Author Topic: Pomarium, Perth  (Read 13325 times)

Offline Jerik24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pomarium, Perth
« on: Sunday 20 May 12 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help.  I am new to RootsChat so not sure if I am doing this right.  I am currently doing my family tree and a lot of my family were born in Pomarium.  Does anyone have any information they can give me on Pomarium I am from Perth so I know where it was etc, but have been unable to find out what it looked like/what it was like before it was taken down and the flats were put up.  If anyone can help with any information would be such a great help.  My family lived there from about 1870 - 1915.  Thanks Jeri  :)

Offline dixons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pomarium, Perth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have never seen a photograph of Pomarium but the attached etching might be of interest

regards,

dixons

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
We were told that Pomarium (orchard) had been the area opposite the present-day bus station.  Check with the Local History section in the Library.

Isis (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 12 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All

From memory if you stand in the main carpark for the library and look at the hotel in front of you.

To you right is a row of shops and a Chinese restaurant and a carpark this was the pomarium orchard.

I remember collecting pears in the early sixties from here to us kids it didn't matter whether they were hard or soft they were our's and free.

http://maps.nls.uk/atlas/bartholomew/view/?id=1210

If you use the above link zoom in the pomarium orchard was from memory bounded by Pomarium street, Leonard street and Hospital street.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
It may be of little interest, but my 2nd Cousin twice removed, Robina (Henderson) Cuthbert, her husband James and their 4 children lived in 80 Pomarium Street from 1890 until they emigrated to New York State, USA in 1902. Robina and her siblings and parents Andrew and Helen (Marshall) Henderson lived and farmed on Moncrieff Island [the present golf course, I think] and James Cuthbert hailed from Craigie Village, near Blairgowrie.
Cheers,
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help.  I am new to Rootsweb so not sure if I am doing this right.  I am currently doing my family tree and a lot of my family were born in Pomarium.  Does anyone have any information they can give me on Pomarium I am from Perth so I know where it was etc, but have been unable to find out what it looked like/what it was like before it was taken down and the flats were put up.  If anyone can help with any information would be such a great help.  My family lived there from about 1870 - 1915.  Thanks Jeri  :)
Hello,
My great grandfather (James Petrie Duncan) and family were living at 12 Pomarium in the 1911 census. There is a full page photo of Pomarium as it was in the 1930s in the book "Lost Perth" by Jeremy Duncan (no relation as far as I know).

Offline Jerik24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for replying.  All your comments have been very helpful :)

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 12 19:47 BST (UK) »
The 1848 map of Perth shows the arrangement of houses in Pomarium.

Scan down the web-page

http://www.borenich.co.uk/Ross_Document/John%20Douglas%20of%20Domnaheich.html

Throth

Offline Roy Fairweather

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 November 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather John McGregor resided at 83 Pomarium Street before 1903.
My grandmother Helen (Fenton) McGregor passed away at her brother's, John Fenton, 85 Pomarium Street in 1926.