Author Topic: McDonnell's of Moorehall  (Read 10733 times)

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
McDonnell's of Moorehall
« on: Monday 14 May 12 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hello:

My wife's family the McDonnell's supposedly have some affiliation with Moorehall in Mayo.

http://www.moorehall.com/historyhall.htm

From what I read, Mr. Moore bought the land to build this home from a Farragh Mc Donnell in the 18th century. Supposedly my wife's McDonnell's derive from this man and her great grandfather Alexander McDonnell even had Moorehall put on his tombstone. I can't find any direct link to this man as they have Alexander McDonnell's going back about 5 generations which should take them back to the 18th century.

I'm not sure what they could have been paid for the land since this Alexander was a farmer.

They also believe they originally were given this land as a gift from some British royalty.

Is anyone on here familiar with this story or related to this line?

Thank you

Offline Cathal56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDonnell's of Moorehall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 August 15 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I am a descendent of this family as my mother is a McDonnell, and I'm familiar with the stories about them. I don't know how old your message is but feel free to get in touch if you wish to.
Regards,
Cathal

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I am a descendent of this family as my mother is a McDonnell, and I'm familiar with the stories about them. I don't know how old your message is but feel free to get in touch if you wish to.
Regards,
Cathal

Thanks so much. Are you in Ireland? Ill take a look at what I have. This is actually my wife's family... Does any of what I've written above ring true?

Offline Cathal56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
My mother has done a lot of the geneaology on her family, the McDonnells of Moorehall ... You're right that the Moores bought land from the McDonnells, and I think my mother showed me a copy of the Deed concerning that transaction. You see the McDonnells were gallowglas, i.e. mercenary (professional) soldiers to the Burkes, and as far as I'm aware, they were awarded land after helping an English captain to take Shrule Castle in what is now in Co. Mayo. However, I'll get the accurate story from my mother, or ask her to write to you instead as I'm rather hazy on it. However, the Irish writer, George Moore, according to my mother is writing about the McDonnells in his short story, "The Wedding Gown" in his collection, "The Untilled Field" although he changes the surname to O'Dwyer ... your wife might like to read it. Our family are now living in Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland but her grandfather, Alexander McDonnell had emigrated to England in the late 19th century. Subsequently, her father Francis Alexander McDonnell returned to Ireland just before WWII, and we're here ever since.
What is your wife's name and who were her father and grandfather ... Was there a John Joe McDonnell by any chance because he lived in New York, and my aunt, Nora (nee McDonnell) visited him there in the 1960s, and wrote down a family tree that he had memorized. We keep returning to that family tree. Do keep in touch.
Cathal

Offline WerriBeau

• RootsChat Extra
  • McDonald/McDonnell from Co Mayo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 15 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread, but the McDonnell's from Mayo and move to Bolton beg me to ask. I am trying to find links to my ancestors from Co Mayo. I have a G2 Grandfather, Michael McDonnell (McDonald) who moved from Mayo to Bolton some time after 1840 (his birth) and 1866 when he married an Ann Dootson. His fathers name was Patrick, and was also from Mayo. Not sure if he cane to Bolton or not, but maybe a link? If this seems to have any common ground, please let me know. I still have quite a few relatives in the Lancs/Manchester area. Looking to link back to Ireland and then even Scotland?
Andrew
McDonald, McDonnell, McDaniel

Offline EibhlinCaitrín

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
My mother has done a lot of the geneaology on her family, the McDonnells of Moorehall ... You're right that the Moores bought land from the McDonnells, and I think my mother showed me a copy of the Deed concerning that transaction. You see the McDonnells were gallowglas, i.e. mercenary (professional) soldiers to the Burkes, and as far as I'm aware, they were awarded land after helping an English captain to take Shrule Castle in what is now in Co. Mayo. However, I'll get the accurate story from my mother, or ask her to write to you instead as I'm rather hazy on it. However, the Irish writer, George Moore, according to my mother is writing about the McDonnells in his short story, "The Wedding Gown" in his collection, "The Untilled Field" although he changes the surname to O'Dwyer ... your wife might like to read it. Our family are now living in Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland but her grandfather, Alexander McDonnell had emigrated to England in the late 19th century. Subsequently, her father Francis Alexander McDonnell returned to Ireland just before WWII, and we're here ever since.
What is your wife's name and who were her father and grandfather ... Was there a John Joe McDonnell by any chance because he lived in New York, and my aunt, Nora (nee McDonnell) visited him there in the 1960s, and wrote down a family tree that he had memorized. We keep returning to that family tree. Do keep in touch.
Cathal
Hi Cathal,
This is all incredibly interesting to me!  I'm also a descendent of the McDonnells of Moore Hall.  My grandmother was Delia (Brigid) and her parents were Alexander and Mary McDonnell.  Her brother John Joe was my mom's uncle.  My grandmother, her sisters Nora, Agnes and John Joe all lived in Brooklyn, NY but there were a lot more siblings.  I remember May coming to visit in maybe the 1980's(?) and she lived in England.  My grandmother told us about growing up at Moore Hall; they lived in the front house and had the run of the land before the big house was burned.  It was amazing to me to find the maps of Moore Hall in it's prime and see her descriptions were spot on.  I've found a headstone online for Alexander and Mary that matches the picture of the headstone that my grandmother had of her parents burial site, so I know it's the same one, but there's mention of an Eddie on the monument.  Does that make any sense to you?  My mother said she knows that there was a James that passed away as an infant when my grandmother was school age, but no recollection of Eddie.  Thanks! 

I can't wait to tell my mom that we're descendants of mercenaries.   ;D           

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 15 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Cathal
Hi Cathal,
This is all incredibly interesting to me!  I'm also a descendent of the McDonnells of Moore Hall.  My grandmother was Delia (Brigid) and her parents were Alexander and Mary McDonnell.  Her brother John Joe was my mom's uncle.  My grandmother, her sisters Nora, Agnes and John Joe all lived in Brooklyn, NY but there were a lot more siblings.  I remember May coming to visit in maybe the 1980's(?) and she lived in England.  My grandmother told us about growing up at Moore Hall; they lived in the front house and had the run of the land before the big house was burned.  It was amazing to me to find the maps of Moore Hall in it's prime and see her descriptions were spot on.  I've found a headstone online for Alexander and Mary that matches the picture of the headstone that my grandmother had of her parents burial site, so I know it's the same one, but there's mention of an Eddie on the monument.  Does that make any sense to you?  My mother said she knows that there was a James that passed away as an infant when my grandmother was school age, but no recollection of Eddie.  Thanks! 

I can't wait to tell my mom that we're descendants of mercenaries.   ;D           
Hi who is this Brooklyn relative? Your mother must know Eileen (Flanagan) Shea I assume? THANKS

Offline EibhlinCaitrín

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 15 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely!  I'm Maureen Judge's daughter, Eileen.  :D 

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 15 22:25 GMT (UK) »