Author Topic: Robert Calder  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Calder
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 July 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
In the first post the op said they had been watching WDYTYA and in the programme it was stated that one of the ancestor came from Dundee Ayrshire which got his attention
Just trying to clear up any confusion from that programme that's why I said it doesn't answer the Robert Calder question
Sorry for further confusion probably should have quoted first post

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 July 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
Ah, thank you.

If this ancestor on WDYTYA was said to be from Dundee, Ayrshire, which is plainly not possible, could the WDYTYA researcher have found the same death certificate? And if not, were both impossible birthplaces recorded by the same clerk or registrar, who for some reason believed, wrongly, that Dundee was in Ayrshire?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 July 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Ah, thank you.

If this ancestor on WDYTYA was said to be from Dundee, Ayrshire, which is plainly not possible, could the WDYTYA researcher have found the same death certificate? And if not, were both impossible birthplaces recorded by the same clerk or registrar, who for some reason believed, wrongly, that Dundee was in Ayrshire?

No as the programme stated that Deta's ancestor came from Ayrshire and showed an advert for the business in Dundee but never said that Dundee was in Ayrshire
Possibly just the way the op picked up on Ayrshire and Dundee being shown in relation to the programme

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 July 18 03:12 BST (UK) »
Yep, OK could be right. I will rewatch it again as I recorded it. If thats correct then I just added 2 and 2 in my head. Thx for the responses, didnt get any closer but it was a long shot. However it still doesnt answer how the marriage cert has Dundee and Ayrshire, but as said it maybe a mystery that will never be resolved.
Broughton London
Phillips-Broughton London

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 July 18 03:44 BST (UK) »
Screwlooose,

My original opinion was based on the County which was Ayrshire & as that info. came from Robert himself my original thought was the spelling of the place name prior was doubtful i.e. not Dundee but something of very similar spelling & there were many Farms around which may not have had names (on maps).

I can't work out why (as Forfarian noted too) why Dundee would be classed as Ayrshire?

I haven't seen the Delta programme, was there a doc./cert. shown with those details & if so, which?

Were the details of place given by Delta's ancestor such as on a marriage?

You must be frustrated with all the questions but it's sure worth re-watching to collect all you hear/see in that episode as we are all trying to help.

Can you tell if the Delta ancestor is in the same area as Robert Calder & same era when the details were written.

Anything at all may help?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 July 18 04:00 BST (UK) »
As the last post noted, they said Ayrshire and was holding a drawing with the word Dundee underneath so it wasnt actually said Dundee in Ayrshire. It may have been an infrence and as I sad my brain put 2 and 2 together. I will watch it again and just keep trying to work out where. I think I may have to go to records office in Melbourne and see if I can find his arrival to Australia. I know that I will find it and it will just say, 'Scotland' but have to go through the process. In the end we all have questions that can never be answered. But we keep lookin anyway. LOL
Thx for the effort and I never get sick of questions, sometimes they open the door.
Broughton London
Phillips-Broughton London

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 July 18 04:32 BST (UK) »
I have been there on a WDYTYA programme!!!

I saw a name on a DC or whichever cert. same name as one of my own ancestors & I watched the programme over & over many times but couldn't save the doc!

Turned out it wasn't/couldn't have been my ancestor when I eventually managed to transcribe everything from the many viewings  ;D

Can you please list the names of his children for a clue?

I noted someone mentioned finding the family on 1851 census but there were no details/lnks to it i.e. have you been able to verify this as it would state where Robert was born?

The info. regarding an online tree with his birth (as Forfarian mentioned) is not visible on SP as I checked this early on myself out of curiosity with the debate of Dundee (Angus/Forfar) or Ayr.

Have you tried to contact the owner of the online tree on 'Fancestry' to enquire as the info. they have is certainly not on SP i.e. may be from other records?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 July 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
Have you explored the family below in the 1841 census? I think they are the family born Aboyne, Aberdeenshire...in 1851 the son Alexander looks to have been living in Dundee - occupation is listed at a grocer and spirit dealer - birth place Aboyne.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 July 18 18:31 BST (UK) »
Jen,

Your find was one I'd considered but was thrown off as the surname Harper couldn't be found on baptisms hence asking for the names of the children of Robert.

It does seem a better fit all round.

I wonder if Helen/Ellen had previously been married for the surname of Harper to come up?

Annie