Author Topic: Andrew(s) Family  (Read 3134 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Andrew(s) Family
« on: Sunday 20 May 12 14:42 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for James Andrew, born c1829, son of James and Ann Andrew (nee Cadger).

James died 4th November age 45 at West Calder and as this is the only document I can find so far, I've been basing my search on the parents being correct, but am aware that the informant may have been wrong.

I've found him in 1861 living in Bo'ness, West Lothian age 32, a Furnace Manager married to Jane (Hart) with their 5 children. His birthplace is transcribed as 'Maines', Aberdeenshire.

I can't find a birth on either IGI or SP of a James Andrew with parents James and Ann, neither can I find him either living with/not with his parents in either 1841 or 1851.

I believe his mum, Ann Cadger may have been the daughter of James Cadger & Margaret Walker (listed on IGI as being born/christened in Old Deer 30th January 1806)

I've tried Ancestry transcriptions, freecen and everything else I can think of, but haven't been able to come up with anything definitive.

Any suggestions anyone?

Anne  :)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew(s) Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 12 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne ,

There is a James ANDREY born c1826 with partner Jane in Bo'ness West Lothian in 1851(SP)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY75-TQG

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 12 16:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much ev - here was me thinking I had tried every variant of Andrew I could think of!  :)

I had found his marriage to Jane Hart on the IGI which I forgot to add.

I've had fun and games with this family all round - on Alexander Andrew's 1877 MC (son of James Andrew & Jane Hart) his mother is listed as Jane Brownlie Hempseed who was actually his grandmother (his maternal grandmother) rather than Jane Hart!

Must go and see if I can find any James Andreys in 1841 now!  ::)

Anne

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Another surname to look for............................AUDREY :o

Just found them on the 1851 census disc for West Lothian.

After many variations of Andrew(s) I left out the surname and looked for first name James, 25 years old +/- 3 years in Bo'ness and found the family.

Needle in a haystack comes to mind.

Cheers
Jean

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 12 19:56 BST (UK) »
Audrey! Yet another variant I didn't think of - thank you Jean!!

Found James, Jane and their wee 4 month son James in 1851 transcribed on Ancestry as Andrey thanks to ev's message earlier.

I've now tried both Andrey & Audrey in 1841 but unless I'm not seeing them ...... ?

There's a couple of 'Andrew' possibilites, but typically, none of them are still living with parents (Ann & James).

Anne

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 12 23:06 BST (UK) »
In 1841 it is likely that James would have been working, & maybe living, away from home. Did his death certificate give his father's occupation? Was his mother's name down as Ann Andrew m.s. Cadger? Can you tell me why you think she may have been the daughter of James & Margaret  (nee Walker) Cadger?  Were there any family members at the baptisms of James & Jane's children? Sorry for so many questions!
Have you viewed the original censuses on scotlandspeople? I looked up the 1861 census as I don't know of a place in Aberdeenshire called Maines. Having seen it, I think it reads Slaines - which should be spelled Slains.As the 1851 census gives his place of birth as shire, Aberdeen I'm wondering if it actually reads Slains. What do you think? Have you managed to find James in the 1871 census? It would be interesting to see what his place of birth was!
Regard,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 May 12 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi flst,

Don't be sorry about the questions!! I've got millions spinning round in my head.  ;D

Yes, it is entirely possible that James (not Andrew) was working away and not with his parents in 1841.

James' DC (4th Nov. 1870, West Calder, West Lothian) gave his father as James Andrew, Farmer (deceased) and mother as Ann Andrew m.s. Cadger.

My reason for thinking Ann might have been the daughter of James & Margaret is simply that she's the only Ann Cadger I can find on the IGI.

I have the OPR's for the births of Janet Hart Andrew in 1851 and John Andrew in 1853, both in Bo'ness - no witnesses.

Also have the OPR for the banns/marriage of James & Janet Hart in Bo'ness in 1849. (Both of 'this' Parish)

No, I haven't looked at the Census image yet - so that's a good suggestion but he won't be on the 1871 as he died in 1870.

Anne

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 12 08:45 BST (UK) »
Meant to say ....

Also have the OPR birth for James Junior, 1851 Bo'ness, mother Jean Hart (rather than Jane), again, no witnesses.

Anne

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 May 12 08:52 BST (UK) »
Looked again on SP for a birth of a James Andrew* between 1824 - 1831 (leaving parents blank) in Aberdeenshire - 2 listed, none in Slain(e)s.

James Andrew born 20.01.1827 to Alexander Andrew & Margaret Webster in New Deer

James Andrew born 20.06.1827 to Alexander Andrew & Mary Gray in Kemnay.

Anne