Author Topic: Ledwith - Keenan families  (Read 18371 times)

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ledwith - Keenan families
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 May 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
Shane - I was looking for this but cant find it.....

Can you tell me what info would be listed on the death certificates? If the parents name is on it, then I think I will have to order Ellenīs death certificate.
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 May 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
unfortunately not much detail on death certs - see :  Details included on a Death Cert

What are the witness names on the marriage cert... any other Ledwiths that might be siblings or relations ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 May 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
Nope - no other Ledwiths.... there is a Bernard Cormick and a Maria Keenan. As there were a few baptisms at the Legan church between Patrick Ledwith and a Bridget Keenan, and then a Keenan on the marriage certificate I thought I might be headed in the right direction.
Keane (Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 May 12 12:07 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if your Ellen/Mary Ellen might have been born just before the start of civil records... 

The locations dont quite add up add the moment, I need to track down Henfield in relation to Legan and the other locations.

I think I would suspect the Patrick Ledwith / Margaret O'Neill couple as possible parents. Two of their children are listed as registered in Ballynacarrigy district (Westmeath) in 1865 and 1867. No solid evidence for this theory other than the eldest child of Peter and Mary Ellen also being named Maggie...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 May 12 12:11 BST (UK) »
When I looked up Henfield, Rathaspick and Legan on maps they all looked like they were not very far apart... if I remember correctly I think it was about 8 km from Henfield to Legan...

And I did see the two births you mention( for a James and an Eliza)... I think you might be right. In the 1911 Ellis Island manifest my G-grandfather & his siblings listed a James Ledwith of Edgeworthstown as their closest living relative, but in the 1911 census the James Ledwith I found was 21...
Keane (Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 May 12 12:36 BST (UK) »
found them - even though they are in two different counties, all the locations are quite close. If you drove the 10km from Rathowen, Co. Westmeath (the nearest major town to Henfield) to Legan church you would pass through, or  very close, to both Henfield and Clygeen townlands.

Henfield townland was in the Ballynacarrigy subdistrict, and part of Mullingar registration district. Not only is the area very close to the Longford / Westmeath border, it's also close to the boundaries of three registration districts - Ballymahon, Mullingar & Granard.

The old Co. Longford RC parish which Legan was part of, might have extended into parts of Co. Westmeath.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 May 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
Ok, great. I will keep the 3 Registarīs Districts in mind then....

Thank you so much for all your help Shane!!   :)
Keane (Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 May 12 12:49 BST (UK) »
I had a quick search of the free index on RootsIreland (pay-website), but didn't see any likely baptisms around the right time with father's name Patrick for Ellen/Mary Ellen in the Longford / Westmeath border area. It's possible that she was baptized somewhere else, or recorded on a page that has been damaged or lost.

Legan is the name of the RC parish where that church is based, and the parish immediately to the east in Co. Westmeath is 'Rathaspick & Russagh'. Both seem to be included on RootsIreland.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 May 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
Well I will keep hunting for Ellen in Longford and in Westmeath then!

Hopefully some other people looking for Ledwith family ties will come my way  ::)

Keane (Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)