Author Topic: Ledwith - Keenan families  (Read 18358 times)

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ledwith - Keenan families
« on: Friday 18 May 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else working on the Ledwith and Keenan families?

I "think" my great-great grandmother (Ellen Ledwith) was the daughter of Patrick Ledwith of Cylgeen and Bridget Keenan (?).....

Ellen was born on 1865 aprox and married Peter Kane at the Legan RC church in 1885.

Thanks!!

Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Ledwith - Keenan families
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 May 12 13:46 BST (UK) »
I "think" my great-great grandmother (Ellen Ledwith) was the daughter of Patrick Ledwith of Cylgeen and Bridget Keenan (?).....

Ellen was born on 1865 aprox and married Peter Kane at the Legan RC church in 1885.

do you have this marriage cert ?
it could confirm father's name & occupation and also Ellen's residence at the time..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
it's a good idea to mention previous topics on the same family, for reference and to save duplicated research.

link to previous thread with some details of this marriage :

Re: Keane family of Henfield, Rathaspick 
    (Co. Westmeath)
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 May 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
just wondering about this being posted in Co. Longford - from the census returns on the other thread it looks like your Ellen/Mary Ellen was born in Co. Westmeath ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 May 12 14:33 BST (UK) »

I see this couple as parents to several children in Co. Longford, so preume that's why they are on your list of 'possibles'.

Problem is, there are other Ledwith families with a father of the correct name that might be nearer to the location of your Ledwiths in Co. Westmeath.

The first couple are Patrick Ledwith​ & Margaret O'Neill in Ballynacarrigy district, Co. Westmeath, also a Patrick Ledwith and wife Catherine Conlon in Glassan district Co. Westmeath... It's also worth noting that these extracted records on FamilySearch are not complete, so there could be other births in Westmeath with a Patrick Ledwith as the father not listed in these.

Your Ellen was born very close to the start of civil records, so it's possible that she was not registered - or was born just before they started, in which case you would need to check for church records for a baptism.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Yes I do have the marriage certificate. It lists that Ellen Ledwith was the daughter of Patrick Ledwith (farmer) of Clygeen. She married Peter Kane on 27 April 1885 at the RC chapel of Legan in the Registrarīs District of Abbeyshrule.

I do not know who her mother is.

I was hunting around on internet and found a couple of baptisms at the Legan chapel for children of a Patrick Ledwith and Bridget Keenan in the late 1860īs.... then in the 1901 census there was a Peter Ledwith living with his widowed mother Bridget at Cleygeen, which I suppose is Clygeen.

I posted this on the Longford site because it looks like this family was in Longford, but then Ellen married my GG-grandfather and moved to Westmeath.

I hope I have been able to clear this up a bit?
Keane (Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
but doesn't Ellen/Mary Ellen state she was born in Co. Westmeath on the 1901  census return ?

I would keep those other Ledwith families based on Co. Westmeath with father also listed as Patrick in mind.. until a birth or baptism shows up.

Yes I do have the marriage certificate. It lists that Ellen Ledwith was the daughter of Patrick Ledwith (farmer) of Clygeen.

The locations given on marriage certs are the current residences for the bride and groom - may not be the where their families are living, or where the came from originally.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 12 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Yes she was listed in the 1901 census as being born in Westmeath... I thought that as sometimes not all the info is correct (like someone aging 15 years from one census to another) maybe Ellen was born in Longford...
Oh well, I will keep the Westmeath option open and look into the famlies you mention too.

It just seemed possible that someone living in Clygeen and married in Legan would have family in that area - wouldnt someone marry in the church where their parents lived?

Thanks!!
Keane (Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 May 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
marriages generally took place in the parish the bride was currently living in at the time, not necessarily the parish they were born or baptized in - but definitely worth following up other Lewith records in that parish to see if they fit Ellen's family.

Shane
My Surname Interests