Author Topic: Michael O'Connor  (Read 11621 times)

Offline biggus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael O'Connor
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 03:00 BST (UK) »
That's fine! I'm an absolute novice. Patick Hoare married Brigid O'Connor circa 1826, arrived Tas. on 'Great Tasmania' 27/2/57. Children: Thomas b1827; Bridget b1831; John b1833;Michael b1835; James b1838; Patrick b1842; Margaret b1844; Mary 1852.

Our Line:- Patrick m Catherine Hannan 1868 Children:- James Hoare b1868; Kate b1870; Patrick b1872 (off to W.A. in gold boom); Sarah b1876; Florence b1879 m Callan; John 1881; Lilly m Kennedy (son Cec (great uncle married Daphne, lived Lane Cove worked local PMG, only son Keith); Thomas Henry 1885; William (alias Hilbury).

Our Grandparents: James m. Sarah Booth (2nd Marriage): Children:- James Henry b1902 d 1968 m Grace Steer, 1 daughter; William Stephen Hoare b1904 d 23/3/84;m  Madge McDonald 4C; Norm b1908 d 1946 (drowned Lorne);Verna b1911 d1991 mBert Taylor 2c; Alma b1916 m Maurice Dickins 5c.

Can provide  info further info upon request including information on the two Patrick Hoare's

best wishes,

Biggus

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 06:17 BST (UK) »
 :DThanks Biggus for reply. The information was very interesting and I enjoyed reading it. It does however conflict with Bridget O'Connor arriving with Michael on the Maitland.The number of Irish Bridgets and Patricks does become convoluted to say the least.Will look into the details you've given me next time I visit W Aust Genealogy Society.

I was intrigued with your connection to a Catherine Hannan. Wonder whether she was connected to Paddy Hannan who discovered the famous goldfields at Kalgoorlie.

Colonial Tasmania Archive has a great deal of accessible information on line.There are some pages I could recite in my sleep. Your Hoare family are mentioned under "Arrivals" on Great Tasmania on the date you gave.

Thank you again. Cheers, Hyjean 8) 

Offline biggus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hyjean,
I agree with you.  It is a puzzle especially considering Brigid's birth year  is the same.  I have no information about  Catherine Hannan (Haring).  I haven't explored that line at all.
Further information on the Hoare line:- Allen Hoare, of 13 Gridge Gve South launceston in a letter to Geraldine Hoare in Feb 1987 provides further info as follows  . . .
"I had previously read an article that no Catholic priest was brought out to Tas for the 1st 30 years of settlement.  So although both Patrick Hoare and Catherine Hannan (Haring) were Catholics they were married by a Minister of the Free Church of Scotland.  Their  1st child James was born only 21 days after the wedding.  Sothey may have experienced difficulty with that.  nevertheless it is interesting to note that all children were baptized into the Catholic  church (the church of Apostles Launceston). Geraldine says "I also report that my father told me that our Great Grandmother (Catherine Hannan(Haring some question regarding surname) had probably been a ward of the state and left in the care of Mr. & Mrs. Shanahan or similar name." "Patrick Hoare (the 3rd.) by 1872 left Tas to go to WA before the end of the century and was never heard from again.  William resided in the Portarlington area and went under the surname of Hilbury.  In respect of Aunts two of them married brothers by the name of Kennedy, one married a Mr. Callan (Callum?) and the other a Mr. Toyne; to the best of my knowledge both were from Geelong.  There are not many Hoare surnames appearing in the three divisional telephone directories and further I have no knowledge of the other three sons and three daughters or any of their offspring in Tas.

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Biggus- that was most interesting re the marriage and christenings.

I have recently had a "haul" and found that before the Church of 12 Apostles Launceston. Tas which is now obliterated there was a St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in Launceston. The priest a Thomas Butler caused all the confusion. I can just imagine an Irish accent and his interpretation.
He married my forebears and when children came along he continued to write the incorrect name on the records.(They were illiterate.) Hence my paying $40 to receive a certificate of no record.

As mentioned "Bridget Hoare relict of Patrick Hoare" died at the home of Michael O'Connor of Cimitiere Street, Launceston. Trove reference.

Michael turns out to be the 3rd husband of my forebear.

Cheers and happy searching. Thanks for sharing.

Hyjean

Offline biggus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 06:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hyjean,

Most interesting!  I have forwarded your information on to the sibs as well as the extended family of cousins and second cousins.

Your digging is appreciated and fills in another piece of the genealogical puzzle.

Thank you once again.

Biggus

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 06:36 BST (UK) »
Have now found out that Michael O'Connor was married to a Bridget before he left Ireland. His sister Bridget did marry Patrick Hoare and they had a raft of children who left Ireland with them for Tasmania in Jan 1857.He was 50 and she was 48 at that time.

The woman Michael married later formerly Bridget Redden married a Michael Cusack in 1852  then a Patrick  Cassidy in 1855 . Patrick died 1861 . What she did in the meantime is anyones guess but in 1874 Bridget married Michael O Connor. His wife had died about 8 weeks earlier. Michael was a fellow passenger of the Maitland in 1854 when she was 20. all from Co Clare.

Not sure where exactly Michael came from but Bridget Redden married Michael Cusack in 1852 giving their address as Quin/ Clooney.

Interesting that Paddy Hannan( who discovered gold in Kalgoorlie) was from Quin born 1840.
SO the Hannan detail connection may have a bearing.

Cheers. Hyjean

Offline biggus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 August 13 08:11 BST (UK) »
Dear Hjean,

Thanks so much for the email.  I am really very grateful.  As I have said before this is all very new to me and the effect it creates when I receive this new information has a  powerful emotional impact.  It sounds clichéd I know but I have an expanded sense of self, that my roots and connections run deeper.

Thanks once more.  Let’s keep in touch.

Best wishes,

Michael

Offline cattledog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 March 14 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Biggus,
Are you offspring of Alma & Maurie? I am the offspring of Cecil & Daphne.
PM me if you feel so inclined, would love to compare Hoare family research.

Offline cattledog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Biggus,
You posts have provided me with valuable information that I did not have before.
Thank you,
Keith