Author Topic: Morgan Davies - Tregaron  (Read 4652 times)

Offline gayden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morgan Davies - Tregaron
« on: Friday 18 May 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace the family of my Gt Grandfather Morgan Davies (b 1869/70) who I believe came from the Tregaron area.

I have the following:

Marriage Certificate dated 25/11/1891 which states him as being aged 22 and  a Labourer and living in Tancwarel, Ystrad Meurig.  He married Anne Jones, also 22 living in Terrace Road, Pontrhydfendigaid.  Both father's first names are David and both are miners.  They were married in the Church in Strata Florida.

Sadly, Morgan died at the age of 24 in a colliery accident in Deep Navigation Colliery, Treharris, Glamorgan in September 1894 and he is buried in Strata Florida Cemetery.

The problem is that there are two Morgan Davies' registered in Tregaron, one in 3Q of 1869 and one in 3Q of 1870.

I applied to Lampeter Register Office for a Birth Certificate, but not knowing the mother's name I specified that the father's name must be David.  I received a reply saying that David was not the father's name on either birth.

Now, the major question is how do I find out who is parents are???

Next problem is that he left a wife Ann(e) and a baby son David James Davies (my grandfather) b1893 Trelewis Glamorgan (the next village to the colliery where he was killed), but I cannot trace them.  Did they both return to the Pontrhydgendigaid area where my Gt Grandmother came from?  The next record I have of my Grandfather is when he is married and living again in Treharris, Glamorgan.

Hope I haven't waffled on too long on this but I feel I'm getting nowhere with my search.

Many thanks for your anticipated help.

PS both Morgan Davies are on the 1871 and 1881 Wale Census

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan Davies - Tregaron
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 May 12 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Gayden,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

This could be the baptism record of Morgan Davies -

Long Link Shrinked!

JJ

Sorry, ignore the above as I've managed to find him on 1901 census  ???

Offline gayden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 12 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ

Sorry but he won't be on the 1901 Census as he died in 1894 and was buried in September of that year in Strata Florida.

Looking for the Davies's is a nightmare!

Gayden

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 May 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace the family of my Gt Grandfather Morgan Davies (b 1869/70) who I believe came from the Tregaron area.

Marriage Certificate dated 25/11/1891 which states him as being aged 22 and  a Labourer and living in Tancwarel, Ystrad Meurig.  He married Anne Jones, also 22 living in Terrace Road, Pontrhydfendigaid.  Both father's first names are David and both are miners.  They were married in the Church in Strata Florida.

Now, the major question is how do I find out who is parents are???

PS both Morgan Davies are on the 1871 and 1881 Wale Census

Am I missing something here?  The census returns show his parents' names.  Only one of the Morgan Davies has a David who is a miner listed as father.  His mother is Mary.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 May 12 10:42 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Gayden

And welcome to Rootschat!

If I have found the correct family then it would appear that Morgan has been consistent with his birthdate and birthplace and maybe this his him in 1891 RG12 4562 50 4 ..............

Morgan Davies 21 Gwnnws Cardiganshire General Servant

So just a thought and one that you may have already considered with his birth prior to the Births and Deaths Registration Act of 1874 perhaps he simply wasn't registered - although his parents may have had him baptised so you may find his baptism which in turn would help you to confirm his parents and also tie in the census info you already have for him.

And just to add I think that you may find Anne and your grandfather David James Davies here ...........

1901 RG13 4997 27 12 - Civil Parish Llanfabon - Address Wellington Hotel
Thomas Llewellyn Head mar 46 Lawrenny Pembroke - Publican
Ann wife 34 Pontrhydfendigaid Cardigan
Sarah J daugh 21 Ton Rhondda Glamorgan - Drapery
Rachel A daugh 15 Ton Rhondda - Dressmaker
David J son 7 Trelewis Treharris Glam
Mary Jones servant 22 Pontrhydfendifaid - General Servant Domestic

All the best

Z :)

Offline gayden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
Absolutely brilliant!  Now confirmed that Morgan's mother was Mary and also that my Grandfather David James remained in this area and did not move to Tregaron as I initially thought.  Grandfather was known locally as Dai Llew - it all ties in!  Can't thank you all enough - saved my sanity.

Many many thanks - wished I'd joined this site  earlier.

Offline gayden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
No quite sure if I'm using this site correctly but having such sucess with my previous request, I am now wondering how I can find out if anyone else is buried with my Gt Grandfather, Morgan Davies at Strata Florida Cemetery, other than acutally visiting there.  He was buried there in Sept 1894.

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 August 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
You could ask the helpful staff at Aberystwyth Records Office to look him up in the Monumental Inscriptions.  If there is a stone, it will list the other people buried there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gayden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 August 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.  I will do that.

GAYDEN