Author Topic: General Cemetery, Rothesay Road, Luton - England  (Read 10288 times)

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
General Cemetery, Rothesay Road, Luton - England
« on: Thursday 17 May 12 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, Would anyone be able to let me know if there is a site where I can check to see if there is a headstone on a grave at the General Cemetery, Rothesay Road, Luton, Bedfordshire, England  - I am looking for John Axton who was buried there on 7.12.1889 - there are 5 in the grave altogether (Grave No: 4710) - would appreciate any help, I am in Australia

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: General Cemetery, Rothesay Road, Luton - England
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 12 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

3 options spring to mind

* Rothesay Road Cemetery
   Rothesay Road, Luton, LU1 1QX
   44 (0)1582 727480 ‎

*  Bedfordshire.gov.uk

*  Repost your rquest on the Bedfordshire board of Rootschat
    There is/was at least one Rootschatter who lives near.

*  Search Rootschat for "Rothesay Road Cemetery"
    There is/was at least one Rootschatter who lives near.

*   www.GraveStonePhotos.com may have something

Duh, did I say 3?

Cheers!
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 12 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
Appreciate your reply and many thanks for your help - will try all " 3 " otpions!!!!
Regards,
Jillian   

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
General Cemetery - Rothesay Road, Luton, Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 May 12 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, Would anyone be able to let me know if there is a site where I can check to see if there is a headstone on a grave at the General Cemetery, Rothesay Road, Luton, Bedfordshire, England  - I am looking for John Axton who was buried there on 7.12.1889 - there are 5 in the grave altogether (Grave No: 4710) - would appreciate any help, I am in Australia

Moderator Comment: topics merged (on Bedfodshire board)

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillianstella just read your post regarding Rothesay Road and grave 4710.  Give me a week or so and I will see what I can find out for you.  If there is a headstone I will photograph it and post it here for you.  It's quite a  large cemetery so I will need to do a little research first to establish whereabouts the grave is.
Regards
Marian

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian,
As I am in Australia your offer to photograph the grave for me is absolutely wonderful, even if there is no headstone a photo of the plot would be appreciated just as much, this is the grave of my g.g.grandfather John Axton whom I obviously thought was buried with my g.g.grandmother but I have recently found that the wife he is buried with there is not my g.g.grandmother but his 3rd wife!!!! the other two wives are apparently also buried at the cemetery somewhere.   If I could be so bold and could find where my g.g.grandmother Annie (Harriett) Axton  (nee Cherry) is buried would it be possible for you to take a photo of her grave whilst there.  I think that probably a number of my family may have lived in that area for some time and that there could be a few relatives there.  I can't tell you how grateful I am to you for you extremely kind offer.
Kindest regards,
Jillian

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 12:04 BST (UK) »
That's fine Jillian, I'll do a surname search, I believe there is an index available and will post all the information I find for you.  Hopefully I will be able to access the information on Thursday/Friday and visit the cemetery this weekend. I will  photograph the plot and surrounding area and any headstones available.  I am only too happy to help out as I have been assisted many times over the years by kind people on this great site.  Hope to have news for you soon.
Regards
Marian

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian,
Thank you so much for your help, being in Australia makes it a bit difficult when trying to get photos from cemeteries in England - if however I am able to help anyone with photos from the following cemeteries in Victoria Australia I would be more than happy to do so:  Fawkner, Coburg, Epping and Heidelberg.  I have also been assisted and in return have assisted others in Australia, if we all work together and share where we can it makes it so much easier to trace our ancestors and find out who they were and where they were laid to rest.  I have been amazed by the help from complete strangers on this site, people who are not related to my family in any way, it has been truly amazing and wonderful to have been able to trace my fathers side back to Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire, something I never thought would happen, and most probably would not have happened but for the kindness of strangers like yourself.
Kindest regards,
Jillian

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillian

If you place your (cemeteries) offer on the Austraiian Resources/Offers forum, your kind offer will be more easily found.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,399.0.html

Cheers.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).