Author Topic: Motley's of Lincolnshire, England  (Read 8343 times)

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Motley's of Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 May 12 22:08 BST (UK) »
You have a wonderful sense of humor.  Thank you so much for your help.  I am on to the next Motley, John Motley (b. 1699  d. 1740) and Elizabeth Mary Hall (b. 1700  d.  1763) I think the Motley's go way back in Lincolnshire.  I am hoping that this will be much easier to trace.   ;D

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 May 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
She was just Mary HALL ... see about halfway down, right-hand page here http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=650581&iid=143526

I actually have a MOTLEY ancestor of my own (Frances born c1737) but have no idea from whence she came.  :(

To return to the subject of spelling ... if I am the tenth generation of WEATHERHOGGs, none of my forefathers nor I able to read or write, and the vicar writes WHETHERHOG, I certainly can't tell him he's wrong.

If your name is MOTLEY and an ancestor has spelt it MOTTLEY, who is spelling whose name wrongly? ;)

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 May 12 23:28 BST (UK) »
I don't have a Thomas Motley in my lineage.  But I might be wrong.  What I have for my lineage is:  Grace Motley 1906 - 1982 (my grandmother) to Charles Motley 1855 - 1929, to William Motley 1801 - 1860, to William Motley 1776 - 1871, to James Motley  1730 - 1783, to John Motley 1699 - ? , Richard Motley 1668 - 1714, to Robert Motley 1623 - 1675, and lastly, William Motley 1591 - 1638.
I have only verified through James Motley, thanks to you, so far. So the rest of the line is still a maybe.  Got most of the info from familysearch and ancestor.com.  But from what you have said, it could very well be all wrong.
I don't think the Motley's were educated with writing, so you are right on the money when you said who really knows the correct spelling of the names.
The Motley seem to be very prolific!!!!  Are we related?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 May 12 07:55 BST (UK) »
 When I see something repeated that much, seems reasonable that that would be correct.[/b]  

I think that is what we would all think  ;)

It is good to see that you are checking the facts that have been posted on Anc*   Sadly, as you have seen by the number of duplicate postings people do not check these things for themselves and happily copy them on to their own tree.  You were not happy with the information insomuch as Sarah would have been so old at the birth of William. I didn't like the fact that they had both James and Sarah being born in Lincolnshire but married in Bristol then returning to Lincolnshire to have the children.  :)

The Lincstothepast website that Geoff links to you is an excellent resource, I wish more of my family were in Lincolnshire.  ;D

Happy Hunting

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 January 13 06:51 GMT (UK) »

Offline Graham GD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 September 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
I think I can help you,because I too am related to the Motley's.

Go to www.thesignsofthetimes.com.au  click on surnames list.The compiler of this AMAZING site is
also related to the Motley's.