Author Topic: A "How To" for familysearch.org  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
A "How To" for familysearch.org
« on: Friday 18 May 12 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I find it all confusing - when trying to avoid the 'member submitted' and get to IGIs, I think I have it sorted... but passengers and now the digitized probates from ChCh and Wgtn - total dunce.

Any one care to scatter some white pebbles for me?

And Scatter they did!  So if you, like me, need a hand check out the following tips
  ;D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Would some kind soul post a "How To" for Family Search?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 May 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
The I.G.I. = International Genealogical Index is only a small part of the LDS site.

Are you trying to find only the New Zealand records?

If you scroll down this page you can sort by geographical locations-
https://www.familysearch.org/

Click on 'Australia and New Zealand' and you get this page-
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&region=AUSTRALIA_NEW_ZEALAND

Select 'New Zealand' and 2 databases are shown-
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927083
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 12 10:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks!

I knew there was stuff to find, but was daunted at hunting for them!

;D

Maybe this could be posted in resources - in case there are any others like me...

;)
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 May 12 10:58 BST (UK) »
Yup, I can do that for you. 8)

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 May 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you kind Sir  ;)

Maybe we should add the IGI part too - to save poor souls the trip up the path by 'member submitted' files  :)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 May 12 11:02 BST (UK) »

and now the digitized probates from ChCh and Wgtn - total dunce.

Then that makes two of us with our dunces hats on KG ;D :P

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 May 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
There's room on the bench in the corner  ;)

I was doing some volunteer work at Archives on digitising probates and found out some probat stuff was already online from Wgtn and Chch - but it is not indexed yet.  I knew someone on here would be able to point me in the right direction. 

And on the IGI note - the new site has a different layout to the last time I used it - when IGI was seperate... *sigh*

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 May 12 11:13 BST (UK) »

And on the IGI note - the new site has a different layout to the last time I used it - when IGI was seperate... *sigh*

Think that is still there ..... on the new page site half way down, there should be a box that says "Go to Previous site"

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk