Author Topic: Mealy (O'Malley/O'Mealy) of Doonass, Newtown & Killaloe  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Cassie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mealy (O'Malley/O'Mealy) of Doonass, Newtown & Killaloe
« on: Friday 18 May 12 07:58 BST (UK) »
Am seeking any help finding information on my ancestors and any living descendants of Michael Mealy (O'Malley/O'Mealy) who married Mary Fleming c. 1840's.  They may have resided in Newtown or Doonass.  Civil parish of Kiltenanlea, RC diocese of Clonlara.  At least 3 of their children, Ellen b. 1847, Margaret b. 1854 and Michael b. 1863 were born in Killaloe.

Where can I start to search for information/parish records on this family?  RC church in Killaloe?  Michael came to Australia in 1883.

Just joined rootschat so am seeking knowledge from those more experienced than I.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)
Guilfoyle  - Co Tipperary Ireland, Barron - Co Tipperary Ireland, Fielder  - Middlesex UK Australia and new Zealand, McEvey - Co mayo ireland and Australia, McMenamin  - Co Donegal Ireland and Australia

Offline MartinDavies

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Mealy (O'Malley/O'Mealy) of Doonass, Newtown & Killaloe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cassie,

I'm Martin and Ellen O'Malley (b. Killaloe, ~1846) was my 3rd Great Grandmother. Ellen moved to Australia and settled in Ballarat (Victoria).

I'm not sure if you're still active on here ... hope to hear from you, an Aunt has compiled a family history with good detail if you're interested :)

cheers
Martin

Offline Vaheyfinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 May 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I'm interested in Ellen O'Malley as she is the elder sister of my  Great Grandfather Michael O'Malley.  Ellen & Michael are 2 of the 6 children of Michael O'Malley (Snr) & Mary Fleming. Any information on extended family would be so welcome.  Cheers Elizabeth from Australia,

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 May 15 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Cassie1, Martin and Vaheyfinder,
I searched by the parents names Meally and Fleming, I found only one record, a William Meally born to Michael Meally and Mary Fleming, this was the 6th May 1845. (so this may be the 4th child out of the 6 that are mentioned)
This was in the Parish of Monsea, the address is Killaun.

Monsea is just north of Nenagh, the county town of County Tipperary. This is the Diocese of Killaloe.
Killaloe is in County Clare and this town is at the bottom of Lough Derg, opposite the town of Ballina. Killaloe Diocese covers Clare, Tipperary and Limerick (other parts are included)
I have checked Griffiths Valuation for Michael Meal(l)y in Tipperary. in 1852 in a town land called Garraunfadda, MONSEA,  he was paying tax/rent on land.
The I checked for Michael Meal(l)y in Clare. in 1855 he was paying his tax/rent in the town land called Knockyclova, SCARRIFF.
It seems to me that he was moving around for work.
I know the area of Monsea, it was where my Grandmother was from, I was born Nenagh.
If you find Lough Derg, then Scarriff, go across the lough and you come to Dromineer. Many boats ferried people from place to place.
Marriage records, I did check and couldn't find any. It was in 1864 that Civil records were introduced in Ireland.
In 1901 there were Mother and daughters, Margaret Mealy, 80 and 34 still living in Monsea. In 1911 they were gone. This address was Shannon Hall. This is a town land.
So I looked then at the marriages between 1901 and 1911, Margaret married in 1901 in the November to a Patrick Kane, in Carrig Church. It said that they were both from Shannon Hall and were servants. Her father was Edward Mealy, he was the sponsor on the birth record for the William, I found in 1845.
So there you go, Killaloe is the Diocese, so have a look at the area and places names, they didn't travel far in those days.
Let me know if this has helped.
Maggsie

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 May 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Just had a look in another site.
Ann Mealy married John Hosey in 1911 in Boston USA.
Her parents were Michael Mealy and Mary Fleming.
He was also born in Ireland 1859 and gave his parents names as James Hosey and Maria Farely.
I went back and checked him, he was from County Longford, town land called Derryneel in Granard.
We used to got there every year to a Bluegrass festival.
He had a brother James and another Patrick, they were still there in the same house in 1911.
Bye for now
Maggsie

Offline Cassie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 June 15 03:31 BST (UK) »
Thks Martin, 'Vaheyfinder' and Maggsie for your responses.  Have had a break from this family line for a little while. 
Yes, I can confirm all your info Martin and Maggsie, as this is also what my research has discovered. The only connection I cant place is the Margaret living in Shannon Hall.  Her father Edward Mealy may well be connected, but I have no information on that line. 
Maggsie are you living in Ireland?
Martin - can you please call me again, as I've lost your number.  I could probably get it through Ellen, but it would take some time.  Cheers. 
Guilfoyle  - Co Tipperary Ireland, Barron - Co Tipperary Ireland, Fielder  - Middlesex UK Australia and new Zealand, McEvey - Co mayo ireland and Australia, McMenamin  - Co Donegal Ireland and Australia