Author Topic: jessie harcourt  (Read 6561 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: jessie harcourt
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 May 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
ive found on genuki that jessie inherited a kingsthorpe hall in 1879  in pickering   she later married  james thornhill ashton  who was resideing at there home ,but i cannot trace her father on anything i did come across some one put on internet she was illigit child of thomas fothergill 

Is this the info. you found on Genuki

Post Office, professions and trades for PICKERING in Bulmer's Directory of 1890
Miscellany of trades Harcourt Miss Jessie, Kingthorpe hall

KINGTHORPE is a township in this parish containing 2,760 acres, of which 1,134 are under assessment. The township comprises three farms and two or three cottages, containing in all 50 inhabitants. The estate, the property and manor of Miss Jessie Harcourt, was long associated with the Fothergills, to some of whom there are monuments in Pickering Church

PICKERING: info year 1868."KINGTHORPE, a township in the parish of Pickering Colonel Fothergill is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Kingthorpe Hall is the principal residence

"professions and trades" for PICKERING in Baines's Directory of 1823. Gentry & c.: Fothergill, Colonel John

http://barstew.wordpress.com/st-marys-mission-pontefract/

a plaque inscribed to ‘Mary Hudson – daughter of the late John Fothergill Esq. of Kingthorp in this county’. (Mary was the dau of Colonel Fothergill of Kingthorp in Yorkshire. She married John Conyers Hudson of Helmsley who was employed as a clerk at East India House.

1841 census HO107 1261 Bk2 folio 3
Kingsthorpe Hall Pickering Yorkshire
Thomas Fothergill 50 Ind. born in county

1851 census HO107 1495 folio 12
8 Pembridge Place St Pancras Middlesex
Thomas Fothergill 62 Head Widower Proprietor of Land Retired Colonel York Yorkshire

Thomas Fothergill
died 1st July 1874 Probate of will 24th August 1874
Late of Kingsthorpe in the County of York Nd of 8 Inverness Road Bayswater
Will proved at the Principal Registry

Could this be baptism of Thomas Fothergill born 1888? His father being John Fothergill b1761

Thomas Fothergill 29 May 1788 St Michael Le Belfrey York born 1 May
parents John Fothergill & Mary
parental g/f Marmaduke Maternal g/f Francis Bacon g/m Mary Pease
(source ancestry)

Also these Baptism at Holy Trinity Micklegate York parents John Fothergill & Mary Bacon
Marmaduke 26 Mar 1790, John 14 Mar 1791, Mary 5 Jul 1792, Francis 20 Mar 1794
(source family search)

John Fothergill (1761) married 17 Jul 1787 St Michael York
Mary Bacon (1763) bapt St Michael Le Belfry York 20 Jun 1763 Alderman Bacon & Mary (source family search)

Annotated Obituary 1848 Mary Fothergill only surviving dau of Lieut. Col Thomas Fothergill of Kingthorp co. York 28th March at Naples

1849  Obituary July 24 At Genoa, Margaret-Smyth, wife of Lieut-Col Thomas Fothergill of Kingthorpe Yorkshire

Obituary March 1823 Feb 12 At Kingthorpe House, John Fothergill esq. Late of his Majesty’s Deputy Lieut. For the country and Lieut-Col, Commandant of the 5th Yorkshire Local Militia

Obituary May 1813 at Kingthorp Mary wife of Lieut – Col. Fothergill youngest dau of the late Mr Alderman Bacon of York
(source The Gentleman’s Magazine)

Could this be a possible link/connection of Jessie Harcourt to Thomas Fothergill  ???

The sole Executor of Thomas Fothergill Esq. Will 1874 (under £16,000) was William Webster Watson of 89 Chancery Lane Barrister at Law.

William Webster Watson Barrister in Law
is a visitor of
James Thornhill Ashton & Jessie in 1901
and a visitor of
Elizabeth & Jessie Harcourt in 1891

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 May 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

The will may give the relationship of Jessie to Thomas Fothergill. If it doesn't the death duty register entry (held at The National Archives) will. The will and/ or the death duty register would seem to be the easiest way to establish the relationship. Given that Thomas was born around 1788 if he was directly related he could just as easily be her grandfather rather than her father.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tjtree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 May 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
thats amazing i wonder why  he was there jessie must have something to do with them then .and it was on genuki  where i found the other bit about the hall ,i had the census papers and her marriage lines  but am stuck
thank you all so very much for your help x

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 January 13 12:01 GMT (UK) »

Hi

1841 census HO107 1261 Bk2 folio 3
Kingsthorpe Hall Pickering Yorkshire
Thomas Fothergill 50 Ind. born in county

Regards

Valda

In 1841, Henry Airey occupied Kingthorpe Hall.

This should show you what I mean :

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 January 13 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth gave her place of birth as Bury St.Edmunds, this is where her mother said she was born on 1851 census, but she classed it as Barton Mills which is in Bury St.Edmunds.

Samuel the brother goes on to be a Railway Guard, which does not seem in keeping with his sister's station in latter life?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tjtree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 January 13 21:42 GMT (UK) »
i,d like to appply for the will of jessie harcourt  /ashton  but dont have a current address of hers she died 1932 at the langham hotel i have her in the 1901 census as kensington   on the probate calender it says jessie of kingthorpe picking  do i put that  on the form

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 January 13 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just noticed the form is slightly out of date

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/pa01s-eng.pdf

Using the calendar entry, the minimum information for a copy of the will is the name in full of the person whos will you require, the date of death, the date probate was granted, the issuing registry and whether the type of grant is a will or administration.

Putting in the address only helps where the names are frequently occuring ie John Smith.

So the application should contain a request for the Grant & Will (doesn't cost anymore,  £6 not £4) and the following information

Jessie Ashton
Died 17 May 1932
Probate London
16 June 1932

You don't need to put in a range of dates as you don't need a search doing, you have the calendar entry and know a will exists.

Hope this helps

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline tjtree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 January 13 23:32 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much dawn

Offline Nigel Hodges

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
I thought this may be of interest to those with Colonel Thomas Fothergill in their tree. I recently came across a copy of Aminta Di Torquato Tasso from 1800 and inside is a lovely note to his friend Carlo Mac Donnell. I wonder if this was during his days in Malta? Anyhow, for those interested I have attached a picture from inside which curiously shows that Kingsthorpe was spelt Kingsthorp in or after 1800....The writing roughly says "A pledge to my dear friend"