Author Topic: Tracing grave for Isabella McKillop Laggan  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing grave for Isabella McKillop Laggan
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 January 13 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Skoosh - many thanks for your reply.  I have visited Roybridge & Chille Choirill while searching for the Macdonald side of my family - a wonderful tranquil spot. I think though that 'my' Isabella will likely be have been laid to rest around the Newtonmore, Laggan area as she was born there and died there too. Circumstances meant she did not travel far from there plus her parents (Mackays) and siblings are there too (in Banchor).   She married and became 'McKillop' quite late in life and she had no children by him. I imagine it was a 'convenient' marriage - he needed a housekeeper after his first wife died - she needed a home. I would like to find out where Donald McKillop was buried after his death in 1902. Perhaps he had her (Isabella) buried in the same graveyard as his first wife?
Macdonalds / Mackay around Kingussie / Newtonmore /Laggan area.
Grant around Abernethy

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 January 13 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Audrey, the Laggan kirkyard must be the place. There is a book called "Laggan's Legacy" which has a wee history of the houses in the parish, it's in the website,    http://www.laggan.com/
 the Laggan Heritage Society also might help or the MacPherson Museum in Newtonmore.

Some of their stuff here,   http://www.clan-macpherson.org/museum/documents/alang02.pdf

Skoosh.

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 18:55 BST (UK) »
I have a death cert for my Margaret Kennedy in Crathie ,Laggan in 1869. On it there's a Donald McKillop,shepherd ,he's mentioned in the death of Anne McKillop in 1869 illegitimate daughter of Donald and Cathrine McDonald .Address was Strathmarkie just west of Laggan. Prob no use but eyes  lit up  when saw Donald McKillop and Laggan as I went to Crathie ,Laggan on Sunday to see old ruined village at the Spey Dam .Raymie.
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
If these MacKillops were Catholic a possible burial place was the old roofless parish church at Aberarder at the head of Loch Laggan beyond Strathmashie, rather than Laggan kirkyard.

Skoosh.