Author Topic: Isle of Man, Caesar (Cesar?) CAIN, Born c1845/47  (Read 12445 times)

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of Man, Caesar (Cesar?) CAIN, Born c1845/47
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 May 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
No I am not certain......it is a case of trying to establish a link.

His theft of an umbrella, which tied him into the the two earlier crimes, was reported by "The Isle of Man Times and General Advertiser" published on 06/11/1880 and establishes his credentials as being the ex-Parkhurst Prison inmate.

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been trying to rationalise all the information people have kindly provided, including input from California which does add a new dimension as to his marriage.  However, IGI (the old version) has just thrown a spanner in the works contradicting details I had accepted for his birth and parentage:

Caesar CAIN:
Birth: 16 Fen 1845, Cronk Y Vodder, Isle of Man
Burial: 08 Oct 1867
Parents:   William CAIN and Ann CHRISTIAN.

Earlier Reference HO107, Piece 2523, Folio 156, Page 23 was offered as a possibility to fit Cesar CAIN, but  "Burial 08 Oct 1867" rather denies that suggestion unless Willian CAIN and Ann CHRISTIAN were not unique as a couple and there were others.

The Cesar CAIN I am researching was alive in 1867, probably still in Dartmoor Prison, and indeed further re-offended in 1880........and, now, I need to find new parents!!!

For the moment,

BAC3

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
Cronk-y-Voddy is 7km from Peel, and lies on the TT circuit.

I don't think someone born Cronk-y-Voddy would put Peel down as their place of birth - at least not in a Manx census?! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
you have I think confused the Caesar Cain s/o Jon Cain + Eleanor KINNEY / KENNA / KENNISH they farmed at Money(Moaney) Voar(mooar) which is just down the road from Cronk-y-voddy - Caesar was 8 in 51 and 18 in 61 census all on the farm.  The burial in German indicates age 25 bur 28 Oct 1867 which fits - so back to planA as the Peel born Caesar is not found in 61

Caesar is quite a common Manx name

ETA believe nothing that is linked to an entry on the IGI - usually if not total invention then a misreading/misinterpretation of data - likewise for any patron submitted item on the old IGI especially if had the red flag 'about' near any date
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline GolfingGod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 March 15 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've also got Caesar Cain as a distant relative in my tree and have the following information for him:
Parents: William James Cain & Ann Christian
Born: c 1845 in Peel, Isle of Man
The 1851 census has him living in Shore Road, Peel with his parents and siblings Catherine (16), Elizabeth (13) & John (11).
I haven't located him on the 1861 census but in 1871 he is living at 7 Queen Street, Peel and is a Shoemaker living with his mum who is now a widow.
In the 1881 he shows up in the census aboard the 'Roving Swan', which is a fishing vessel in Peel.  He still has his occupation though as a shoemaker!
I then have looked him up on Scotlandspeople and he gets married on 8th September in Aberdeen to Johan(na) Gordon and they then can be found in Wick where they have five Children. They are:
Cesar b. 1882 d. 1892
George b. 1886
Elizabeth A. b 1886
Catherine Banks b. 1889
Jessie b. 1892

By 1901, his wife is showing as the Head of the household and when Jessie gets married in 1920 he is stated as deceased but I have been unable to find a burial as yet.

I'd be very interested to learn whatever you have picked up about him to with his misdemeanours.

Hope that's of some help.
Peter

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 March 15 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter,

I have sent you a PM confirming my email address.......possibly you will respond and I can then send you my narrative for Cesar CAIN.

Tony