Author Topic: William Perry  (Read 8014 times)

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
William Perry
« on: Saturday 09 May 09 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm not quite on a one name study for Perrys in Ireland, but I have ground to halt in trying to find out anything more about William Perry (and his ancestors), maybe born or bred in County Londonderry and one time stationmaster at Larne, County Antrim possibly in the 1860s.  He married Elizabeth Crooks (1843 - 1927) and had at least five children.  That's all I know.

I'll post anything I uncover, but there are a lot of Perrys out there and I can't even get a start that I can hang a firm citation on to get things moving.

All help welcome
Chris

Moderator's Note: split from ONS topic-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,365784.0.html
Barnes, Rickett, Osborn and Durrant near Hemel Hempstead
Chinnick in Devon and London
Nettleship in Lincolnshire
Meuvly (Meuvley and Meuwly) in London and Switzerland
Cook in Hampshire
Craig, Johnston, McCollum, Wright, McAlister, Boyd, Perry and Crooks in County Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Perry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 09:21 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you are still looking for information but I've split your post from another topic and will move to ANTRIM board. If you are no longer looking for information on this family please let us know.

Eliza Perry, a widow, in 1901 census:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Larne/St__John_s_Place/996511
Eliza in 1911- had 6 children but only 5 alive:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Larne/St__John_s_Place/196497

www.familysearch.org lists the marriage and birth details for 4 of the children-
Anne Jane Perry born 11 Feb.1868 Larne district (page 674 in civil register- parents: William Anderson Perry & Elizabeth Crooks

James Cuthbert Perry born 1 Oct.1874 Ireland- same parents

Hannah Perry born 28 Oct.1865 Larne district (page 641 in civil register)- same parents

Elizabeth Perry born 22 May 1864 Glenarm (page 620 in civil register)- same parents

William Anderson Perry, son of Alexander, m.2 Feb.1864 Larne district to Eliza Crooks, daughter of Samuel.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    The Perry/Crooks marriage took place in Ballycarry Presbyterian Church, District of Larne. The fathers were Alexander Perry and Samuel Crooks.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 June 12 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks for keeping the thread alive as one of the biggest breakthroughs I had recently came from one nearly 10 years old!

By means of update, in the interim (2009 to 2012) I have found most of the information available from public sources (Census returns, Registers etc.).

The most important outstanding item is that I still have no clue where William Anderson Perry came from, though the suspicion is still somewhere in County Londonderry.  (Alexander Perry, possibly his father, appears in Griffith's at Cross Glebe, Coleraine).  No siblings are known of.

As for William Anderson Perry's children I have patchy information, as follows:

Elizabeth, married Samuel Crooks and had four children (Marie, Gerty, James Cuthbert Perry and John Edmondson C.).  Marie was last known to be living with her aunt and uncle Cuthbert at Greenlands, Kilwaughter in the 1911 Census.  Gerty appears in the 1911 Census, nothing known after that.  James C P married Wilhelmina Jane Gore and died in the USA.  John E C appears at Olderfleet, Larne in the 1911 Census, nothing known after that.

Hannah (my great grandmother), married James Boyd McAlister and had four children, John Alexander Williams, Annie Jane Perry, Elizabeth Crooks Perry (my grandmother) and James Boyd.  These folks are all well accounted for.

Anne Jane, married Joseph McKinty and had two children Herbert Augustus N and Meta.  Little is known of them other than they lived near the rest of the Perrys in St. John's Place, Larne.

Samuel Crooks, married Martha McClure and had three children, Elizabeth Crooks, Samuel J A C, and James Crooks.  These folks are all well accounted for too.

James Cuthbert, went to sea and my have settled in the USA.  Nothing known of him since he left the UK as a vessel's Chief Engineer in 1925.

So over the last two years a lot of width has gone into the Perry tree, but not much height!

As always, any help is most welcome.

Kind regards
Christopher

Barnes, Rickett, Osborn and Durrant near Hemel Hempstead
Chinnick in Devon and London
Nettleship in Lincolnshire
Meuvly (Meuvley and Meuwly) in London and Switzerland
Cook in Hampshire
Craig, Johnston, McCollum, Wright, McAlister, Boyd, Perry and Crooks in County Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 June 12 14:02 BST (UK) »
I may have some Perry information at home but will be a few days before I'm back and can check my files.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 June 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
This thread wrongly split so here's my post with more details for you, Chris-

Skybluechris- even though it's been a while since you've posted here there are quite a few new online resources available.

You mentioned an Alexander Perry of Cross Glebe-

The Will of Alexander Perry late of Cross Glebe County Londonderry Farmer and Retired Sub-Constable of Constabulary deceased who died 8 May 1880 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of William Ramsay of Barrview Coleraine in said County Farmer the sole Executor. Effects under £100. Will mentions wife (not named) and sons Alexander, Robert, William.
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Do let us know if you'd like more details posted or have found new information yourself.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 June 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Am posting the information I found for skybluechris even though they haven't yet been back online. Unfortunately mailtokathy's request is still on this thread so it's likely to get lost rather than being moved to Ireland-General where it might get a response.

William Anderson Perry, stationmaster Larne, son of Alexander Perry, m.(2 Feb.1864 Ballycarry Pres. Ch.) Elizabeth/Eliza Crooks (1843-1927), dau. of Samuel
   www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Larne/St__John_s_Place/996511
   www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Larne/St__John_s_Place/196497
1.   Elizabeth Perry (1864-1948) m.(1889) Samuel Crooks, m.2 (c1909) John Wilson
2.   Hannah Perry (28 Oct.1865 Larne dist.) m. James Boyd McAlister
        Belfast Newsletter, 3 Nov.1865: PERRY- October 28, at Curran, Larne, the wife of Mr. W.A. Perry, of a daughter.
        1.   John Alexander Williams McAlister
        2.   Annie Jane Perry McAlister
        3.   Elizabeth Crooks Perry McAlister
        4.   James Boyd McAlister
3.   Anne Jane Perry (1868 Larne) m.(1901) Joseph Bannon McKinty
4.   James Cuthbert Perry (1874-1943) m. Annie Gillespie
5.   Samuel Crooks Perry m.(1901) Martha (McClure) Ferguson?
        1.   Elizabeth Crooks Perry (c1901-aft.1911)
        2.   Samuel J.A.C. Perry (1903-aft.1911)
        3.   James Crooks Perry (c1908-aft.1911)
6.   child

Elizabeth Perry (22 May 1864 Glenarm dist.-13 Dec.1948) m.(1889) Samuel Crooks (c1864-12 June 1901), ship carpenter; m.2 (c1909) John Wilson, engineer
      www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Larne/Olderfleet_Road/996297
        Probate of the Will of Samuel Crooks late of 2 Olderfleet Cottage Larne Ship Carpenter County Antrim Ship Carpenter who died 12 June 1901 granted at Belfast to Elizabeth Wilson the Relict
        www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Larne/Olderfleet/196119
        Wilson Elizabeth of 2 Olderfleet Cottages Larne Harbour county Antrim married woman died 13 Dec.1948 Probate Belfast 23 February [1949] to Gertrude Crooks spinster. Effects £481 4s.
        Wilson Herbert John Barclay of 2 Olderfleet Cottages Larne county Antrim cook and steward died 31 May 1955 Probate Belfast 19 July to John Crooks fitter. Effects £245 4s. [born c1881]
1.   Maria Crooks (15 Mar.1890 Larne-aft.1901)
      Birth: Maria Crook 15 Mar.1890 Larne
        "Marie was last known to be living with her aunt and uncle Cuthbert at Greenlands, Kilwaughter in the 1911 Census." Can’t find her or relatives in 1911 but she is with Cuthberts in 1901.
        www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Kilwaughter/Greenlands/995284
2.   (Esther) Gertrude B.B. “Gerty” Crooks (14 Apr.1892 Larne-aft.1949)
    Ester G.B.B. Crooks 14 Apr.1892 Larne
        "Gerty appears in the 1911 Census, nothing known after that." see above.
3.   James Cuthbert Perry Crooks (1897-1949) m. Wilhelmina Jane
4.   John Edmondson Crooks (18 Mar.1900 Larne-aft.1911)
        "John E C appears at Olderfleet, Larne in the 1911 Census, nothing known after that."
        Possibly the John Crooks, fitter, granted probate 1955 for Herbert John Barclay Wilson (above)

continued...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 June 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
James Cuthbert Perry Crooks (24 July 1897 Larne-3 May 1949) m. Wilhelmina Jane (Aug.1897 Ballycastle-Sept.1962)
     3 Sept.1926 James C. P. Crooks, age 29, ships engineer, born Larne Ire., arrived Boston, Mass. from Liverpool Eng. on ‘Scythia,’ wife Mrs E Crooks Roddens Villas Larne, in Mass. 1923-29 May 1926, friend Mr W Steen 52 David Ave Brookline Mass.
     6 July 1930 ‘Cameronia’ arrived Boston, Mass. from Belfast, N.I.: Wilhelmina Jane Crooks, age 32, born Ballycastle, aunt Mrs Sarah Walker Dunbought Clough Co.Antrim, husband James Crooks 42 Harrison St. Quincy Mass.; [name removed], age 4y 11m, born Larne.
     4 Oct.1937 James Cuthbert Perry Crooks, age 40, marine engineer, born Larne Harbour N.I., arrived Boston, Mass. from Liverpool Eng. on ‘Scythia,’ wife Mrs Jean Crooks Strandview Rd Ballycastle, in Mass. 1923-1937, friend Mr Jas Stewart 477 Brook Rd Milton Mass.
     11 Jan.1945 “Anguani” arrived Halifax, N.S., Canada from Swansea, U.K.: Wilhelmina Jane Crooks, 47, born Ballycastle, friend Mrs KJ Kerr 5 Sunbury Ave Bloomfield Belfast, in US 1930/1934, last residence- Ballycastle, husband JPC Crooks United Fruit Co Long Wharf Boston; Elizabeth Gertrude Crooks, 19, born Larne; Maureen Crooks, born 28 Feb.1932 Milton Mass.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Crooks&GSiman=1&GScid=67592&GRid=113085222&
1.   daughter (c1925 Larne-aft.1945)- name not posted as death not found
2.   Maureen Crooks (28 Feb.1932 Milton, Mass.-4 Nov.2011) m.(3 June 1951) J. Joseph Sharp (25 Sept.1929-17 Jan.2015)- 3 ch.
        12 Apr.1951 ‘America’ arrived N.Y. from Cobh, Ireland: Maureen Crooks, 19, born Mass., 6240 Wadsworth Dr New Orleans.
        http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Sharp&GSiman=1&GScid=68102&GRid=91038732&
        J. Joseph "Buddy" Sharp, 85, of Mandeville, Louisiana, passed away on Saturday, January 17, 2015 surrounded by his loving children. Buddy was born in Mandeville on Wednesday, September 25, 1929 and enjoyed the serenity of the Northshore his entire life. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 60 years, Maureen Crooks Sharp. He is survived by his three children, [names removed], and his four grandchildren, [names removed]. A graduate of Mandeville High School, he also served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. Upon completion of his military service he began a 32 year career with South Central Bell Telecommunications. After retirement he lived in Old Mandeville with his wife, Maureen. His days were filled with a myriad of outdoor pursuits, which included everything from fishing and crabbing in Lake Pontchartrain, vegetable gardening, to breeding and racing Thoroughbreds. His family and friends will fondly remember Buddy's giving and open heart and his generous spirit. A private graveside service will be held in Mandeville. Memorial donations preferred to… . Arrangements by Bagnell & Son Funeral Home of Covington, LA. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theneworleansadvocate/obituary.aspx?pid=173939158

Anne Jane Perry (11 Feb.1868 Larne dist.) m.(1901) Joseph Bannon McKinty (d.21 June 1950)
     McKinty Joseph Bannon of 11 Dunluce Street Larne county Antrim retired master mariner died 21 June 1950 at 25 Beechpark Street Belfast Probate Belfast 4 August to Herbert Augustus Nelson McKinty pharmaceutical chemist. Effects £1615 0s. 10d.
1.   Herbert Augustus Nelson McKinty (3 Apr.1904 Larne-7 July 1960) m. Nancy
        Crooks Mary Edith of Model Farm Cottage Larne county Antrim spinster died 21 April 1948 at the District Hospital Larne Probate Belfast 2 July to Robert Wilson law clerk and Herbert Augustus Nelson McKinty pharmaceutical chemist. Effects £2825 11s. 3d. (effects £1752 17s 9d in England) [born c1874]
        McKinty, Herbert Augustus Nelson of Drumnacross Laharna Avenue Larne county Antrim pharmaceutical chemist company director died 7 July 1960 at Moyle Hospital Larne Administration Belfast 9 May to Nancy McKinty the widow. Effects £4198 18s.
2.   Martha “Meta” McKinty (7 July 1906 Larne-aft.1911)

James Cuthbert Perry (1 Oct.1874 Larne-25 Nov.1943), engineer, m. Annie Gillespie (c1891 Islandmagee, Co.Antrim-aft.1940)
     "James Cuthbert, went to sea and my have settled in the USA.  Nothing known of him since he left the UK as a vessel's Chief Engineer in 1925."
     6 Dec.1920 James Cuthbert Perry, 2nd engineer, arrived New York from Belfast via Vanencia? on ‘San Bruno’
     31 Jan.1926 James C. Perry, marine engineer, arrived Boston, Mass. from Puerto Limon, Costa Rica on ‘San Gil’- wife Annie Perry of 62A Pritchard Ave, 5’11” medium complexion grey hair brown eyes, born Larne Ireland, in US 24? years (Mass.)
     29 Sept.1926 Annie Perry & son James C. Perry arrived Boston on ‘Scythia’ from Liverpool, England.
     1926- 19 Cherry St., Hudson, Mass.
     1930 Census- 14 Apsley, Hudson, Middlesex, Mass.: James C. Perry, 55, NI, m. age 31, to US 1920 (first papers), engineer- electric plant; wife Annie Perry, 39, NI, to US 1921; son James C. Perry, 4 9/12, Mass.; dau. Nanny E. Perry, 2 8/12, Mass.
     1940 Census- 90 Cottage St., Hudson, Middlesex, Mass.: James C. Perry, 65, NI, Naturalized, engineer; wife Annie Perry, 48; son James C. Perry, 14; dau. Nancy E. Perry, 12.
1.   James C. “Jim” Perry (13 July 1925 Mass.-9 Oct.2005)
2.   Nancy E. Perry (22 July 1927 Mass.-2 Feb.2011)