade and Birmingham is in our region, so I know lots of officers who may have the information you want.  The 16th may still exist in some form or another.  I'll email a couple of people and let you know.

GLB, The Girls' Brigade Ireland and the Girl's Guildry amalgamated on 10 June 1963 to become The Girls' Brigade.  Some companies (like the one I'm captain of) took over from where GLB left of, with the same leaders, girls, etc. Our company is 70 years old this year.  If you ever want to know anything about GB, please feel free to ask.  I've been in it 35 years and I know people who have been in it much longer!  I have an officer at company, who should have retired many years ago and hasn't.  She must have done almost 60 years service woman & girl.

Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline LittleNell44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 April 13 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa

Thanks for the post, I'd be really happy to know the area and the year the 16th GLB began.

Many thanks

Nell  :D
searching - Lovesey (Worcs, Wilts) / Hickey (B'ham, Cork) / Turland & Buckler (N'hants, Warks) / Cannon (Ireland) / Hymas, Hayton, Warrior, Bowes, Hutchinson & Watson (Nth & West Ridings of Yorks)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 April 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
I've sent out a couple of emails, so I will let you know once I get a response.
Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline LittleNell44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 April 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Lisa, look forward to hearing from you...

Nell

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 14:12 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know that I've not had any response yet.  Still on the case!

Offline Joanne Mackin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 December 14 19:24 GMT (UK) »

I know my post is somewhat out of date now, but I do hope the system is able to alert you about this. I'm currently writing a dissertation on the Girls' Life Brigade, so I may have a few clues as to how you could research this a little further.

Hi Beverly
I'm doing some research into the Girls life brigade during the first world war, uniforms and any war based activity they may have done. The aim being to make a replica uniform to wear at an event in the summer. Do you have any info and/or could I read your dissertation?
Jo
1st Uxbridge

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 December 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo - I have uniforms and badges from GLB. I know some of the Uxbridge leaders - Stephanie, and also Elisabeth Evans - not sure which company they belong too (2nd?)

Anyway, let me know if I can be of help.

Lisa

Offline Joanne Mackin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 December 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
Stephanie is my captain. Im one of her lieutenants. Could I come see or could you take photos?
Jo