Author Topic: Wedlock family in Co.Cavan  (Read 11048 times)

Offline bingo5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wedlock family in Co.Cavan
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 August 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
For many years there was a Peggy Wedlock was a nursing sister in Cavan Surgical Hospital.  I was a patient there in the 1960's and and she was there for some time afterwards.If you go to irishnewspaper archives.com The Anglo Celt local newspaper is digitised. Some libraries have free access to the site.

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 September 12 23:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry I've been gone a while.Thanks for all the help,several avenues to research, thanks to everyone.I'm on it.

Offline arterdoak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Have you any solid information to base your research on?I Ask because I have recently begun researching my family and am related to Wedlocks from Skeagh co cavan by a marriage in the early 1900s but wont know how closely untill I CAN IDENTIFY THE CHILDREN OF THAT MARRIAGE IF ANY.

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 December 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I have census from 1851 (Scottish) showing the family were born in Ireland, not where though. I have been paying FindMyPast Ire. and Scotlands People for Wedlocks also Roots Ireland and Irish Times, and chat rooms (Various) taking nothing for granted. Deceasedonline has been a great help also. Skeagh has come up several times. My direct Wedlocks left towards the end of the famine of the 1840s, but I am confident that other members of the family remained in Ireland. Christian names are same.T here was also a branch in Co.Kilkenny. As the name is not a common one, there must be a connection for us.

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arterdoak, The Wedlocks in Skeagh, Drumamuck Glebe, Co.Cavan are, I think probably cousins to my Wedlocks. I have the 1901 and 1911 census for the following family that I think you are refering to. THOMAS 44 MARGARET 42, JW 21 EZABELLA 17 THOMAS 12 MAGGIE 10  MARTHA J 8 ETHEL 7 DAVID 5 JAMES 3 SAMUEL 3 JOSEPH 7MONTHS. The twins James and Samuel emigrated to the States c1924. The 1911 census shows Martha to be an imbecile, the addition of SOPHIA 9 and a WILLIAM LYTTLE 85 uncle. JW

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I must have entered accidently.  I was saying, JW emigrated to the USA between these census, EZABELLA, THOMAS and MAGGIE are elsewhere. while these folk are not my direct family, the surname as well as most of the Christian names lead me to believe that they are all connected. Not proven, but well worth the search for a common ancestor who will link them all up. I just thought of another search, will get back to you, meantime would love to hear from you again.

Offline arterdoak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 January 13 02:47 GMT (UK) »
  hello irishseeker..try this, the person i am seeking is isabella wedlock (a common aberration) who is of the correct age and born in cavan, and whom i already believed to be your ezabella was married in belfast in 1916, named her daughter ethel, and ethel named her first son david and her third son samuel. [nothing confirmed but based on what i know] rsvp and thankyou

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 January 13 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like the right one for sure. Do you have a spouse name for Ezabella, I am trying to find the root, kind of, of the family. I am sure that if I could find the father of Thomas's Grandfather who was born in c1820, then I will be happy, well for a wee while. Onwards and Backwards. How's that for Irish? Every little bit helps, and for that I thank you.

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 June 13 06:14 BST (UK) »
arterdoak, how is everything happening.I am now in contact with the Co.Cavan Wedlocks,in particular Tommy.Makes a change from Thomas I guess.Although he did tell me that there were 5 Thomas Wedlocks' at a burial.So with some luck we should get a connection somewhere.
Still haven't heard a thing from CoKilkenny though.Surely someone must know someone