Author Topic: BOERS - ROYAL ARTILLERY - LOVELESS  (Read 2690 times)

Offline JSAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BOERS - ROYAL ARTILLERY - LOVELESS
« on: Sunday 13 May 12 10:55 BST (UK) »
I'm still quite new to this but wondered if this might be of interest to anyone, or if anyone might have further information.
This man is my gg grandfather William Loveless born 1856, with proven links to Tolpuddle Martyrs James Hammett and George & James Loveless.
William left Tolpuddle with his brother James in 1876, and William eventually ended up in Durham, probably sometime in 1881 after his first wife (Annie) died.
This picture has been dated early to mid 1880's and I am informed the uniform is likely to be Royal Artillery private.
I have some very old valentine and other cards the family always said had been sent back from 'the Boers'. The valentines were apparently sent from William to his second wife, or wife to be at the time, Mary Moreland (my gg grandmother).
Is it possible he was involved in the Boer Wars?
His children with Mary were born 1886, 1888, 1893, and 1895 if this helps with timing.
Any information about his likely military involvement would be appreciated.
Best wishes
Tolpuddle Martyrs
Loveless
Hammett
Martin
HMS Warspite WW1

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BOERS - ROYAL ARTILLERY - LOVELESS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
Cant see any  W Loveless listed on medal rolls for South Africa but there is a J Loveless listed with the Royal Field Artillery.
Maybe best to check pre WW1 Service records on Find My Past

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline JSAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking for me, much appreciated. I will do as you suggest and thanks for the tip.
I wonder could he have served in the Royal Artillery but not been involved in any wars?
Might he have been conscripted at some point, or volunteered?
Forgive my ignorance but military matters are a mystery to me.
Best wishes
Tolpuddle Martyrs
Loveless
Hammett
Martin
HMS Warspite WW1

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
They were volunteers at that period conscription didnt come in until 1916.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline JSAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 12 19:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ady
That is interesting. One of this gentleman's (William's) sons, a James Loveless, died in WW1 on HMS Warspite. He was a stoker (number 5900S) and died in the Battle of Jutland 31st May 1916. He joined up in January 1915 so also must have volunteered. I attach a picture of him which I presume was taken before he left home - presumably with his mother. William's nephew and so cousin to his son James, also called James, died in WW1 in 1915. All so tragic.
Regards
Jean
Tolpuddle Martyrs
Loveless
Hammett
Martin
HMS Warspite WW1

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 14:54 BST (UK) »
hi jean
just looked in FindMyPast service/pension records and he,s not in those there is a william job loveless born 1880 from crewkerne dorset so possibly might be a relative ?, also checked boer war.com and no mention of a w loveless there either .
as to the battle of jutland i had a great uncle killed that day on hms defence John Went age 21 he was my grandmothers younger brother .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline JSAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 19:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Trevor for looking into that for me; that was very kind.
I can now only assume William 'joined up' but wasn't involved in any conflicts.
The other William you found from Dorset may well be related; the way they used the same names over and over is quite a nightmare at times when researching!
So your John Went was similar to my James Loveless (my great grandmothers baby brother). They both died so young, and I'm just beginning to realise how many were lost. Obviously the quoted numbers are huge, but the number of people I'm now coming across whose ancestors died brings it home. Another William Loveless, cousin to James also died in WW1, but not at Jutland.
Have you found info about James Went's war grave? I'm so impressed with the certificates you can print from the web. Just wish it had been possible when my great grandmother was alive.
Very best wishes and thank you once again
Jean
Tolpuddle Martyrs
Loveless
Hammett
Martin
HMS Warspite WW1

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 10:25 BST (UK) »
hello jean
no i,ve not found the anything other than the usual mentions on cwgc site and reading up on the so called battle , but as you say the enormous loss of life has always been overshadowed by the trench warfare so these poor lads are not so readily remembered , god bless em all .
regards
trevor
pps always a pleasure to help  ;)
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Mike Loveless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 April 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hello..I was researching boer war service medals I just inherited using my last name and it brought me to this site..My fathers name was james and his father was named William and he was born in England,he had a brother named george..is there a link?