Author Topic: Martin HOGAN born 1762 Tipperary & sons Malachi, William & John  (Read 2549 times)

Offline ausnic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin HOGAN born 1762 Tipperary & sons Malachi, William & John
« on: Saturday 12 May 12 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am looking for more information from Ireland about Martin HOGAN born 1762 Tipperary & his sons Malachi b 1810, William b 1814 & John b 1816. All were convicted of manslaughter at the Tipperary Spring Assizes 8 March 1836, received life sentences and transported to Sydney Australia on vessel "Captain Cook (3)" in 1836. According to records in Australia, when Martin Hogan was transported in 1836, he was married (to Ann) and had one son & two daughters left behind in Ireland.  Can anyone help with the Assize records or maybe Irish newspaper searches to find out exactly what their crime was? Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks Nicola
:)NEW INFORMATION  I have found English/Irish newspaper reports about Tipperary Assizes 1855 where Stephen Hogan (alias Michael Darcy) & Winifred Cahill were found 20 years later in Manchester. They were charged with murder of Michael Bryan, a bailiff, in Sept 1835 in Borrisokane. Previously, for this crime, 4 people were found guilty of manslaughter in Spring Assizes 1836.  One newspaper mentions "brothers" so I think I might have the correct connection (even though there were many trials for murder in 1836 Spring Assizes.) :D  I think I have solved my puzzle.  Thanks

Offline gemmaecrowley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin HOGAN born 1762 Tipperary & sons Malachi, William & John
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 16 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have recently started tracing my family tree and have come across the same Hogan family after they were transported to Australia.  My 3rd great-grandfather was William Hogan, making Martin my 4th great-grandfather. 
According to William's death certificate, his mother's name was Ann Kennedy.  It sounds like you have found some newspaper reports - do you have any from Irish newspapers? I have an article from March 1836 (The Clonmel Herald) regarding the trial of Martin Hogan and three of his sons (John, William, Malachi) for the manslaughter of their neighbour Michael Brien.  The article mentions the name Winny CAHILL and also 'Winny HOGAN or CAHILL' as a witness to the crime.  It also mentions Rody KENNEDY, I'm wondering if he is a relation through Ann Kennedy?
I realise this post if a few years old, it would be great if we could swap and share some info :)

Thanks! Gemma