Author Topic: Thomas Radbourne Waters  (Read 6770 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rathbourne Waters
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 12 May 12 08:53 BST (UK) »

*  Any idea where the name RATHBOURNE or RADBOURNE, comes from ?

.... not that I doubt that Thomas Rathbourne /Radbourne or Raeburn are the same chap.   :D

Maybe there's been a transcription error in a record, somewhere along the way ?

The IGI has this submitted entry.

Thomas Radborn WATERS
Christening:   1 April 1838, Northampton, ENG
Parents:  Joseph and Sophia

[Radborn / Raeburn  ... well, they've both got six letters ? ]  ;D

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 May 12 09:38 BST (UK) »
In 1871 Thomas' two daughters from his first marriage in England are with their grandmother Sophia WATERS in Kilsby. It would appear they both stayed in England.

Familysearch has Thomas Radborn WATERS chr 1 Apr 1838 at Kilsby, s/o Joseph & Sophia

Familysearch also has a Joseph WALTERS marriage to Sophia RADBONE, 30 Dec 1830, Barby, Northampton, which was Sophia's birthplace in 1871.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 May 12 10:35 BST (UK) »
Mmm ...  RADBONE (Sophia) is interesting, Ian.

Wonder who registered the births of the children ?
Two in NZ, 1889 & 1891 have father "T ... Raeburn"
... as does the birth reg. in AUS (1894). 

:-\

~  Lu 

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 12 May 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thomas had a brother Joseph, born 1847, with him and his parents in 1851. His birth is registered as Joseph Radbone WATERS, Dec qtr 1846. In a later census he is Joseph R.

There is a marriage Jun qtr 1874, St George Hanover Square of a Joseph Radbourn WATERS to a Caroline SCHOLLENBERGER. His second marriage I think, first was 1867 to Annie CROOKE.

Joseph R was also a wheelwright.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Radbourne Waters
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 May 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
WOW! This is amazing.

Thank you so much to all of you for your help.

I had not researched this line before and because I have a 30 day trial with Ancestry I started looking at the NZ connection and couldn't find anything.

Just looked up the marriage of Joseph ( Thomas's father) on familysearch and found he was married to Sophie Radbone. I realise now that I must have mis-spelt Thomas's second name and it should be Radbourne as one of his sons from his first marriage was given that as his second name.

I'm in the process of following up all the leads you have given me.

Thanks again,

Poirot
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline MaryanneR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is really interesting.  These are my ancestors in NZ.  Annie was my great-grandmother.  I know she had three daughters - Ivy, Dorothea and Mabel.  Mabel was my grandmother.  Mabel married James Caesar Gooch from Takaka, NZ and lived there.  Sadly she passed away from breast cancer at the age of 44.  I am from the Gooch descendants.  My Dad's name was Edward Raeburn Gooch (known as Rae).  My Dad lived with Annie (then Hyde, as she married for a second time and he was a widower with a grown family), Ivy and Dorothea in Wellington as he went to secondary school at St Patricks College, Wellington, after Mabel passed away.  Annie's maiden name was Frank and they were one of the first German families to arrive in NZ in 1843 on the ship St Pauli.  Apparently Jacob Frank (snr) was the first person to develop a vineyard in the Nelson area.  I did not know anything about Annie's first husband so that has filled in some gaps for me and the reason for my Dad's name. 

Offline T Connor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 01 March 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I work for the BNZ Heritage team (Bank of New Zealand). Both Ivy and Dorothea Waters worked for the BNZ. We have employment records which we would be happy to share with you. Ivy Walters was in fact our first female employee. I would like to get in contact the relatives of Ivy Walters, I understand that she did not marry. Who would be the best person to contact? Please visit the BNZ Heritage website bnzheritage.co.nz. From there you can contact me directly using the 'contact' us page. we also have a story which mentions Ivy Waters, go to archive stories 'keeping the doors open' to view. Many thanks, T Connor.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 01 March 18 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Welcome T.Connor   :)

I do hope you get a response from the relatives of Ivy and Dorothea Waters.   ;)

I had no idea of the existence of the BNZ Heritage site ... but from my sneek peek, it looks fascinating.    I'll be going back to it for a more in-depth look.
I'm especially loving BNZ's art collection ... wonderful !!!

~  Lu

Offline MaryanneR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 02 March 18 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Welcome T.Connor   :)

I do hope you get a response from the relatives of Ivy and Dorothea Waters.   ;)

I had no idea of the existence of the BNZ Heritage site ... but from my sneek peek, it looks fascinating.    I'll be going back to it for a more in-depth look.
I'm especially loving BNZ's art collection ... wonderful !!!

~  Lu

Yes, I have been in touch with T Connor and she has sent me the service records and also told me they are about to launch a Scholarship/Grant in Ivy's name. Wow and so awesome! :)