Author Topic: Who was Charles Boileau watch and clockmaker?  (Read 8101 times)

Offline HALE39

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Charles Boileau watch and clockmaker?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 11:02 GMT (UK) »
jonlewis

Have a look at reply 4 above by "Jorose" that looks like your Charles more than mine.

Cheers

Offline stevebo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 October 16 15:28 BST (UK) »
HALE39

I am also a direct descendant of Charles Boileau, via his son Frederick (1842-1905).

I have been trying to find Charles’ parents for a number of years but have only just stumbled upon this forum thread. Have you got any further with identifying Charles’ parents?

In 1837, when his first son was born, Charles gives his occupation as “Jeweller and Engine Turner” on the birth certificate. However in 1839 he gives his occupation as “Tobacconist” on another son’s birth certificate!!!

He was living in Clerkenwell which was the watchmaking centre at that time so possibly changed direction from Jeweller to Watch Case Engine Turning as the watchmaking industry started to rapidly expand at this time.

Frederick moved from Liverpool to Coventry between 1861 and 1865. His brother, Eugene, followed him sometime between 1868 & 1870. I am interested in what evidence you have that Charles moved to Coventry.

I have records showing Charles living in London up until 30 Sep 1843 (Son Eugene’s birth) and then Liverpool from 21 Oct 1845 (Eugene’s baptism). I had always assumed that Charles moved from London to Liverpool and only made the occasional visit to Coventry.

Regards,
stevebo

Offline HALE39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 October 16 12:55 BST (UK) »
G'day stevebo
Charles Boileau B 1812/14 France
The Scarlet Pimpernel keeps on hiding!!
What I know is about the same as you, he was a " Rose Engine Engraver " look up the video series for this machine it's bloody brilliant but requires a hell of a lot of concentration probably caused his stroke in the end, there are two versions the Vertical and Horizontal Rose Engine lathe.enough of that for now, I live in Australia now so popping over to France is a bit time consuming and how the store their records is very complex. I am rapidly learning some Genealogy French though.
What I don't know is when Charles arrived in England and with whom?
Did he train in London it is possible but I have not found any records or relatives other than his children. he had 2 sons named Charles Richard both died sadly, the last son Richard survived so here I am.
I now think he was trained in the Department area of France Paris 75 or nearby in the watch and clock industries making watch and clock metal cases and engraving them with the complex patterns,
There was a clock maker [Horoleger] who may have been a relative who he may have trained under but his son was a master carpenter,  'Boileau a' Paris" on clock faces they had some very elaborate enameled and jewelled pocket watches plug the name into the net,\.
We do not know Charles's Parents names or where he was born, this is the big stumbling block, I am currently trawling through hundreds of Charles B's he may even have had other given names but it wasn't Ame'dee b 13 Feb 1815 Paris he was in France long after Charles left,
I lost contact with the Coventry Boileau's Elizabeth and Peter. he was in Hospital administration.
Sarah, Charles Wife's Father was a Sheet metal maker so it could be were they met in the first place
if he served time in France he was about 24 years old when he married basically a Journeyman just out of his trade training, I have not found his indentures in France either but they did exist,
He could have got his Jewelry skills from the above mentioned Horoleger.
My gran Adelaide said that the the French ladies that came over with their husbands to England before 1914 every year came from Piccardy, wine and pork merchants the Red / Auburn  hair is a give away for Normandy in general but not proof.
So to progress we have to Know his parents names, where he was born, any siblings, did the family even survive The Great war Normandy was flattened then  and later in ww2

Talk later
Hale 39

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 October 16 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Jon,

1851 census 13 Crammer? Road Lambeth Surrey

Eugene Boileau 36 Artist engraver born Paris
Sarah 35 born Essex
Eugenie C 6 Middlesex
Adele A 11 months Surrey
Julia Goldham 19 Servant Essex

Adele Antoinette born 13 April 1850
Emilie Josephine born Sept qtr 1851Lambeth

Emily Josephine Boileau spinster born 6th July1851 London parents Eugene Boileau born France and mother Sarah Crane born England buried 20/4/1935 Akron Ohio USA

Adele Anoinette married Evan Thomas Gentleman from Breconshire Wales in Islington London looks like they went to America as well but he seems to have added a hyphenated Moore on to his name?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HALE39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 October 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
Jennifer
Have you any details of your Eugene Boileau's parents names, and his siblings if any and exactly where in Paris they lived.

My Charles Boileau who married Sarah Ann Thompson in 1836 may be related, ages are close
but at this time I have not heard of any siblings in England or France.
see posting above this one for more details.

Talk later
Hale 39

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 October 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Hale I am not related, just trying to help.

Jennifer

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 October 16 19:41 BST (UK) »
30/5/1839 West Ham Essex marriage Eugene Boileau and Sarah Crane.

This certificate would give you his fathers name and occupation.

Jennifer

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 October 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
Grove road Mile End Old Town 1841 census

Eugene Boileau 29 artist born Foreign
Sarah 29 not in the county
Ann Stevens 22 female servant born in the county

Jennifer

Offline jonlewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 October 16 02:48 BST (UK) »
Eugene Boileau and his father were both head engravers at Colsons Foundry in Chiswell Street London and also at The Bank of England. Eugene's daughter Eugenie Catherine Boileau married John David Mayer (Count Rossi) the 2nd great nephew of Count Pellegrino Rossi who was assasinated at the Vatican in 1848. John and Eugenie came to Adelaide South Australia aboard the ship ""City of Adelaide in 1878""
I am yrt to discover Eugene's fathers name but have put out feelers with some Authors and publishers of historical printing books to seek that info.
Jon Lewis
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/47771834?searchTerm=boileau&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||l-advstate=South+Australia|||dateTo|||notWords|||anyWords|||dateFrom|||requestHandler|||sortby=dateAsc|||l-category=Article