Author Topic: Italian POW Camp PG60  (Read 7657 times)

Offline desjef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Italian POW Camp PG60
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 December 12 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I am not trying to build up my posts so I can send messages, but I assume you have tried to find your dad via Phil Chinnery at NEXTPOW? He provided me with Red Cross confirmation of Kenny's movements in Italy and Germany as the SADF was hopeless.

D

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I went looking for the camp location using Google earth based on the description in a previous posting.
This mentions that the site was next to the railway station at Colle, on the Lucca-Pontadera line. There is no railway line at Colle di Compito now but I believe you can see the route of the track bed which can be traced north to Lucca and south to Pontedera but there was no obvious building which might have been the station.

Following some further searches I came up with a picture of the old railway station at Colle, which still exists, and very usefully the picture included the co-ordinates(Lat/Long) of the subject. I modified these for Google maps and entered them into the browser. This takes you straight to the location so if you copy/paste them in it should it should take you there too.

43°46'43.74"N 10°36'26.01"E

The house with the red A marker is the old station, right on the line of the old rail track.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed that an earlier post has gone missing.

I sent you a PM with email address so hopefully that will arrive OK.

My membership of NEXPOWA has lapsed but I did have a brief exchange with Phil Chinnery. I have my father's military record which mentions PG60 and Stalag XIB Fallingbostel later but nothing else. I haven't explored the NEXPOWA option fully so maybe will get back on to that

Offline Sara Bucciarelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
Dear all,
 I realise this is now quite an old thread, but I would appreciate any help on this topic. I am trying to help out some History researcher in Italy, Dr. Silvia Quintilia Angelini, who collaborates among other with Istituto Storico della Resistenza di Lucca and CDEC (Jewish Documentary Center of Contemporary  History, Milan). She is carrying out some local research in the Province of Lucca, where the Camp PG60 was located. They have by now carried out researches in the archives, and they are now concentrating on gathering extra information regarding the life in the camp through the witnesses.
She would appreciate any sort of help. Particularly she would be interested to see the sketches, desjef is speaking about, but also any other kind of account on the life in the camp.
Thank you in advance for your help,
Sara

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 June 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
Sara

The sketch from desjef was made available to me as a personal obligement on the understanding that it would not be circulated and I respect that request. The sketch is very interesting but I think you would need to approach desjef directly to obtain a copy.

I would be interested to read the results of the research if an english translation exists. I presume the CDEC interest is because of the later use of the site of PG60 as a concentration camp.

Regards

Richard

Offline Sara Bucciarelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 June 14 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,
thank you for your answer. The research is actually a cross research, as the local Contemporary History Society is interested in it as well, and yes Cdec is trying to get a fuller pictures of the use of the camps (transit/interment/concentration) in the area.
I doubt unfortunately there will be an English translation, but I will let you know in case they decide to have one.
regards,
Sara

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 June 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
I'll just have to learn Italian!  ;)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 June 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
PS

If there are any other relevant graphics/photographs of the PG60 site that are free from copyright constraints I'm sure that it would be appreciated by many if they could be posted on this thread.

R

Offline ISRECLucca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Italian POW Camp PG60 ISREC Lucca seeking accounts of POWs
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 July 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Anydogsbody and Desjef
I am helping the Institute of the History of the Resistance at Lucca to collect POW memories of PG 60. Would you be able to share any more details of your relatives' experiences there ?

Thanks