Author Topic: General Cemetery, Rothesay Road, Luton - England  (Read 10296 times)

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General Cemetery, Rothesay Road, Luton - England
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
Thanks for the link, I have since posted my offer there and hope that I am able to help someone out there as I have been helped by the wonderful people on this forum.
Regards,
Jillian

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 May 12 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillian

I've had a peep at the records and have sent you a PM with the details.
Marian

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 May 12 22:22 BST (UK) »

PM?

Can we all not share in what was found?

Surely it saves duplicating effort?

?
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 May 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray, I take your point but I wanted to include some 'personal' information which I didn't want posted on the open board!  I don't have any problems with Jillian sharing any of her ancestors information with the board if she wishes.  :)

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 May 12 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillian, you asked about the Luton workhouse.  It's still there and called St Mary's now. Link below which is very interesting and contains a link to the whereabouts of the records

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Luton/#Records

The fifth person in the 4710 grave is

Cain   Henry John   7 weeks     13th Aug 1881.  (another branch of your family tree?)

Regards
Marian

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 May 12 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian,
Many thanks for your help once again with the link to the workhouse, I have emailed them to see if I can obtain John Axton's records, fingers crossed the are available.  Just by reading the link it was a terribly sad place to have been living, I guess better than the streets but sad when you think there are children living in a house, guess I just don't know enough to pass judgement.
You've been wonderful with your help, can't thank you enough - I received John's death cert. yesterday and the informant there is Emma Gain, his daughter, I am thinking there is a spelling error on either the death cert. (Gain) or burial (cain) but am sure the baby in the grave is her child, another part of the puzzle in place thanks to you.
Kindest regards,
Jillian

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 May 12 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillian,

I think it is Cain as there is a record for a marriage in March 1880

AXTON    Emma        Luton    Vol    3b    Page   565 
CAIN    Harry Charles         Luton     Vol     3b     Page  565

www.freebmd.org.uk is an excellent free site for  birth, marriage and death index records for England.  If you click on the page number link  (in this case 565) it shows the other parties who married in the same month/year/district which can be helpful.

Detailed cemetery map has not arrived yet - not holding out much hope of a headstone seeing as John spent his last days in the workhouse - but will photograph what I can when it does.
Regards
Marian

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 May 12 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian,
Yes I agree with Cain rather than Gain - I don't really hold much hope of a headstone on John's grave either but seeing there were others before him you never know, I really hope there is one on Ann'e grave though.  I have been busy this weekend taking photos for others on this site at cemeteries I go to, it's sad when you see how many are buried in unmarked graves but then I guess they may have had some type of wooden marker at one time and it's rotted away with age, never mind people seem to be happy with a photo of the plot and it's surrounds.  Anything you can send me with regard my family would be greatly appreciate Marian but please don't rush, I appreciate the time you are taking with my queries and just whenever you get a chance would be wonderful.
Kindest regards,
Jillian

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 May 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillian,
 Have received map and been and taken photos.  As we expected no headstone I'm afraid but I was able to pinpoint the location by a 'Wren' headstone which was in the adjacent row, it is the large ornate sandy coloured one so that will give you a point to work from.  The Axton plot will be to the right of and 'five grave spaces' back from the pathway.  It is a lovely old cemetery with some really impressive monuments and a lovely central tree walkway (only a few steps from your Axton plot)  and is well looked after; even today there were workmen cutting the grass.   I have taken 14 snaps in all with general views to/from the Axton plot but this  system won't allow me to post even one of them says file too large. (My IT skills are not great so don't know how to get over this)   If you want to PM me your email address I will attempt to email the folder to you.

Regarding Ann Axton's grave I explained in my previous  PM that her death would precede this cemetery and she would ' most probably'  be buried in St Mary's Parish Church Land  You would have to apply direct to St Marys for any information as their records are not in the public domain and to my knowledge they have not published a map of the gravesite locations.  I have previously tried to find a grave there but it was an impossible task as they have let it go really wild and there was no discernable order to the graves.

Regards Marian