Author Topic: de Ste Croix/LeMercier/Le Geyt  (Read 8944 times)

Offline caitlinsmith17

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
de Ste Croix/LeMercier/Le Geyt
« on: Friday 18 May 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
I am looking for more information on my ancestor, William/Guillaume de Ste Croix, who emigrated to Quebec.  By 1802, he was settled in Quebec, married, and had children.  I do not know the exact date or circumstance of his arrival in Canada.  I know that he was Anglican, but converted to Catholicism after he married his wife in Quebec.  On his marriage record, it states that he was a fisherman - it's possible he was employed by a Jersey fishing company and came to Quebec that way.  I would like to know more about his Jersey roots.

According to Nos Origines (http://www.nosorigines.qc.ca/GenealogieQuebec.aspx?pid=270631), he was baptised in 1772 in St Helier, Jersey.  His father was Jean (John) de Ste Croix and his mother was Elisabeth LeMercier.  His godparents were his paternal grandparents: Guillaume (William) de Ste Croix and Marie Le Geyt.  I looked up the Le Geyt family, which appears to have quite a history on Jersey.  However, I was unable to link Marie Le Geyt to any of the limited family trees I've seen online. 

To summarize, I am looking for any information on the de Ste Croix, LeMercier, and Le Geyt families.

Thank you!
Caitlin

I can also be reached at (*).

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: de Ste Croix/LeMercier/Le Geyt
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 May 12 23:46 BST (UK) »
I've bumped into these names at the extreme edges of my reasearch!

I have Rev John le Geyt du Heaume b 1867 in St Mary's Jersey, son of John du Heaume who died in 1870; I don't know who JLG duH's mother was but I'd guess she was a le Geyt!

I've also found D'Auvergne de Ste Croix, master mariner, born in St Helier 1841 who married Emily Howe Hitchins. D'Auvergne was Master of the Wing Sang sailing between India and Singapore at one stage.

I have a very small amount of info on these families - PM me if you'd like more, although I know nothing at all about emigrants to Canada: even D'Auvergne returned to Jersey!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 12 13:16 BST (UK) »
According to the St Helier parish records William de Ste Croix was baptised 13/4/1772. The record has his parents as Jean de Ste Croix and Elizabeth Mersier (slightly different spelling).

His godparents were not his paternal grandparents, they were Guillaume Patriache Snr and Marie Le Geyt his wife. I can understand how someone might have thought that Patriache meant Grandfather but it was actually a surname in it's own right. Some records do give the relationships of the godparents to the child but it would have said 'grandpere' and certainly not Snr.

This is confirmed by looking at the baptisms of Jean and Elizabeth's other children,

11/12/1768 Jean son of Jean son of Jean and Elizabeth Mersier, godparents Jean Perrechon and Elizabeth Perrechon
14/3/1770 Aaron son of Jean son of Jean and EM, godparents Aaron de Ste Croix and Esther Neel, his wife
13/3/1774 Elie son of J de Ste C and EM, godparents Elie Canivet and Marguerite Le Gallais, his wife
1812/1776 Elizabeth daughter of J de Ste C and EM, godparents Jean Pipon and Elizabeth Pipon, his daughter.

So from the baptisms of Jean and Aaron the paternal grandfather was also called Jean.

I only had a brief look but could not find a marriage for Jean de Ste Croix and Elizabeth Mersier but did find one for William Patriache and Marie Le Geyt in St Helier on 1/3/1754.

As you have found there are a lot of de Ste Croix and Le Geyt (although they may no longer be relevant) families in Jersey, I did not see any Mersiers or Le Merciers but can have another look on my next visit to the Archive.

Jersey had strong links with Canada, especially the Gaspé, through the cod trade, try jerripedia, theislandwiki,  for some information about this.

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 February 13 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have a marriage date for Jean de Ste Croix and Elizabeth le Mercier of 15 November 1767 st Helier. Lisa

Offline bfried

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 November 14 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm just getting started researching my ancestor Guillaume Ste Croix from Ile Jersey who went to Gaspe, Quebec.  Can you tell me what has actually been proven about him?  Thank you!!

Offline Guillaume Ste-Croix

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 18 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I'm not sure if you're still here, but I'm a direct descendant of that Guillaume De Ste-Croix who arrived at Gaspé (barachois) from jersey!

Offline The Saint

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 02:13 GMT (UK) »
 My Great- Great- Great grandfather was William De Ste Croix was baptised Perce Quebec Sept 12 1802 which would mean he was 30 years old and  married Marguerite Chicoine also in Perce Oct 31 1802 , They had 3 children baptised in Perce --Jacques 1802, Aubain 1803 and Marie 1805. They moved to Barachois which was just down the road a few miles around this time and had another son James ( who is my Great- Great Grandfather) i am not sure if there were more children as the Barachois church burned and all the old records were lost,  Marguerite Chicoines parents were Aubain Chicoine and Ann David . I had also traced William back to Jersey and figured Jean (John) De Ste Croix and Elizabeth Mercier were most likely his parents ...  one thing that still casts doubts is my parents have a book and William is in it and lists his fathers name as Moyse (Moses) De Ste Croix  i have found only two Williams in Jersey's records and neither fathers name was Moyse although that is a fairly common first name in the De Ste Croix records in Jersey. If anyone has more info i would love to get it. My family line is William- James - Aubin- Alfred- Ralph all born in Barachois except William
 Ralph my dad is now lives in Napanee Ontario as do I ..Larry Ste Croix