Author Topic: Robert Calder  (Read 5811 times)

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Calder
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 July 18 03:30 BST (UK) »
I have attached the section of his marriage cert. Not great clarity but u can make out Dundee and Ayrshire fairly easily. Extreme right.
The closest I could find was a Robert Calder, father William, at the saw mill, mother Helen Findlay. Baptized  July 20,  1920 Aboyne, Aberdeen.
Broughton London
Phillips-Broughton London

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 July 18 03:46 BST (UK) »
In 'Dundee' the 'd' looks like 'cl' as the 'd' in 'widow' is formed differently?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 July 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Ayrshire certainly looks clear enough. But Dunclee makes no sense, any more than Dundee.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 July 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
Forfarian...

It's a start!

Ayrshire out of the 2 seems the more likely correct place although 'Dun' whatever may be a Farm name, something not actually a 'town/village name'?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 July 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
No, sorry but I think Dundee is correct. I think the closeup makes it look different if it is zoomed out to normal page size it looks more like a "d" than anything else. Not sure which one is "morre" correct. Maybe just one of those family history things never to be deciphered. I will keep looking. Just funny that it was mentioned in an episode of WDYTYA, if it is incorrect.
Broughton London
Phillips-Broughton London

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 July 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
Is this the death of your Robert CALDER, died 1893, SPOL, age 74...……..?
1893 / 15972 CALDER  Robt parents Wm / Ellen (HARPER)

What names do you have for their children?

What names do you see on the marriage certificate, 1858, for witnesses?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 July 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
sorry this doesn't answer the question about Robert but I watched the Delta Goodrem programme and from my understanding they said her ancestor came from Ayrshire but showed an advert for the family business which stated they had a warehouse/shop in Commercial street Dundee Angus

Several Ancestry trees and a baptisim record on Scotlands People show he was born in Adrossan Ayrshire

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 July 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
Taking into consideration the 1851 census result as living in Dundee, I wonder if the question about the birth-place was misunderstood, (ie where are you from ?) and the current place of residence ie Dundee was given instead of the birthplace, Ayrshire.  This was corrected, as Ayrshire was noted as well, and Dundee was just left recorded to confuse budding genealogists in 2018.

Malky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 July 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
sorry this doesn't answer the question about Robert but I watched the Delta Goodrem programme and from my understanding they said her ancestor came from Ayrshire but showed an advert for the family business which stated they had a warehouse/shop in Commercial street Dundee Angus
Sorry, but I don't understand this. Who or what is Delta Goodrem and is there any connection with Robert Calder?

Also there must be plenty of businesses with branches in both Dundee and Ayrshire.

Several Ancestry trees and a baptisim record on Scotlands People show he was born in Adrossan Ayrshire
I have not been able to find this baptism on the SP index.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.