Author Topic: Trowlan / Convery Quinn / McGuigan  (Read 11377 times)

Offline babykate

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trowlan / Convery Quinn / McGuigan
« on: Wednesday 09 May 12 11:41 BST (UK) »
Looking for any assistance on parents or siblings of:

Anne Trowland & Patrick Convery - Fallalea - Married 17th Dec 1842 had a daughter Ann born 7th Oct 1852.
Did they have any more children and where do i go to look further back and find out about their parents?

Thomas Quinn (Spirit Merchant) and Jane McGuigan Married 24th Oct 1878 - I know his father was Thomas Quinn also but how do i find out more about him - don't know who his wife was - were there any other siblings? Also know Jane's father was James McGuigan but nothing about her mother or other siblings?

Any help would be great.
Draperstown: Trowlan, Quinn, Convery, Kelly, McKenna, Griffin, Sergeant, Hamilton, Taylor.
Monaghan: Duffy, McArdle
Sligo: Egan.
Mayo: Loftus.
Dungannon: Reilly, Milligan, Ryan, Harte.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trowlan / Convery Quinn / McGuigan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
You'll probably need to see what church records are available to trace these people.

Registration of births started in 1864 and it could be that Patrick and Anne Convery's children were born before that date.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

This 2005 thread on another forum might be of interest if it isn't your post-
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.toland/185.1.1.1/mb.ashx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johngam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
There are/were numerous Convery families living in and around Maghera and Fallalea townland, so much so that it is normal practice, even today, to refer to them by their family nickname. If you know the nickname, they will be much easier to locate.
This practice also applies to McKenna, Bradley and other common names in this area.

I have photos of an old "Trollen" headstone at Glen Chapel, Maghera, also two from Straw, Draperstown, and one more modern from Kennaght, Draperstown. In addition I have several photos of old Convery headstones from Glen Chapel, where Patrick & Anne were married. Let me know if they are of interest.

Just in case you didn't spot it, there is a Thomas Quinn, Spirit Merchant, married to a Jane, living in Draperstown, listed in both the 1901 & 1911 Census of Ireland.

The Public Records Office for Northern Ireland website has details of the Will of a Thomas Quinn of Draperstown, spirit merchant and farmer who died 19th August 1925.

"..Probate Belfast 30 April to Frank Quinn and Michael Morgan (Peter) farmers..".

Perhaps Frank Quinn could have been Thomas' brother? As to Michael Morgan (Peter); "Peter" is quite possibly the Morgan family nickname.

Assuming this is the Will of "your" Thomas Quinn, where it reveals that he was also a farmer, take a look at The Belfast Gazette
http://www.belfast-gazette.co.uk/issues/432/pages/1190
This shows an entry in 1929 for a Thomas Quinn regarding a parcel of land, roughly 28 acres in Draperstown.

John
Maghera

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 May 12 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, took a look at available records, I see the marriage of the couple in 1842, Maghera RC Church I don't think the fathers names are recorded in this record, this was not unusual for Roman Catholic marriages of the time.

I also see the birth record of Ann in 1852 Maghera RC Church and 2 possible siblings

Margaret Convrey recorded 1855, baptised at same church, father Patrick Convrey, mother Nancy Trowland (Nancy was a common pet name for Anne)

Patrick Convrey recorded 1860 same details as above

Large gap between marriage in 1842 and childrens births in the following decade, would seem to be missing records here, either births were not recorded or Anne had several miscarriages

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline babykate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your help - the names are so common in that area that its like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Draperstown: Trowlan, Quinn, Convery, Kelly, McKenna, Griffin, Sergeant, Hamilton, Taylor.
Monaghan: Duffy, McArdle
Sligo: Egan.
Mayo: Loftus.
Dungannon: Reilly, Milligan, Ryan, Harte.

Offline cmatyckas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 February 13 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

I'm researching my great, great grandfather, John M. Convery (M. may be Manas or Matthew), born 1809 in Rocktown.  He married Sarah Lagan (born 1827) in 08 SEPT 1853; may be John's second marriage because of age difference; together they had the following children (church records indicate Lavey Parish) :

Mary - born 1854
John - born 1855
John - born 1858
Mary - born 1859
Patrick - born 1861
William James - born 1864
Robert Henry - born 1866
Charles (my grandfather) (church records have his last name spelled "Confrey") - born 1869

John M. Convery and Sarah Lagan Convery are buried together in the Old Cemetery at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Lavey Parish.  John died on 07 JAN 1881 at age 72; Sarah died on 12 OCT 1873 at age 46.  Buried with John and Sarah is a daughter, could be from John's first marriage.  She died on 14 JAN 1889; the daughter may be Mary Convery.

Let me know if any of this information is match.  I would appreciate any additional information on this family.

Caren Convery

Moderator Note: see separate thread-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,633180

Offline johngam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 February 13 02:34 GMT (UK) »
In reply to an email re Convery.

The Convery-Lagan marriage below matches a marriage obtained from a source on Ro

Caren -

A Convery researcher in the U.S. kindly sent his family tree a while back. Comparing it with your family line, he might be a kinsman of yours, provided some inconsistencies can be resolved.

He too cites the birth of Robert Henry Convery on 15th March 1866 to a John Convery and Sarah Lagan.

His tree makes no mention of Robert Henry's siblings, however it states that John M. Convery had brothers; Hugh Convery, who married Mary C. Lagan, and Daniel Thomas? Convery b. approx 1840 in Fallagloon, who married Mary Crilly 6 Jan 1862 in Maghera Roman Catholic church. The Convery-Crilly marriage also appears on the Emerald Ancestors website, and it is the branch to which this U.S. researcher belongs. That branch emigrated to San Francisco.

In addition his tree states that Sarah Lagan's parents were Thomas Lagan and Anne McKenna. They are also listed as the parents of Mary C. Lagan; so apparently two brothers John M. and Hugh Convery married two sisters, Sarah and Mary C. Lagan.

Based on your research, I have found one inconsistency in his work. A headstone at Glen, Maghera which I photographed states:

Erected by Sarah Lagan San Francisco in loving memory of her mother Anne Lagan who died 6th February 1876 aged 43 years and also of her father Thomas Lagan who died 26th March 1888? (1898?)aged 86 years.

You have found that John M. Convery and his wife Sarah Lagan are buried in Ireland, yet this headstone implies that a Sarah Lagan is in San Francisco. This would imply that Thomas Lagan & Anne McKenna may not be "your" Sarah Lagan's parents. It is interesting that like the Convery-Crilly family, she too is in San Francisco.

You speculate about the large age gap between John M. Convery and Sarah Lagan. Another large age gap puzzle is that betweeen John M. Convery born 1809 and his brother Thomas Convery estimated to be 1840.

--

Did any branch of your family move to the United States?
Do the surnames Crilly/McKenna/Lagan appear anywhere in your family?
Perhaps you might list some descendants of John M. Convery, it might be possible to identify the family in more recent times.
Don't suppose you know your Convery family nickname, that would be a great help.

Regards

John
in Maghera

Offline cmatyckas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 February 13 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for making contact.

I just wanted to acknowledge your mail. I will have a look at your info and my scribblings and get back to you as soon as I can

Best wishes

Caren

Offline cmatyckas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 February 13 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Thank you for your information.  These Converys can be very troublesome.  When I began my research, I nevery realized Convery was such a popular name in Gulladuff/Maghera; and they all seemed to give suceeding generations of their children the same names.  The biggest difficulty is the sheer number of Converys in Rocktown. It is always more difficult sorting out families when there are many, as opposed to just a few.

My answers to your questions are below:

(A)  Did any branch of your family move to the United States?  Yes, Charles Convery, my great grandfather moved to the United States around 1892.  He settled in Paterson, New Jersey (Paterson, New Jerrsey is known as "Silk City"; by 1870, nearly fifty percent of the silk made in the United States was produced in the silk mills in Paterson).  Charles married Winifred Long, from Galway, Ireland, in Paterson, New Jersey, on 27 NOV 1895; they had four children together - Francis Joseph (1897); William John (1898); Charles Aloysius (1902); and my grandmother, Winifred (1912).  Charles died on 18 SEPT 1914 in Paterson, New Jersey.  I believe Patrick Convery moved to the United States; but I do not have supporting documentation.

(B)  Do the surnames Crilly/McKenna/Lagan appear anywhere in your family?  Yes,  I've attached Parish Birth Certificates from Maghera Roman Catholic Church for each of the children born to John Convery and Sarah Lagan between 1854 and 1869; there is a Lagan as a witness to almost every birth.  Francis Lagan and Thomas McClernon were witnesses at the marriage of John Convery and Sara Lagan on 08 SEPT 1853; copy also attached.  James McKenna, Andy Convery and Mary McPeak were witnesses at the marriage of Arthur Young and Ann Convery on 29 DEC 1864; copy also attached. 

(C)  Perhaps you might list some descendants of John M. Convery, it might be possible to identify the family in more recent times.  I've attached a copy of the 1901 Irish Census showing William James Convery living with his brother, John Convery; both are not married.   

(D) Don't suppose you know your Convery family nickname.  Don't know my family's nickname.

Robert Henry Convery - Attached is supporting documentation for Robert Henry, which include a copy of Robert's civil birth record indicating his parents, John and Sara are from Rocktown.  Robert Henry is the only child of Charles and Sarah who did not have a Lavey Parish record.  This led me to believe Robert Henry may be the son of another John and Sarah Convery.  However, I found additional information on Ancestry.com, which confirms Robert Henry is the son of John and Sarah Convery of Rocktown.  Line 11 of the Philadelphia Passenger List (page 2), dated October 6, 1894, indicates Robert Henry Convery arrived in the United States to visit his brother, Charles (my great grandfather), in Paterson, New Jersey.  Robert lists his current residence as Knockloughlin.   

I've also attached a copy of the Marriage Certificate for Thomas Convery and Ann Lagan; witnesses were Thomas McClernon and Bernard McKeown.  Thomas McClernon could be the same person who is a witness to the marriage of John Convery and Sarah Lagan.

Let me know your thought; additional attachments will follow separately.

Caren Convery