Author Topic: Thomas Kelly - India  (Read 12052 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kelly - India
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 10:43 BST (UK) »
In his army reserve papers Thomas mentions a sister Mary at 36 Summer Hill.

There was a Mary Kelly born to Michael and Mary (54th Regiment) on 29 May 1872. baptised at Jullundur India on 23 June 1872
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
Another possible sibling born in India: Michael Kelly baptised at St Patrick's Church Fort William on 16 June 1878. Born 28 May 1878, Father Michael Kelly, 54th regiment.

Offline Casabeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun,

Is there anyway I can find out the Mother's maiden name (Michael's wife) also I can find any death records, since Thomas was in the Hibernian military school it is presumed his mother died do the army keep records of that?  I wonder if any military photos exist - does your source have anything there?

Thanks for you help
Jess
Researching Shiels/McGrane/Kelly/Carroll/Adamson/McGrane family history

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
The 54th went to India at the end of 1871. Before that they were at the Curragh in Co Kildare.  Daughter Mary was born in May 1872 so an educated guess would suggest a marriage in Kildare in 1871, But it's just a guess and there are a lot of Michael Kelly marriages in Kildare around that time.

There is no mother's maiden name on the India baptism records which can be viewed on FindMyPast.

There are no photos on the army files. There is no next of kin detail in Michael Kelly's army file which you can view on FindMyPast: Michael Kelly born 1840 at St Michael (Dublin) number 481 "Dorsetshire Regiment - 39th & 54th Foot"

Offline Casabeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 04 January 16 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Some progress on the Kelly's- Update on Owen Kelly

Thomas Kelly & Mary anne Carroll had 5 children in Total

1. William Owen Kelly abt. 1905 - d. 07/03/1923
2. George Kelly abt. 1909
3. Phyllis Kelly abt. 1914
4. Josephine Kelly 12/03/1916 - d. 21/12/1992
5. James Kelly abt. 1921

The Owen that I thought was the youngest is infact the eldest boy William Owen Kelly and he died on duty when killed by his friend in Parkgate St Military No. 40130, 57th Batt. Collins Bke

The issue I have now is that I thought/presumed that Mary Anne Carroll was born in 1881 however in William's Army Papers she has her dob as 02/05/1882.  Her father is listed as Owen Carroll on her marriage cert and the Mary anne Carroll I had from 1881 also had a father Owen Carroll and mother Eliza Weir.  I can't find birth of Mary anne for 02/05/1882 with a father Owen Carroll. 

It is the first we've heard of James Kelly? If Mary anne was not born in 1881 and Eliza Weir is not Mary's mother then I also can't locate them in the census.  Do I assume that the dob is incorrect in the Army papers?

Thanks,

:-\

Hi,

I have found out that Thomas Kelly who married Mary Anne Carroll had 4 children.  Josephine (1916), Philomena (1913) and two boys Owen and George I don't know years of birth and I can't find anything on them.

Family stories say:- Owen was in the army and died at 16 or 18 yrs when his room mate was cleaning his gun he was shot (full military funeral) - can't find birth or death on him?

George:- Was in Mountjoy and shared a cell with Kevin Barry but was released due to illness (maybe TB and later died) - can't find any information on him either.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jess

Offline Casabeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Update on Thomas Kelly - I have ordered a copy of his marriage parish record and his parents are listed as Michael Kelly & Mother Mary Carroll both deceased on 22 Jan 1905 which was his wedding day.

Would anybody have access to military records for Michael Kelly No.481 or find a marriage record for Michael and Mary Carroll - I presume she must have died pre 1883 as that is when Thomas was in the RHMS in Dublin??