Author Topic: Gaskin family of Dublin  (Read 11397 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gaskin family of Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 May 12 12:12 BST (UK) »

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 May 12 12:31 BST (UK) »
Well done Tara on Ellen - could well be her!!

Following up on the other side:

Shane suggested that Nora LONG was at Queen’s Square on the 1901 Census and the birth in 1882 is Nora

If Nora is the daughter of Jeremiah LONG and Mary Jane BYRNE and described as the niece of William MURRAY in 1901 then logically she is the daughter of William’s sister or his wife or her sister. (Her name would be Murray if William's brother’s child)

As this is possibly the marriage of William MURRAY and Elizabeth BYRNE
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/84d4fd0446918
Then Elizabeth could be the sister of Mary Jane BYRNE (mother shown on baptism record of Hanora Long found by Shane) confirming the connection although BYRNE is a common name.
The addresses are also close together at Queens St

The marriage of Jeremiah LONG and Mary Jane BYRNE is online
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/7090df0444746

As are their possible other children listed here with others
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0m9q/

The marriage shows Jeremiah's parents as Thomas LONG and Nora ? and Mary Jane's parents as James BYRNE and Julia ?

Lots for you to go through!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 May 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your contributions (and Shane of course). Irish genealogy is new to me as an Englishman descended from generations of East Midlands peasants, despite the fact that I've been genealogicising for several years. With your help I now know a lot more about where to look and my new sister-in-law is delighted to hear about her maternal Irish ancestors. Having said that, the article about poverty and disease in Dublin tenements, where they lived, tempers that joy. One of the great things about this hobby is that you learn a bit about the hard lives and times of the people who were responsible for us being here. Puts the difficulties of our modern lives into perspective!

Tony

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 May 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

All my family are from generations that came from the Dublin tenements. When they were moved to the 'suburbs' in the 1930's to a 2 up 2 down (11 of them in the family) and an outdoor toilet, they thought they were in the lap of luxury HA.

The thing is that over the years and speaking to the 'old timers', most of them loved it in the inner city. As hard as it was, everyone was in the same boat, no-one knew any different, and there was always someone close to hand to help out.

Tara

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 May 12 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara

That's an interesting perspective. My maternal grandparents lived in an inner city rented terraced house, although they didn't share it with several other families. I am old enough to remember however that there was a great sense of community there. I suppose that the 'didn't know any better' issues in their case related to the lack of an inside loo, no central heating, a boiler and mangle used to launder clothes and a general lack of so-called 'white goods'. My own mother had every childhood serious illness going and by right should never had survived, unlike so many of the Dublin tenement children, because there were no antibiotics.

So I accept that they were different times and that distance blurs perspective, but from where I stand they were still pretty shocking times.

Interestingly it appears likely that the Gaskin family I'm looking into came to England to escape those conditions. What is not clear however is whether they found much improvement in 1920s London when they arrived.

Tony

Offline Cosmosjulie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 March 16 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tony,

I am related to the William Bury and Lucy Gaskin from Inishfallen Parade, Dublin. I would prefer to email you privately.

Regards,

Julie

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 March 16 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Julie

To send a Private Message you must make at least three posts first
Just reply twice to this with thank you or any other comment!

Then you can use the icon on the left that look like a "rectangular piece of paper with writing"
hover your mouse over the icons under the nom de plume/nickname and you'll see it

We are not allowed to post email addressed on the topics directly

Hope you both find out more about your families
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Cosmosjulie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 March 16 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Julie

Offline Cosmosjulie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile