Author Topic: Bishop and Neal families Peterborough area  (Read 9566 times)

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bishop and Neal families Peterborough area
« on: Thursday 10 May 12 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am new to this list and a bit stuck & confused.  :-\

My great grandfather John Bishop is listed on FreeBMD as dying June 1/4 1904 in Peterborough. I had tried to get a copy of his death certificated from Cambridgeshire with no luck. Is my only option to go to the General Registry Office? Under which county does Peterborough fall.

At the time of his death he was a police constable with the Coates Constabulary. He died on duty. I have been hoping that somewhere in a newspaper of the time there would have been a piece regarding his death. I have been advised by a police historian that he died 21st April 1904. He was buried in the Coates churchyard but to date I have not been able to confirm if his plot has a headstone. Does anyone have access to the Peterborough area papers of that time? (I live in Australia). I am hoping someone can find something covering his death and funeral.

On his death his wife remarried to a widower named Thomas Henry Neal. He had several children from his first marriage. I wonder if the following names may be familiar to anyone. William Isaac Neal b 1895, Rose Neal b 1896 married William Benstead, Harry Neal b 1897 married Mabel Weldon, Arthur Neal b 1998 d 1916; Grace Neal b 1899 married George Ruff, May Elizabeth Kate Neal b1901 married Charles Gordon.

Any help much appreciated. I have been stuck on both these areas for quite some time.

DMR
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop and Neal families Peterborough area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
John Bishop did indeed die in the Peterborough Registration District, in 1904.

The problem is, I think, that that RD covers parishes in Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire, Huntingdonshire & Peterborough.

You can use the information from FreeBMD to order the certificate from the GRO, where it is cheaper (£9.25) than most Registrar Offices!
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi to you both.

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

DMR you can always contact Peterborough library and ask about the
newspaper article.

libraryenquiries@vivacity-peterborough.com

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
You may already know that Tom Bishop is noted here with
Arthur Neal also.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Cambridgeshire/Coates.html

The Northants boards also cover Peterborough areas.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 May 12 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi KGarrad & Sandy,

Thanks for your replies.

No wonder I was confused. I will sent to the GRO for his certificate. I am hoping the cause of death matches up to what I have been told through family here in Australia.

Thanks Sandy for the link for the Peterborough library. I have been trying to find newspaper info for a couple of years now and being in Australia I cannot just pop in and look. I had though Peterborough was in Cambridgeshire but now have learnt otherwise.

Yes Sandy, I do have the information from the Coates honour roll. Thomas Bishop was my grans brother and Arthur Neal her step brother.

I have little information on my gran's brother Philip Bishop born 1890 and died about the age of 70. From my research I believe his wife was Elizabeth Hurry. She died 1947 aged 58. The had a girl named Mary. My research again as produced a Gwendoline M Bishop born 1917. I have recently been told she may have married late in life but possibly had no children. Philip Bishop was a railway goods foreman. He was presented with a clock on retirement after 45 years of service.

I have a newspaper clipping for the funerals of both Philip Bishop and his wife Mrs P Bishop but unfortunately the dates have been cut off. They have be a source for family names especially the Neals listed below.

I have even less on the Neal family and hope to make contact with descendants. Futher information gained from the clippings and FREEBMD includes:
Thomas Henry Neal born about 1871 possibly married in 1894 to Alice Knight at Whittlesey. Possible death of first wife 1910 at Whittlesey.
Possible children of marriage include:
Grace Neal born 1899 married George Ruff 1922 Birmingham (Children Elizabeth AM 1922, Ralph J 1924, Gaynor 1926, Molly 1931)
Rose Neal born 1896 married William Benstead Whittlesey 1924 died 1959 Peterborough (Children Alice M Benstead 1925)
Arthur Neal born 1898 died WW1 21st Apr 1916
Mary Elizabeth Kate Neal 1901 married Charles A Gordon 1925 Whittlesey (Children Betty E 1929, Lionel D 1935 Whittlesey)
Harry Neal born 1897 married Mabel J Weldon 1918 Whittlesey (Children Arthur 1920. Thomas H 1921, Reginald 1922, Harry 1928 Whittlesey Winifred
1927 &, Eric 1932 Leistershire)
Thomas Henry Neal married Mary Elizabeth Chesterfield (my great grandmother) in 1911

DMR
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 12 06:06 BST (UK) »
In case you don't already have it:

Deaths, March qtr 1960
Whittlesey (Cambridgeshire) district    vol 4a, page 373

Bishop, Philip J    age 70
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 May 12 06:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks KGarrad

I did not have the death entry detail for Philip J Bishop. I couldn't find it on FREEBDM. This will be him.

Does his wife show up in 1947?

DMR

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 May 12 07:09 BST (UK) »
You must be putting too much information into the search boxes on FreeBMD?
Less is more!

E.G. Never put in a second forename ;D

Putting Surname = Bishop, Dates = Mar 1947 to DEc 1947, county = Cambridgeshire (which should also pick up Peterborough!) gives:

June qtr 1947
Whittlesey district    vol 4a, page 292

Bishop, Elizabeth    age 58

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 May 12 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again KGarrad

I will have to be a bit more careful on FreeBMD.

These entries have narrowed the date of death to the quarter which will be helpful.

I have spent a bit of time today trying to track done the Neal family. So far no luck with anyone researching that family but I have Thomas Henry Neal's parents' names as Isaac Neal and Mary Ann ? bprn Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire respectively. I am hoping to find someone who is connect with this family somewhere.

DMR