Author Topic: Tracing grave for Isabella McKillop Laggan  (Read 5595 times)

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing grave for Isabella McKillop Laggan
« on: Tuesday 15 May 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could help me to discover where my gt.gt grandmother Isabella McKillop (m.s. Mackay) is buried? Her family were from the Newtonmore, Strone, Kingussie area and her father Duncan Mackay, mother Lilias Campbell, brother Andrew Mackay and family are all buried in the same grave in Banchor Cemetery. Andrew was the last to be placed there and he died in 1888. Isabella married late in life to a shepherd Donald McKillop a widower and she lived at Catlodge, Laggan and died "at Croft" in 1890.  (Donald outlived her too dying in 1902 at the age of 95). Donald's first wife died in 1876 and I wondered if Isabella (also known as Bella) might be buried in the same grave (possibly Laggan Church Graveyard?) or would it have been likely that she was put with her 'blood' family in those days and if she was the last, then nothing was engraved on the headstone?  I have tried the burial records office at Inverness but they tell me they have no record of McKillops buried in Laggan.
Macdonalds / Mackay around Kingussie / Newtonmore /Laggan area.
Grant around Abernethy

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing grave for Isabella McKillop Laggan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 December 12 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

Long time since this was posted so don't know if you've made progress on Isabella. Anyway, do you know when she was born? This might help - I've had a look at the records for Old Laggan and New Laggan and some of the other churchyards in the area but no McKillops buried in any of them - or at least no memorials recorded. Might the crofting records give some indication of exactly where Donald was crofting?

gordon
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 December 12 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Gordon. Isabella was born in 1829 - not sure of the exact date but I think it was January and at Strone, Newtonmore. She is there on the 1841 census aged 12 at Newtonmore with her father Duncan and two brothers - Andrew & William. The 1851 census records she is still at Strone in the Cattanach household as 'sister-in-law'.  I lose her then - although she is possibly in Tulloch, Kilmonivaig in 1861 as there is an Isabella McKay recorded there as a kitchen maid on the census that year.  However- the age is out by about seven years. (I know this is not unusual - so was her marriage certificate!). I cannot locate her on the 1871 census but she  married on 6th July 1880 to a widower Donald McKillop at Catlodge. The 1881 census records Isabella McKillop at Catlodge as 'Head' and 'Housekeeper' and strangely Donald does not appear on this record.  Could he have been away doing his shepherding duties that night?  Quite likely I guess as it would be the lambing season?? Isabella (known as Bella by now) died at "Croft Parish of Laggan" on Aug 5th 1890. When Donald died on Nov 30th 1902 the place was recorded as "Croft, Laggan" so I can only imagine he lived there all his life. Many thanks for your interest - I'd be delighted to hear if you discover anything else.  Meanwhile - Happy New Year! Audrey.
Grant around Abernethy

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 December 12 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Audrey

I've found a reference to a Donald McKillop living on his own at Croft Cottage, Laggan in the 1901 census. He was aged about 91 at that time - less than you give for death age a year later but still possible? Catlodge looks pretty bleak, looking on googlemaps and the streetview, it is to the North of General Wade's military road, it looks as though there might be the foundations of a house but the resolution isn't good enough to tell. Croft cottage is listed as a historical monument - a 19th century croft - on the Canmore website. Croft cottage is west of Laggan, there's a white house beside the main road with the older croft building slightly further on.

There are two McKillops buried in Banchor Cemetery, according to www.deceasedonline.com, its free to search but then £1.50 (ish) per stone that you want to look at.

My uncle married a McKillop from the Western Isles, that seems to be the original stronghold of the name so I'll keep digging, my brick walls just keep getting thicker, its nice to have something to do!!

All the best for the New Year

Gordon
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Just when you think the brick wall has finally closed for good - you get a positive lead like this Gordon.  I can't thank you enough! I had not heard of the 'deceased online' site and I have checked it out. However, the McKillops there are not Isabella or Donald. They are for Johanna McRae w/o James McKillop and Henrietta Hay also w/o another McKillop (I think another James) just in case you or anyone else finds it of interest.
The Canmore site is the one that has 'blown my socks off' because I can now see photos of the actual dwelling place that my gt. gt grandmother lived in around 1880 - 1890 and therefore where she died . I can see what you mean by the white building close by and I must now try to locate it and visit if I can when I am next in the area. I'm so pleased it has been protected as an 'historical building'.
So..... Banchor Graveyard is ruled out plus Laggan too as I have made enquiries and had no luck there. As I don't know the area well I am unsure if there is another possible site.  I might try to see if there are records for Donald's grave when he died in 1902 because he had already lost his first wife in 1876 and therefore he might have had a family plot? Worth looking at anyway!
Thank you again for your help & good luck in your own search.
Grant around Abernethy

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 13:40 GMT (UK) »
It occurred to me this morning that,  if they could afford proper burials and monuments, then they may well have published an obituary in the local papers. So, I've contacted the Strathspey and Badenoch Herald and am awaiting a reply. I've got a directory of 19th century Scottish papers somewhere so I'll see which ones published in the Laggan/Newtonmore area and contact them as well. The archives may have been moved to Inverness or (possibly) be on Am Baile although I don't know if they go as far South as Newtonmore.

All the best!

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant!  Thank you so much.
Grant around Abernethy

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I think I've sent you a PM as I now have Isabella's certification of death and will send you details if you don't already have them. Of course, i may not have, I don't send PMs very often!!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 January 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
There were McKillop's from Roybridge, one of whom lived at Shesgnan, Laggan and was married to a Ross, shepherd there. She was an RC and is possibly in the old graveyard at Aberarder or at Kilchoirille here further west in Glen Spean.      http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonbowen/223160078/

Skoosh.