Author Topic: The Seekers/Quakers Thms.Robertson/ ROBINSON,Ambrose Rigge,WILLIAM PENN 1600s.  (Read 5024 times)

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,
I'm looking for a bit of helpful knowledge on early ROBINSON families please?
In 1655, THOMAS ROBINSON of Westmorland arrived in Lewes, Sussex. I beleive my family may originate from him or one of his brothers. He was one of the first 'Publishers of Truth' and was involved with The Seekers, who then devoloped into the Quaker movement. William Penn seems to have been a friend of George Fox and Thomas Robinson. George Fox (possibly also from Westmorland) was in Chichester in 1655.
I should like to know something of Thomas's family, if anyone has any information please?
Kind regards
Jill (Sussex)

+++++++++++++++

Since posting this ealier today, I have discovered that Ambrose Rigge and Thomas Robertson arrived together from Westmorland, to Chichester 1655. This leads me to believe that 'my' Thomas, may have actually been ROBERTSON rather than the name he used in Lewes, ROBINSON.

Amrose Rigge was born 1635 in Bampton. He left home at the age of about 20, in order to follow and support George Fox. He married a Mary Luxford and she had a child by him, whilst he was serving 7-10 years in Horsham (Sussex) gaol. For his Quaker activities.

The Thomas Robinson I have found in Lewes, was a Felt Maker (Hats etc), with a shop in the town. From the documents I have read,  he seems to have been very heavily involved with the Quaker Movement. Also arriving in Lewes in 1655. Does anyone know if this could be the same chap? 

Jill

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Hi Jill
Westmorland abounds in references to quakers and quakerism. Can I suggest that Swarthmoor Hall, which was part of Lancashire in the 17th Century but is now part of Cumbria, would be a good start-off point.  They have a very good library and, I believe, facilities for limited research.  They can be found at:
http://www.quaker.org.uk/swarthmoor-hall/
This ancient manor house is generally ackowledged to be the "Cradle of Quakerism".
Have you contacted the Quaker Historical Society?  So much has been published about Westmorland Quakers and their travels, it would be impossible to list it here.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for that link, it does seem to contain lots of hopeful information.
My latest finding , is that Thomas (Felt Maker) Robinson was actually born in 1638 and died 20 Mar 1723, in Lewes. The IGI has a possible birth in Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, with a father Richard.
I'm now hoping to tie these Robinson lines together.
I will contact the Quaker Society too.

Jill

Offline Emma Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Seekers/Quakers Thms.Robertson/ ROBINSON,Ambrose Rigge,WILLIAM PENN 1600s.
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 April 16 19:38 BST (UK) »
This is very interesting, thanks Clearly. I have a Mary Robinson b.1811 from Westmorland. I've been trying to find possible parents for her and I've noticed a few quaker references surrounding this name from that area.
Bowering-Lympsham
Shewring/Hale-Corston
Lewis-Stanton Upon Arrow
Adams-Abergavenny
Brookman-Bristol
Hughes-Gwnnws
Bonnor-Gwnnws
Millward-Pen Tyrch
Roberts-Llancynfelyn
Morgan-Llantrisant
Hodgson-Westmorland
Thomas-Pontypridd
Kingwell/Dymond-Devon

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Seekers/Quakers Thms.Robertson/ ROBINSON,Ambrose Rigge,WILLIAM PENN 1600s.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 April 16 21:03 BST (UK) »
Constancy in the Truth commended; being a true account of the Life, Suffrage and collected Testimonies, of that faithful elder, and ancient minister of Jesus Christ, Ambrose Rigg who departed this life the 31st of the 11th month 1704
Author Ambrose Rigg, published 1710

Ambrose Rigge and his "fellow traveller Thomas Robertson of Westmorland" went south, journeying as follows
London -> Gravesend -> Rochester -> Dover -> Foulston -> Hyde -> Lydd -> Staplehurst ->

here they separated and

" ... Tho Robertson passed before me through the County of Sussex, only I heard of him  accidentally near Chichester .... and I passed into the City..."

Ambrose then visits Bristol and moves on to Exeter where he finds Thomas Robertson (in prison). After he's freed they progress to Bristol -> Reading -> Basingstoke -> Southampton and

" ... there T.R. left me and went to Portsmouth"

This was in 1655.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 April 16 21:14 BST (UK) »
Referring to his fellow traveller Thomas Robertson of Westmorland, Ambrose describes him as "...willing to leave his dear wife and tender babes ..."

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 April 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
To clarify the Chichester reference - after the pair separated, Ambrose called in a house near Chichester for a drink of water only to find Thomas had passed through 2 or 3 days earlier. Ambrose then went into Chichester "the City".

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 April 16 21:56 BST (UK) »
Piety promoted, in a collection of dying sayings of many of the people called Quakers. With some memorials of their virtuous lives
Author John Field,published 1754

"Ruth, wife of Thomas Willan, of Sedberg,in the County of York, and daughter of Thomas Robertson, of Grayrig, in the County Westmorland was educated in the Way of Truth, as professed by the people called Quakers .... She was aged 45 years and 6 days"

The piece is not dated.