Author Topic: McDonnell's of Moorehall  (Read 10800 times)

Offline EibhlinCaitrín

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDonnell's of Moorehall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Blimey - such a small world, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised given that the post is very specific to our family!  :) Very nice to meet you and please pass along my regards to your family!  From what my grandmother told us, her grandfather and father (and apparently their fathers going back for generations) "ran the place" and had their home on the property, so that's why it's written on the headstone.  My nana always referred to home as Moorehall.  I met two cousins who grew up in that house when I was in Ireland about 15 years ago... their brother Al, whom I didn't have the opportunity to meet, is still leading the charge to have Moore Hall restored.  I hope to get back sometime soon to see it - I couldn't find it when I was there. 

Offline probo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I came across this thread and thought you may be able to help me. My direct Ancestor, Anthony McDonnell was born in Headford, Co. Galway in about 1775.  He joined the British Army and died at Radipool in 1812. Headford is just over the border from Co Mayo and Shrule Castle which was given to a Farragh McDonnell as a thanks for his services in the taking of the Castle in 1570.  He immediately sold it to William de Burgo (Burke). The interesting thing about Anthony is that he named his first son Joseph Farragh McDonnell and the name persisted in the family for 3 generations. If any of this rings any bells with any McDonnell descendants I would love to hear from you.
Regards

Paul Robinson

Offline duffyfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
I can't help you as I am not back that far however do you have any other information on Anthony's father? 
McDonnell Mayo
Duffy         Longford
Kelly          Roscommon
Coffee        Manchester
O'Connor   Dublin/ USA/Canada/Australia
Carthy       Drogheda
Mc Carthy  Dublin

Offline Bob McDonnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
My great great grandparents Alexander (Alick) and Mary Cannon McDonnell resided at Moorehall.  I have a letter dated Dec 21st, 1910 sent from Alick to his son Henry (Harry) McDonnell my great grandfather with the return address of Moorehall, Ballyglass Co Mayo.  I'm assuming we are distant cousins.  I also have a picture of who I believe is Alick in front of a bungalow.  We are planning on a pilgrimage this summer to Moorehall to learn more about our heritage.  Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.   

Offline duffyfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob and welcome to the family, we would love to see the letter.  I have you great grandfather date of birth as 29 Sept 1864. Henry's brother Francis is  Cathal and my great grandfather. If your coming to Ireland we would love to meet up with you and talk family trees. We are just outside Dublin. My mum  (Francis' granddaughter) would also be delighted to meet with you too. You need to post twice then you can pm me and we can see if we can make arrangements to meet up. Cathal has put up some of the family history above.
McDonnell Mayo
Duffy         Longford
Kelly          Roscommon
Coffee        Manchester
Carthy       Drogheda
Mc Carthy  Dublin

Offline Bob McDonnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
That is correct, Henry's birthday was Sept. 29th 1864.  I would be more than happy to share a copy of the letter.  Once we pm we can work out the logistics of sending a copy of the letter.

Offline duffyfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
That would be lovely,I work pm you with my details
McDonnell Mayo
Duffy         Longford
Kelly          Roscommon
Coffee        Manchester
Carthy       Drogheda
Mc Carthy  Dublin

Offline duffyfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 April 18 23:49 BST (UK) »
McDonnell Mayo
Duffy         Longford
Kelly          Roscommon
Coffee        Manchester
Carthy       Drogheda
Mc Carthy  Dublin

Offline duffyfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
Alexander McDonnell   M       ? Kilkeil

Alexander McDonnell - M - Elizabeth Fitzgerald

John Joe McDonnell       Alexander  McDonnell - M - Mary Lavelle
  (possible search DOB 1799)                        Died 1852

Their Children
Edward Peter,   Elizabeth, Henry,  James,  Jane,  Joe,  Kathleen, Alick McDonnell - M - Mary Cannon                                                                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                         (Married about 1857
                                                                                                                as per 1911 Census)
                                                                     DOB About 1835

Alick McDonnell and Mary Cannons Children
Francis           Henry             Seamus or James    John         Patrick    Alexander       Mary                     
1861 – 1933  1864 - 1948     1865 -  1939          1866 -     1870 -     1871 - 1954    1876 -         

And we all come from one of these if you can fill gaps on any of the above dates that would be
great.  I have the parish record for the Baptism of all Alick and Marys Children and this sometimes can be before the birth on official records, Children had to be registered by a certain period after the birth and it was not always possible to do so within the time frame because registry offices are not in local towns. it was done when they went into town and to avoid a fine the birthday was moved to within the registry period.   

McDonnell Mayo
Duffy         Longford
Kelly          Roscommon
Coffee        Manchester
Carthy       Drogheda
Mc Carthy  Dublin