Author Topic: Who's The Daddy?  (Read 6476 times)

Offline rosetta890

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who's The Daddy?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 January 14 23:36 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother born in 1933 was an illegitimate child. Her mother never told her who her father was and it was a well kept secret. My grandmother ended up being looked after by her aunt and then in Nazareth House Children's Home in Derry. She mentioned to someone once that her father was an American. I don't know where she heard this or if it was plain fantasy to take away from the fact she was unloved and unwanted. Either way. She never found out and I would like to try but there is no father named on the birth certificate. Is there any other way to find out the fathers name or should I just accept it's going to be a mystery that will forever remain unsolved?
Hi, this is quite bizarre but I'm in the exact same situation, my granny born in 1935 to an un wed mother in Donegal called Mary Doherty, unknown father (given up on finding out about him a long time ago) raised in Nazareth House, Derry, from birth until eighteen, I've been trying to find out about her background and where she came from for years. I'm sure they must have crossed paths at some point. Her full name was Anne Patricia Doherty but i recently was told she was called 'shelia' and didn't find out her real name until she left, i don't know if that's true or not. Nazareth house also ignored my messages. I know in clutching at straws but this is the closest i have come to finding anything, my gran died in 2002, I'm tring not to let her history die with her, as where all aging i think soon there will be no history to find. I hope your search went well, I'm still on mine.

Offline mmcpadden1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »

There is an organisation in Letterkenny,Co.Donegal which may be able to get further info.for both queries.The contact details (in the public domain) is : Seamus Gallagher,Social Worker,St.Muras Adoption Society,Monastery Ave.,Letterkenny,Co.Donegal. Email : stmuras@eircom.net.However even if there is a supposed father in the registers of the Orphanage / Home this cannot be disclosed as there is no proof of its veracity.Since the parents were unmarried the fathers name did not appear on the Birth Cert.

Offline Denise2779

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosetta! I'm sure they must have crossed paths as they were close in age. I'm guessing from the recent press coverage on the abuse at Nazareth House in Derry that this may be why we have been ignored. My dad knows the names of some of my granny's friends from the home. I will ask him and post when I find out

Offline Denise2779

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Rosetta,

the names I got from my dad are Lizzie Dorrian, Mary Burke, Mary Gillespie, Kitty Kane and Bridie Bridge.

Offline Katrinaboyle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 July 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for my fathers biological parents. He was adopted from the Nazareth house in Belfast in 1964/1965 I have his adoption birth certificate. Does anyone know what my steps should be? Who do I email? Or send a letter to?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 July 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for my fathers biological parents. He was adopted from the Nazareth house in Belfast in 1964/1965 I have his adoption birth certificate. Does anyone know what my steps should be? Who do I email? Or send a letter to?

Here's the official advice for tracing birth parents-
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/tracing-and-contacting-birth-relatives-and-adopted-adults
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!