Author Topic: Children of James Edward Callister (b. 1861 Patrick)  (Read 10748 times)

Offline Robert39

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children of James Edward Callister (b. 1861 Patrick)
« on: Sunday 13 May 12 19:42 BST (UK) »
James Edward Callister married Emma Eliza Quayle in 1904 in Patrick.  They had 2 children in Kirk German, 2 children in Jurby and then I believe 3 children in Lezayre.  I know one of the Lezayre children was a John Thomas Callister (1917) but I am not certain of the other two - I think they were Janet Georgina (1912) & James Edward (1913).  Can anyone verify this for me?  If It's not correct can we find out if any other children were born to James Edward Callister with mothers maiden name as Quayle?  Many thanks

Offline Anne Callister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Children of James Edward Callister (b. 1861 Patrick)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 12 23:25 BST (UK) »
I believe that you are referring to my grandfather, James Edward Callister, and my grandmother, Emma Quayle!

My father's name was John Thomas Callister (Jackie) born in Andreas, Isle of Man, 1916. He was the youngest child of James and Emma. My father passed away in 1985. I am in the process of obtaining his official service record but in the meantime the records I hold show that he enlisted at Liverpool on 25/9/39 for the duration. He served with Unit No. 467 Motor Boat Coy R.A.S.C. engaged in Combined Operations. Other entries refer to HMS Quebec, Barge Engineer Group B Class II, Classified driver H?(CI). At some point he successfully completed Commando training and may have been posted to No 1 Commando. He had crossed rifles on his sleeve that showed he was a sniper.

My father had 9 siblings - 2 brothers (Tommy who was adopted-family name was Maddrell, Edward)  and 7 sisters (Ivy, Constance, Mamie, Georgina, Katie, Aida...unfortunately, I cannot locate the name of his 7th sister).  My uncle Tommy (deceased) is the father of John "Dog" Callister, who is a current well-known resident of the Isle of Man.

If anyone can provide me with more details about my Manx family history, it would be most appreciated! :)

Elizabeth Anne Callister

Offline Robert39

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Sorry for the delay in responding but have been busy constructing another family tree.  I believe you will be Elizabeth Anne Callister born 22 Jan 1949 in Irvine, Ayrshire.  I am presently compiling/researching the family tree of a friend called Joy Dawson.  Joy's mother was Constance Mary Callister born 1936 and she was your father's daughter by his first marriage to Nancy Tonkin - I guess that Joy therefore would be your 'step neice'.  I think that Joy has met your sister Jacquie in Canada.
Now, to your father's siblings - according to my research so far I have the following -
1. Catherine (Katie) Ann Quayle - born 1901 (before the marriage)
2. Emily Eileen Callister - born 1905
3. Mamie Agnes Callister - born 1908
4. Constance Miriam Callister - born 1910
5. Janet Georgina Callister - born 1912
6. James Edward Callister - born 1913

This info I have mainly gleaned from the IOM Census records - I have no trace of either Ada/Aida or Ivy - have you any year of birth/death or any other evidence.  I have compiled a Callister family tree back to 1661 which I am quite happy to share with you providing Joy agrees - please let me know if you are interested, I can be contacted directly on '(*)'

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline QuayleUS-Manx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 December 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello CallieAnne,
I may have some info about your grandmother: Emma Eliza Quayle b:19 Dec 1881 Marown IOM, d:abt 1979 Onchan IOM, that I have cobbled together from other people's trees and IOM census data.
Here is what I may know:

Her father: John James Quayle b:abt Feb 1844 Patrick, d:27 Oct 1907 Douglas, married 12 Dec 1863 Lonan to Isabella Moore b:abt 1844 Bride or Maughold, d:Jan 1882 Marown from complications from birth of daughter Emma Eliza Quayle. Little Emma was sent to live with her aunt Catherine M Quayle b:7 Dec 1852 Lonan.
Emma's brothers (from John James' first marriage [Isabella Moore]:
William Henry Q b:1867 Lonan, d:1937 Iowa USA (my ancestor) :)
John James Q b:1869 Lonan, d:1885 Marown? (he was a mine worker)
Thomas Albert Q b:1871 Lonan, d:1941 Michigan USA
Robert Benjamin Q b:1874 Marown, d: 1928 Michigan USA

Her father's 2nd marriage 1889 Braddan to Ann Jane Looney b:1849 Braddan, d: 28 Nov 1907 Douglas, produced 3 children:
Eleanor Ann Q b:1890 Douglas, d:1950 Michigan USA
John James Q b:1891 (Douglas?)
Catherine Jane Q b:1893, d:1992 Douglas (age 99)

I am interested in knowing more of what you know about Emma Eliza Q.
Do we know who is the father of her daughter Catherine Ann? b:13 Dec 1900 Peel and whom did Catherine marry?

Emma's daughters Ada Isabella Callister and Ivy May Callister don't show up on the 1911 census, so I think they did not survive childhood.

Offline Anne Callister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 December 12 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for not replying sooner! Thank you for this information, and I would appreciate any further Callister family details, if Joy Dawson (my half-niece) agrees! Joy's mother, Constance Mary, was my half sister, who was married to Herbert Dawson. I have no information regarding my grandmother Emma Eliza, other than the fact that her husband, James Edward Callister, was considerably older that she was. My father John Thomas, continued to correspond with his sisters Ivy and Mamie, after he came to Canada in 1951, so I know for sure that Ivy did not die as a child. Perhaps her birth was registered under a different first name? My Dad always referred to her as Ivy however.
My sister Jacqueline and I know almost nothing about our Dad's Manx family, so any details would be most appreciated. I have recently connected with the wife of my father's nephew, David. David is the son of my father's sister Constance, who I understand passed away in 1978.
Cheers! :)

Offline Anne Callister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, I had previously replied to your research regarding my father's family (Callister) but since then, I have changed my home email address. I believe that you were researching for my step-niece, Joy Dawson. I have not been on the RootsChat site for a while, so if there are any updates, I would be pleased to learn any details. Thank you!

Elizabeth Anne Callister

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne, was CalllieAnne your old profile ?

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anne Callister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
Yes, CallieAnne was my old profile. If I had just been able to edit my old email address, I would have kept my original profile. However, as I didn't see that option, I created a new profile.  :)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 June 15 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Member can edit their own email details so long as they know what their password is.

I will merge your two profiles  ;)

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk