Author Topic: The Large Family from Prescot  (Read 2490 times)

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Large Family from Prescot
« on: Saturday 19 May 12 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Doing some research on the Large family from Prescot ( a weeks wait for the maiden name of the Great Grandfathers's mother before I could research this line, confirmed as Large so excited), managed using the Lancashire Online Parish Clerks to get back to Joshua Large who married Martha Booth 4 May 1731 Prescot but although the records are stated as being on line I can find no baptism of a Joshua Large. There is a Gabriel Large having children baptised in the 1690s but I can not see anything in the 1700s though my next step is a painful scroll line by line to see if anything resembles Joshua (early ones not searchable as with a name index). I would imagine as its Gabriel son of Joshua who is my next ancestor up that it is likely that Joshua was the son of Gabriel but either I can not see for looking the records or he was never baptised, or that years records are in an unreadable state.

Is anyone else researching this line, I have got so far Joshua Large > Gabriel Large >Esther Large>Thomas Large (illeg. 1 of three baptised children of Esther)> Mary Large all born at Prescot. Mary Large married George Taylor in 1871 Lancashire.

Kind Regards

Debs

PS Off I go again to ruin my eye sight  ;D

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: The Large Family from Prescot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 12 16:50 BST (UK) »
Jonathon son of Gabriel,twin of Thomas 6th of October 1689

Joseph 1697,father Gabriel Large
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks

I found these two, from the date of marriage 1730 and death of Joshua 1770 I am guessing he may have been born between 1700-1710.  Thomas and Jonathan appear to be the first registered children to Gabriel they were born 1689 so there is no reason along as Gabriel and wife were not old when married that they could still be having children into the 1710s.

Thanks again

Debs

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Joshua calls his first born son John,
I am in no doubt that Gabriel comes in as a family name
traditional naming patterns,I cant remember which way it goes but someone will explain it I am sure,

John 1732
Mary 1735
Joshua 1737
Daniell 1740
Gabriell 1742
possibly two more if they moved to Eccleston
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline jvy20

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
There is an entry on Genes Reunited for a Joshua Large b 1707 Prescot ??

Tree holder is named as Ruth

John
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 12 18:31 BST (UK) »
I wish I knew where they got the information from ,as I have been through and through,
the only entry for a Large is Margrett burial 1707,of Melling
St Mary the Virgin Prescot,28th of Feb 1706/1707

Offline jvy20

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
There is an entry on Genes Reunited for a Joshua Large b 1707 Prescot ??

Turns out that this entry is a 'best guess' - no proof.

John
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 December 17 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debs

I realise that you have not used this forum in quite a while but I’m hoping that you are still active.

I am descended from an Elizabeth Large (1731-1812) who married John Pownall in 1741 at St Mary the Virgin, Prescot. Her father was Gabriel Large from Prescot (different one to yours).

Her burial shows this on 19 Feb 1812 at St Mary the Virgin, Walton on the Hill states:

Elizabeth Pownall - wid of John Pownall & Daughter of Gabriel Large Died: 16 Feb 1812 Age: 82 Abode: West Derby Cause of Death: Decay of Nature

And John’s shows:

4 Feb 1810 - John Pownall - Son of Ralph Pownall Died: 31 Jan 1810 Age: 88 Abode: West Derby Cause: Decay of Nature

This is my tree which I am sure you will find interesting with the names:

There is another tree on Ancestry that has your line but there has been some guessing going on with this:

I have found three marriages at Prescot for the Large family and I have an instinct that they are all brothers and possibly sons of another Gabriel Large.

Joseph Large married Rachell Winstanley on 9 Feb 1718
Gabriel Large married Esther Haton 20 Dec 1725 (not to be confused with your Gabriel who married Esther Hatton on 30 Dec 1765).
Joshua Large married Martha Booth 4 May 1731

The name Gabriel Large does go back a long way as there is a burial for:

Ales Large wife of Gabrill Large buried 21 May 1667 at St Mary the Virgin, Prescot. This Gabriel could be a grandfather to my Gabriel and your Joshua.

Gail
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 December 17 08:44 GMT (UK) »
My attachments didn't attach where I thought they would
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley